Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Vader »

ESQ wrote: That's what is so weird about cap circumvention. Clearly the Flyers are circumventing the cap by keeping a retired player on LTIR.

Clearly the Islanders are circumventing the cap when they trade for, then suspend, then don't pay Tim Thomas but use a loophole to have it count against the cap floor.

And of course if Roberto gets "injured" and tries to stay on LTIR to end his contract, there will be hell to pay for the Canucks in spite of the terrible precedent set by the League.

If Pronger retired then he'd be forfeting millions of dollars due to him under his contract. And let's face it, he isn't medically cleared to play.

Islander's acquired Thomas to stay above the floor in the event they offloaded a salary - which never happened. Nobody care's about the floor anyways, it's the ceiling where real circumvention occurs
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Bingo. Pronger may be all but officially retired but he would be an absolute idiot to forfeit his millions. And given he isn't and likely never will be medically cleared to play (independent doctor or not) it is hard to argue that he shouldn't be on the IR.
Last edited by tantalum on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Vader wrote: If Pronger retired then he'd be forfeting millions of dollars due to him under his contract. And let's face it, he isn't medically cleared to play.

Islander's acquired Thomas to stay above the floor in the event they offloaded a salary - which never happened. Nobody care's about the floor anyways, it's the ceiling where real circumvention occurs
Re. Pronger - I remember looking into the insurance issue a while back during the Moore lawsuit. I can't recall what he'd be entitled to if he retired due to injury.

Unless I'm misreading capgeek, I believe the NYI did count Thomas against the cap, to the tune of 80% of his salary - http://www.capgeek.com/islanders/archive/

Plus they didn't hit the floor that was announced last summer (don't know what the floor was set at in new CBA though, it must have changed). If the floor was maintained, and Thomas did count, they were actually $5 million below the salary floor.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Sounds like Nathan Horton is looking to sign in a non-traditional hockey market. He wants a quieter life according to LeBrun. I guess he won his cup, just wants to cash in, get fewer head injuries and hang out with his super hot wife.

Rumblings that Alfredsson is considering signing somewhere other than Ottawa, which is totally ridiculous and he’s obviously going to remain a Senator.
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

herb wrote:Sounds like Nathan Horton is looking to sign in a non-traditional hockey market. He wants a quieter life according to LeBrun. I guess he won his cup, just wants to cash in, get fewer head injuries and hang out with his super hot wife. Rumblings that Alfredsson is considering signing somewhere other than Ottawa, which is totally ridiculous and he’s obviously going to remain a Senator.
Meh... if you're into perfect bodies. I guess she's alright.

Why the hell do hot women insist on wrecking their faces with lip injections? :bang:
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

tantalum wrote:The Flyers are strapped but not really with Prongers $5 mil a year counting towards the cap. He'll never play again. They might not be able to use the LTIR space (if he isn't on the roster to begin the season), but they have room right now despite what capgeek thinks. (capgeek I think also has them at a 25 man roster right now)

Of course they have no goaltending.
That's what we said about Chicago at the beginning of the year.....
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:Sounds like Nathan Horton is looking to sign in a non-traditional hockey market. He wants a quieter life according to LeBrun. I guess he won his cup, just wants to cash in, get fewer head injuries and hang out with his super hot wife.

Rumblings that Alfredsson is considering signing somewhere other than Ottawa, which is totally ridiculous and he’s obviously going to remain a Senator.
What the hell does that even mean?

Quieter market. Does that mean he doesn't want his team to go to the Finals? He should go to dEdmonton then.

Phoenix is a quiet market for sure. They barely can make it work :roll:

Fucking Horton, sounds like a younger Mike Gillis.... :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Stoll rushed to hospital after having seizure. He is fine and expected to be released. No cause given at this time and they likely won't be able to actually determine one I'm guessing.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Lo ... 48331.html
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ORCA wrote:Meh... if you're into perfect bodies. I guess she's alright.
Uhhhh....if you're into gunts I guess she wouldn't have the kind of body you're interested in.

Anyway, wtf is with these guys who want to play their extremely short pro sports careers in “quieter” markets?

Sounds like Horton spent the day checking out Columbus.
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

herb wrote:
ORCA wrote:Meh... if you're into perfect bodies. I guess she's alright.
Uhhhh....if you're into gunts I guess she wouldn't have the kind of body you're interested in.

Anyway, wtf is with these guys who want to play their extremely short pro sports careers in “quieter” markets?

Sounds like Horton spent the day checking out Columbus.

apparently sarcasm was not evident enough.

Re: Work Preferences

Some people don't like to be bothered every time they walk down the street. They are 'matter-of-fact' about their career, about not being a super-star, and the money they make and role they play would not change much no matter where they play.

Also, cost of living has a lot to do with it. I would wager that Nathan Horton's salary would carry him and Ms. Plante a lot further in Columbus (as you've said) than it would in Boston.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ORCA wrote:apparently sarcasm was not evident enough.

Re: Work Preferences

Some people don't like to be bothered every time they walk down the street. They are 'matter-of-fact' about their career, about not being a super-star, and the money they make and role they play would not change much no matter where they play.

Also, cost of living has a lot to do with it. I would wager that Nathan Horton's salary would carry him and Ms. Plante a lot further in Columbus (as you've said) than it would in Boston.
Sarcasm fail on my part…

I get wanting to live in a smaller market to a certain point, but these guys have such short careers. Seems like a waste when they’ll have 50 years to get away from it all once they retire.

Personally, I could see the appeal in going to a smaller market but growing team like Columbus and being a key piece to their future rather than playing second fiddle in Boston to Lucic, Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, etc.

If cost of living was a big factor, you’d see every UFA clamouring to sign in Texas (a no income tax state). Most of these guys want to live the life. They live in big houses, drive flash cars, etc.
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

herb wrote: Personally, I could see the appeal in going to a smaller market but growing team like Columbus and being a key piece to their future rather than playing second fiddle in Boston to Lucic, Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, etc.

If cost of living was a big factor, you’d see every UFA clamouring to sign in Texas (a no income tax state). Most of these guys want to live the life. They live in big houses, drive flash cars, etc.
Absolutely true. Most want to, and most do.

Some hate the pressure and media circus.
Some people who value their "luxury" differently than others. Call it some innate sense of responsibility, or whatever. Some people just really value their private life.

I dunno... its hard to say what I'd do with a medium sized NHL contract for 10-12 years of my life. I'm sure I'd have my fun, but I'd be painfully aware of the end and sock a lot of it away.... at least enough for an education.

Speaking of... why don't more of these guys take summer courses in preparation for the afterlife? Craig MacT did it and now he can fuck up a whole hockey team single handedly. Imagine what others could do...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ORCA wrote:
herb wrote: Personally, I could see the appeal in going to a smaller market but growing team like Columbus and being a key piece to their future rather than playing second fiddle in Boston to Lucic, Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, etc.

Absolutely true. Most want to, and most do.

Some hate the pressure and media circus.
Some people who value their "luxury" differently than others. Call it some innate sense of responsibility, or whatever. Some people just really value their private life.

I dunno... its hard to say what I'd do with a medium sized NHL contract for 10-12 years of my life. I'm sure I'd have my fun, but I'd be painfully aware of the end and sock a lot of it away.... at least enough for an education.

Speaking of... why don't more of these guys take summer courses in preparation for the afterlife? Craig MacT did it and now he can fuck up a whole hockey team single handedly. Imagine what others could do...
Ya but Mac T got a head start when he was in prison. Not a fair comparison. I mean he had all that free time.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Big trade in the works

Boston and Dallas close on a deal sending Tyler Seguin to Stars for Loui Eriksson. :shock:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:Big trade in the works

Boston and Dallas close on a deal sending Tyler Seguin to Stars for Loui Eriksson. :shock:
I guess that would take away their appetite for Alfredsson, no?

That still leaves Detroit as a suitor, but I find it hard to believe Alfredsson would play anywhere but Ottawa. No doubt exercising some dubious leverage for his last contract.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.