Hansen - contract extension needed!!!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Hansen - contract extension needed!!!

Post by Tciso »

Hansen is on the last year of his contract. I mentioned this last summer, but, I think it is time the Canucks lock him up long term. Goofballs like Bozak are asking $5mil/season. Hansen is not in quite that league, but looking at his performance, he could easily ask $3.5mil, and be worth it. I'd love to see GMMG sign him to a 5 yr $10mil contract extension before this season starts. He's the kinda guy I want long term on my 3rd line, and I'd hate to see him slip away.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Topper
CC Legend

Re: Hansen - contract extension needed!!!

Post by Topper »

and trade Burrows.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I was thinking that, there's your next bold move.

Or is it to trade Hansen because he's got value, and hitch your wagon to Burrows? :crazy:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

No old mules pulling my wagon.

Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Whatever Gillis does regarding an extension for Hansen...

Please, Please, PLEASE

No NMC/NTC ;)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

More concerned about whether the twins are back or not. How many third line wingers does this team need ? Higgins, Hansen, soon to be Burrows..... Booth. two of these HAVE to be gone by the 14-15 season.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

If Hansen doesn't have a breakout season offensively (doesn't look like he's capable of scoring 20+) I'd consider moving him at the deadline. Like blob said, too many 3rd/4th line tweeners and hopefully we see some youngsters push themselves up the depth chart this year.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The next BOLD moves should involve trying to trade the remaining contracts of players whose last name begin with "B".
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:More concerned about whether the twins are back or not. How many third line wingers does this team need ? Higgins, Hansen, soon to be Burrows..... Booth. two of these HAVE to be gone by the 14-15 season.
herb wrote:If Hansen doesn't have a breakout season offensively (doesn't look like he's capable of scoring 20+) I'd consider moving him at the deadline. Like blob said, too many 3rd/4th line tweeners and hopefully we see some youngsters push themselves up the depth chart this year.
After reading both of these I think that we are likely going to be paying Burrows as an expensive 3rd line winger in a couple of years. Higgins, Hansen, and Booth, are the movable parts as none of them have NTCs. Burrows' NTC went into effect on July 1st.

Burrows can be just as effective as Hansen in a third line role, and I think he's a guy that can move up the lineup a bit easier in the even of injuries. He's just going to cost more. But that's still doable if the kids are getting time and he's the vet playing with Horvat and Shinkaruk a few seasons from now.

Higgins is cheap and when he's on his game is a good 2nd line support winger, but I don't like him much in a 3rd line role unless it is to provide tertiary scoring on a team that rolls 3 scoring lines and a 4th line that plays a checking/shutdown role.

Booth needs to have a good year this season, and to be honest, with his injury problems, if he's healthy and putting up points, then Gillis should shop him at the deadline or next year's draft to maximize the return and not hang on to him until his injury prone nature bites even further into the Canucks ass.....I would think the latter if he's actually helping the team with some scoring production.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:and trade Burrows.
Hank wrote: The next BOLD moves should involve trying to trade the remaining contracts of players whose last name begin with "B".
I'm a bit puzzled by the Burrows hate.

The guy has scored so many big goals for this team, he plays in every situation, he's even cleaned up his act on the ice. He even took a major haircut on his previous contract to allow GMMG to keep the core together and add depth to help the team. When he signed that $2M deal he could easily have gotten close to $4M somewhere else.

Is it purely because of his reputation that people want him gone?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

dbr wrote:I was thinking that, there's your next bold move.
Hansen's next bold move should be showing up during the playoffs.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I would start the extension talks with him and then see how he fits in with Torts. Hansen should fit in just fine and I'll look to give him 4 years, Higgins money, limited NTC.

I don't understand the talk about Hansen not being a good 3rd line player. If anything, Hansen is an ideal 3rd line player. He's not a good 2nd line player and he's certainly not a 3rd line/4th line tweener.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

FAN wrote:I would start the extension talks with him and then see how he fits in with Torts. Hansen should fit in just fine and I'll look to give him 4 years, Higgins money, limited NTC.

I don't understand the talk about Hansen not being a good 3rd line player. If anything, Hansen is an ideal 3rd line player. He's not a good 2nd line player and he's certainly not a 3rd line/4th line tweener.
How about no NTC. We've got WAY too many of those here right now.

Hank, Danny, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Luongo, Higgins (limited).....

That's half of the roster sitting pretty with NTC's and zero worry of accountability in that department.

Schneider wasn't given any NTC, Hansen shouldn't get one either.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Torts wants high energy forecheck -> Jannick

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote:I'm a bit puzzled by the Burrows hate.

The guy has scored so many big goals for this team, he plays in every situation, he's even cleaned up his act on the ice. He even took a major haircut on his previous contract to allow GMMG to keep the core together and add depth to help the team. When he signed that $2M deal he could easily have gotten close to $4M somewhere else.

Is it purely because of his reputation that people want him gone?
At the time Burrows signed his deal he had 38 career goals over 268 games played, I don't think anyone would have expected him to get anywhere near that kind of money in the free agent market - compare Burrows numbers at the time to Michael Ryder, who the season before had been the same age, had 99 goals in 314 games and got $4m.

Anyway while the Canucks have benefited tremendously from Burrows last deal he also benefited tremendously from the security of a four year contract at that rate, he was not even two seasons removed from scoring 3 goals over 81 games and showing up at training camp where he was told by the coach he was finished if he didn't step up.

Burrows isn't owed anything because he was good value on his last contract, and IMO if he felt he was and wanted to cash in he'd have to do it somewhere else. No team can afford to waste cap space out of gratitude for past service and I don't want the Canucks doing it ever.

Anyway Burrows is 32 now and will be 33 at the start of the next playoffs, he'll be 37 when his current deal expires - the smart money is on him being considerably less effective as the deal wears on, he has trade value right now and when you compartmentalize what he has to offer to this team (good linemate for the Sedins, good two-way play) none of it seems particularly irreplaceable.

That and his reputation sucks.

If a team out there was willing to give up a good young player for Alex Burrows, I would seriously consider it - while the cap space we have now isn't enough to make an upgrade, adding it to Burrows' $4.5m could mean shopping for a pretty damned good player.. and if we can put players like Kassian, Hansen etc with the Sedins without their production drying up then we'd actually be able to ice two scoring lines.

All that being said, given the structure of his contract ($2m bonus + $4m salary, $1.5m bonus + $3.5m salary, $4m salary, $3m salary) I would guess the team will keep him at the very least through 7/1/2014 and then look at moving him if they don't feel he'll be full value for his cap hit afterwards.

Uhh moving right along, Jannik Hansen.. :look: ... he's a great third liner. Would sign again.