MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Postby herb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:41 am

Tciso wrote:MayRay got his back broken, and we lost the ability to rush the puck with speed. And after that, we played the style the Bruins wanted us to play. MayRay's broken back was a huge reason that we lost the series. Oh, and the fact that AV was once again out-coached, and didn't bother to adapt the Canucks style to the new opponent.

We lost that serious largely because Mason Raymond got injured?

Losing Mason Raymond, he of 15 goals that season and 2 in those playoffs, was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back?

Jesus…
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:55 am

I'm confused. Is Raymond the broken back or the straw in that analogy?
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:58 am

dbr wrote:I'm confused. Is Raymond the broken back or the straw in that analogy?

Both if you swing that way.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby herb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:03 am

Topper wrote:
dbr wrote:I'm confused. Is Raymond the broken back or the straw in that analogy?

Both if you swing that way.

Raymond's injury was the end of the season. We should have just packed up and gone home once he went down. You see guys, there’s just no way the team could have won that series once “MayRay” went down due to injury.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:07 am

On the plus side, it was incontrovertible evidence that he has a spine..
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby BurningBeard » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:28 am

Raymond is the straw. I wouldn't compare him to a camel, that would be quite unfair to camels.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby BurningBeard » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:33 am

herb wrote:We lost that serious largely because Mason Raymond got injured?

I think if you're going to start ripping apart that series and look at every minor detail, you might as well throw Rome's hit on Horton in there. Not because loosing Rome to suspension lost the series (although having a healthy D-man in game 7 would have been nice), but because it seemed to "wake up" Boston to a certain extent.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Mondi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:53 am

I think its time to stop dissecting the 2011 SCF.

It's is over, its been over for 24+ months. Vancouver lost. Vancouver got shit-kicked in the four losses and barely held on in the three wins.

*Edit* Another thing I could do without is discussing Ryan Kesler's play against Nashville. And, probably that stupid Boston regular season game in 2012.

How about this Bo Horvat kid?! First unit PP?
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby donlever » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:19 am

Mondi wrote:I think its time to stop dissecting the 2011 SCF.

lol, no shit.

Bunch o' fukin masochists round these here parts....
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ESQ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:42 am

FAN wrote: Luongo's playoff meltdowns have become such a regular occurrence that no lead is safe in the playoffs with Luongo in net.

This is what's hilarious to me. Luongo has had five leads to work with in the playoffs since SCF 2011, his record is 3-2. That's five leads in 11 starts.
Part of a goaltender's job is to keep the team in the game. He hasn't done that on a consistent basis in the playoffs. For some reason he's been almost mentally fragile after his first series against the Hawks.

I believe he has among the highest series-winning percentage of any goalie in the League with more than 2 post-season appearances. Niemi is better thanks to the Cup run in his rookie year, but not since then. Crawford and Rask have better series records but in only 2 playoff appearances.

IMO he gets full blame for the first Chicago series, but other than that? What is the "meltdown" in 2010? They were never in that series, had half a defense, and Sami Salo was playing after losing a nut. He never "gave up a lead" vs. Boston. He was the team MVP in that series, which shows how terrible the TEAM was.

I can excuse a bad start, but how many games have we watched Luongo get shelled after looking sharp for more than 20 minutes? That's not a bad start.

I don't know, you tell me: how many times? Maybe 5? 10? Over the course of 440 starts? How many times have we seen Schneider do the same thing over his less than 100 starts? I can think of at least 4 regular season games, and game 3 this year (2 goals in 9 seconds, 3 in 3 minutes when it was a one-goal game).

I'm not trying to shit on Schneider. I hoped that he could pull a fluke Cup run together, a la Niemi, Crawford, Ward, Fleury, etc. etc. But he couldn't do it. Now Schneider has upside and potential, but he hasn't accomplished anything and if he's lucky he will reach the level of Luongo, which is amongst the 5 greatest goalies of the past two decades.

Brodeur went a decade between Finals appearances. Luongo is the kind of goalie that could pull a similar feat, I'm not so sure Schneider is in that class.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Terrible trade.

I guess getting nothing for Luongo just rankled GMMG to the point where he figured trading away a perennial Vezina candidate for a kid who might be a good 2nd line center in four or five years was a good idea. Oh, and let's not even let Captain Emoticon the playoff meltdown king know we plan on keeping him 'till after the fact. :lol:

You guys are such fucking homers. If someone had approached this board with NJ's first-rounder for Schneider last week he'd have been laughed out of here. This Horvat kid looks like he'll be good but we're definitely not talking superstar material here.

Now suddenly Cory isn't that great and Torts is going to make an aging Luongo keep his composure in the playoffs? LOL. We'll be lucky to make the playoffs this year and any shot we had at riding a hot goaltender to a Cup is gone.

This site reads like Bountiful right now, seriously.

Anyway I don't have time to get into this, but when Cory's STILL the best statistical goaltender in the league in a couple years a lot of you are going to look pretty silly.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Tiger » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:Terrible trade.

I guess getting nothing for Luongo just rankled GMMG to the point where he figured trading away a perennial Vezina candidate for a kid who might be a good 2nd line center in four or five years was a good idea. Oh, and let's not even let Captain Emoticon the playoff meltdown king know we plan on keeping him 'till after the fact. :lol:

You guys are such fucking homers. If someone had approached this board with NJ's first-rounder for Schneider last week he'd have been laughed out of here. This Horvat kid looks like he'll be good but we're definitely not talking superstar material here.

Now suddenly Cory isn't that great and Torts is going to make an aging Luongo keep his composure in the playoffs? LOL. We'll be lucky to make the playoffs this year and any shot we had at riding a hot goaltender to a Cup is gone.

This site reads like Bountiful right now, seriously.

Anyway I don't have time to get into this, but when Cory's STILL the best statistical goaltender in the league in a couple years a lot of you are going to look pretty silly.

+1 .. Schneider in the top 5 .. 2 years in a row..
Luongo ? ranking between 12 and 16.. last 2 years..
Purely an ass saving ploy by MG.. a 9th for a top goaltender with a decent contract ?? :(
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:29 pm

90% of the hockey world thinks we got fleeced but 95% of this board thinks it's a great move. :lol:

Like I said, shades of Cowpuke...
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ORCA » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:38 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:90% of the hockey world thinks we got fleeced but 95% of this board thinks it's a great move. :lol:

What, exactly, do you do then Rummy?

If you are Gillis, you don't have the option of buying Luongo out. Exactly how much of the future do you give up in addition to a "free" goalie in order to get another team to finally bite on Bob?

The trade may not be great, its early to tell. But, all conditions surrounding Vancouver goalie situation would point to this being the "best" decision to make.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
ORCA
CC Veteran

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:44 pm

ORCA wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:90% of the hockey world thinks we got fleeced but 95% of this board thinks it's a great move. :lol:

What, exactly, do you do then Rummy?

If you are Gillis, you don't have the option of buying Luongo out. Exactly how much of the future do you give up in addition to a "free" goalie in order to get another team to finally bite on Bob?

The trade may not be great, its early to tell. But, all conditions surrounding Vancouver goalie situation would point to this being the "best" decision to make.

I buy out Luongo if I can't get a pick for him, and I use the extra mill and a half to bolster my roster. I don't trade away the cornerstone of the fucking franchise for a second-liner.

I do not believe Gillis didn't have the option of buying out Luongo, or that a trade for a pick wouldn't have materialized as the other available goaltenders were locked up.

Lack and Ericsson might become solid NHL goaltenders. They also might not. We knew what we had in Cory and so did the rest of the NHL. I refuse to believe the ninth overall pick in a strong draft is the most we could have gotten for him.

Lou desperately wants the hell out of here, and we're going to end up having to dump him anyway once things go south, you watch.

Then we''ll really be fucked.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat