2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby dbr » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:56 am

Unless they pull of another bold move (or are just going to fuck with Gary and abuse the cap all year long again, a la 2010-11) I don't see the Canucks making a big free agent signing this year.

Apparently we've talked to Matt Hendricks' agent, he's a fourth liner from the Caps who is great on faceoffs (56%), can play all three forward positions and isn't afraid to mix it up. Not going to bother going to look it up but if you're into possession data apparently it paints a flattering picture of this guy.

As for the bargain bin - it will be interesting to see whether the Canucks take this offseason as an opportunity to find young players who could get their careers back on track in Vancouver, or older guys who are a bit more "what you see is what you get."

There are a handful of interesting youngsters out there, I like Matt Halischuk and Colton Gillies to compete for a bottom six role and Jon Blum and Bobby Sanguinett to give us another mobile right shooting defenseman... not sure if any of them are going to end up sticking in the league but they've all got potential (less so with Gillies, who I'd probably try to sneak through waivers to Utica).
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Southern_Canuck » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:00 am

ODB wrote:I'd take Iggy in a heart beat (at the right cat hit)!


Watch out, spooner!
It's a great day for hockey!
User avatar
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Jovocop » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:50 am

ESQ wrote:So far the only UFA RHD I've found is Roszival, who apparently had a bit of a renaissance in Chicago.


Jonathan Blum just became an UFA. A RHD with offensive potential.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1712
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Aaronp18 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:56 am

Jovocop wrote:
ESQ wrote:So far the only UFA RHD I've found is Roszival, who apparently had a bit of a renaissance in Chicago.


Jonathan Blum just became an UFA.


Blum would be interesting. Likely come cheap and he played in Vancouver with the Giants.

He is only 24, he's played well in the WHL and AHL. May just need a change of scenery.
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Jovocop » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:10 am

Aaronp18 wrote:Blum would be interesting. Likely come cheap and he played in Vancouver with the Giants.

He is only 24, he's played well in the WHL and AHL. May just need a change of scenery.


TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040
MT @steveewen: UFA dman Jon Blum, the former @WHLGiant, says the Canucks are one of the teams that contacted his agent. "I would love that."

Scott Rintoul ‏@ScottRintoul
RT @steveewen: More Blum + #Canucks : "It's like my 2nd home.It would b a good transition 4 me.There would b a lot of familiar faces."

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1712
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Lancer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:13 am

Jovocop wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:Blum would be interesting. Likely come cheap and he played in Vancouver with the Giants.

He is only 24, he's played well in the WHL and AHL. May just need a change of scenery.


TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040
MT @steveewen: UFA dman Jon Blum, the former @WHLGiant, says the Canucks are one of the teams that contacted his agent. "I would love that."

Scott Rintoul ‏@ScottRintoul
RT @steveewen: More Blum + #Canucks : "It's like my 2nd home.It would b a good transition 4 me.There would b a lot of familiar faces."



Meh, never a bad thing to add cheap depth on D - as long as it's cheap.

He can't be any worse than Barker...

...can he? :|
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Arachnid » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:21 am

ODB wrote:I'd take Iggy in a heart beat (at the right cat hit)!

I don't believe Iginla has much left offensively. His best days are definitely behind him but he'll still get ya 25 goals, 50/60 points.

I think the real benefit would be having a professional like Iginla show our kids, Horvat, Gaunce, Kassian and Shinkaruk what it takes to be a pro. I can't think of a better mentor in the game right now. Say what you want about Iginla's diminishing skills, he's a leader, professional and truly one of the games good guys. IMO, there's value in what he can teach our young guys.

And he'll pot you 25!

If you can fit a guy like Iggy into our cap (I don't really see how), you do it!

Just my humble opinion. :thumbs:


Meow?! :eh: ...is that waht you pussies say in the only big province without an NHL team :P

Sounds like a Mike Gillis move...a shit-for-GM for sure!

BD would agree!
Socks are dead puppets :(
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4912
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Eddy Punch Clock » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:34 am

Southern_Canuck wrote:
ODB wrote:I'd take Iggy in a heart beat (at the right cat hit)!


Watch out, spooner!


:lol:
2011..... the one that got away.
User avatar
Eddy Punch Clock
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:35 am
Location: The Wack

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby BCExpat » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:52 am

The rumor on Calpuck is that Mason Raymond will be signing a contract with the Flames tomorrow. Well, if nothing else, the Flames will be a fast team next year, especially if Poirier makes the team.
Feaster Famine
User avatar
BCExpat
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby donlever » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:53 am

...well that should be a barrel of laughs for y'all.

Prepare to be driven nuts...and a lot of falling down.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:54 am

Not a horrible signing for the Flames. Local kid with speed to burn, but he won't get many greasy goals. Not a fit on a contending team but he could fit on a team that is looking to fill out its top 6 with no real ambition of making the playoffs. Curious as to how much dough he will get.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3035
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby ORCA » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:55 am

BCExpat wrote:The rumor on Calpuck is that Mason Raymond will be signing a contract with the Flames tomorrow. Well, if nothing else, the Flames will be a fast team next year, especially if Poirier makes the team.



I hope Hamhuis hipchecks him into an unrenovated row of the Saddledome.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
User avatar
ORCA
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: Right Behind You

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby BCExpat » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:04 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Not a horrible signing for the Flames. Local kid with speed to burn, but he won't get many greasy goals. Not a fit on a contending team but he could fit on a team that is looking to fill out its top 6 with no real ambition of making the playoffs. Curious as to how much dough he will get.



I completely agree with this. The Flames just need to fill out the roster for now. They should be concentrating on building through the draft. They will be drafting high in the next two years - with a chance at getting Ekblad and McDavid. If not those two, then they should be drafting still get some pretty good prospects.
Feaster Famine
User avatar
BCExpat
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby Hank » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm sure Raymond will get a consistent offensive role to put up some points for the Flames. He'll be a useful player for them.

Just wondering if they'll end up with Matthew Lombardi 2.0?
Hank
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Postby BurningBeard » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:28 pm

BCExpat wrote:The rumor on Calpuck is that Mason Raymond will be signing a contract with the Flames tomorrow. Well, if nothing else, the Flames will be a fast team next year, especially if Poirier makes the team.

How do you people live with yourselves? Christ.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
User avatar
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests