Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:28 pm

Meds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Ya the Flyers will find a way. Too bad Edler's no trade kicked in :mrgreen: Hey maybe they will trade Ballard to the Flyers. Ya think?

For what?

The Flyers are strapped now. Edler's $5M or Ballard's $4M aren't salaries they'll be taking on.....

Meds we can help them with that. They take Ballard's 4.2 or whatever it is and we take Luke Schenn and that Coutierierierierieir kid. Math works. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: In fact they would save money in the deal.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby tantalum » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:37 am

The Flyers are strapped but not really with Prongers $5 mil a year counting towards the cap. He'll never play again. They might not be able to use the LTIR space (if he isn't on the roster to begin the season), but they have room right now despite what capgeek thinks. (capgeek I think also has them at a 25 man roster right now)

Of course they have no goaltending.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Lancer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:46 am

tantalum wrote:The Flyers are strapped but not really with Prongers $5 mil a year counting towards the cap. He'll never play again. They might not be able to use the LTIR space (if he isn't on the roster to begin the season), but they have room right now despite what capgeek thinks. (capgeek I think also has them at a 25 man roster right now)

That's been the Flyers' MO ever since Hextall, why change now?

It must kill them to be reminded of Bobrovski's Vezina trophy and the amount they will be paying Bryzgalov for years. How everybody slags Gillis while Holmgren gets a free pass, I'll never know.

If I were the league, I'd be sending some independent docs to do their own examination of Pronger. The guy looked pretty bright-eyed and bushy-tailed when interviewed at the draft. Cap circumvention anyone???? But wait, who's a bum-buddy of Bettman in a key league market? That's right... never gonna happen... :scowl:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby tantalum » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:54 am

If Pronger could play he would. 6 months ago he was still experiencing severe symptoms. I believe the last part of the year he was able to do some local scouting activities for the Flyers. It is doubtful he'll ever play again as he is one hit away from being an even bigger vegetable than he has been his whole life. I figure at some point the NHL will have to step in and say, fine he can't play again but using him as a LTIR buffer ain't gonna happen anymore.

You know the Flyer thinking on goaltenders right now is: Fine Columbus we gave you a Vezina winner but now you have given us one! And a year from now we'll again be talking about how the Flyers still don't have goaltender that isn't a sieve.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:04 am

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... izona.html

Looks like the Phoenix Coyotes will be staying in Phoenix for the forseeable future.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:09 am

Also, Pascal Dupuis got a four year $15m contract covering his 33-37 year old seasons.

Smacks of "keeping the band together" to me, and makes Alex Burrows' extension look okay by comparison.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby BurningBeard » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:23 am

tantalum wrote:It is doubtful he'll ever play again as he is one hit away from being an even bigger vegetable than he has been his whole life. I figure at some point the NHL will have to step in and say, fine he can't play again but using him as a LTIR buffer ain't gonna happen anymore.

That's fine but what are they going to do, force him to retire officially? I think that will open up a huge can of worms because my understanding is the Flyers screwed up when they signed him and he's on a 35+ contract. I'm pretty sure that means they have to carry his cap hit.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby ESQ » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:08 am

BurningBeard wrote:
tantalum wrote:It is doubtful he'll ever play again as he is one hit away from being an even bigger vegetable than he has been his whole life. I figure at some point the NHL will have to step in and say, fine he can't play again but using him as a LTIR buffer ain't gonna happen anymore.

That's fine but what are they going to do, force him to retire officially? I think that will open up a huge can of worms because my understanding is the Flyers screwed up when they signed him and he's on a 35+ contract. I'm pretty sure that means they have to carry his cap hit.

That's what is so weird about cap circumvention. Clearly the Flyers are circumventing the cap by keeping a retired player on LTIR.

Clearly the Islanders are circumventing the cap when they trade for, then suspend, then don't pay Tim Thomas but use a loophole to have it count against the cap floor.

And of course if Roberto gets "injured" and tries to stay on LTIR to end his contract, there will be hell to pay for the Canucks in spite of the terrible precedent set by the League.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Vader » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:46 am

ESQ wrote:That's what is so weird about cap circumvention. Clearly the Flyers are circumventing the cap by keeping a retired player on LTIR.

Clearly the Islanders are circumventing the cap when they trade for, then suspend, then don't pay Tim Thomas but use a loophole to have it count against the cap floor.

And of course if Roberto gets "injured" and tries to stay on LTIR to end his contract, there will be hell to pay for the Canucks in spite of the terrible precedent set by the League.

If Pronger retired then he'd be forfeting millions of dollars due to him under his contract. And let's face it, he isn't medically cleared to play.

Islander's acquired Thomas to stay above the floor in the event they offloaded a salary - which never happened. Nobody care's about the floor anyways, it's the ceiling where real circumvention occurs
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby tantalum » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:16 am

Bingo. Pronger may be all but officially retired but he would be an absolute idiot to forfeit his millions. And given he isn't and likely never will be medically cleared to play (independent doctor or not) it is hard to argue that he shouldn't be on the IR.
Last edited by tantalum on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ESQ » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:17 am

Vader wrote:If Pronger retired then he'd be forfeting millions of dollars due to him under his contract. And let's face it, he isn't medically cleared to play.

Islander's acquired Thomas to stay above the floor in the event they offloaded a salary - which never happened. Nobody care's about the floor anyways, it's the ceiling where real circumvention occurs

Re. Pronger - I remember looking into the insurance issue a while back during the Moore lawsuit. I can't recall what he'd be entitled to if he retired due to injury.

Unless I'm misreading capgeek, I believe the NYI did count Thomas against the cap, to the tune of 80% of his salary - http://www.capgeek.com/islanders/archive/

Plus they didn't hit the floor that was announced last summer (don't know what the floor was set at in new CBA though, it must have changed). If the floor was maintained, and Thomas did count, they were actually $5 million below the salary floor.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby herb » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:12 pm

Sounds like Nathan Horton is looking to sign in a non-traditional hockey market. He wants a quieter life according to LeBrun. I guess he won his cup, just wants to cash in, get fewer head injuries and hang out with his super hot wife.

Rumblings that Alfredsson is considering signing somewhere other than Ottawa, which is totally ridiculous and he’s obviously going to remain a Senator.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ORCA » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:41 pm

herb wrote:Sounds like Nathan Horton is looking to sign in a non-traditional hockey market. He wants a quieter life according to LeBrun. I guess he won his cup, just wants to cash in, get fewer head injuries and hang out with his super hot wife. Rumblings that Alfredsson is considering signing somewhere other than Ottawa, which is totally ridiculous and he’s obviously going to remain a Senator.

Meh... if you're into perfect bodies. I guess she's alright.

Why the hell do hot women insist on wrecking their faces with lip injections? :bang:
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
ORCA
CC Veteran

Postby Meds » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:02 pm

tantalum wrote:The Flyers are strapped but not really with Prongers $5 mil a year counting towards the cap. He'll never play again. They might not be able to use the LTIR space (if he isn't on the roster to begin the season), but they have room right now despite what capgeek thinks. (capgeek I think also has them at a 25 man roster right now)

That's what we said about Chicago at the beginning of the year.....
Meds
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Arachnid » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:29 pm

herb wrote:Sounds like Nathan Horton is looking to sign in a non-traditional hockey market. He wants a quieter life according to LeBrun. I guess he won his cup, just wants to cash in, get fewer head injuries and hang out with his super hot wife.

Rumblings that Alfredsson is considering signing somewhere other than Ottawa, which is totally ridiculous and he’s obviously going to remain a Senator.

What the hell does that even mean?

Quieter market. Does that mean he doesn't want his team to go to the Finals? He should go to dEdmonton then.

Phoenix is a quiet market for sure. They barely can make it work :roll:

Fucking Horton, sounds like a younger Mike Gillis.... :evil:
4 out of 5 Psychologists agree that a man without a woman is a psycho
Arachnid
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat