MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: GOALIE FUTURE
Eddie Lack
Joacim Eriksson
Joe Cannata

:mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote: GOALIE FUTURE
Eddie Lack
Joacim Eriksson
Joe Cannata

:mex:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not only are THEY laughing at us Doctor...I AM LAUGHING AT US

HA HA FUCKING MIKE GILLIS IS A DICK!

:(
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Mondi wrote: Yo Doc, Tuukka Rask is money, no doubt about it.

This is the first I've heard of panic attacks, can you fill me in?
You mean Tuugoals Fast?

When Panic attacks.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Put this into google Mondi: "panic attack" + "cory schneider" ;)

Gillis just ripped off the Devils big time buddy!! :thumbs:

But seriously, there are reasons all of the major stats sites use a minimum of 200 games rather than... 75.

On sites such as these Lou is Top 5 and Schneids doesn't show up.

Schneider started in the NHL at an older age, which helps his numbers.

Also Schneider was sheltered to a large degree.

Luongo on the other hand was a 21-year-old number one on a crappy team.

The numbers you are using present a distorted view of reality.

Yes Schneids looks really good out there, but he's 27 years old and has averaged a mere 29 games per season.

And just 3 seasons.

It's madness to call him the "all-time NHL leader" in anything at this point.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Spock
CC Veteran

Post by Spock »

Were I Roberto Luongo, I would relish the opportunity to prove to the doubters that they were wrong. I would be back playing with a vengeance. I am certain his team mates are anxious to see how he reacts. Were I a roster player I'd be calling him and tell him how much I look forward to his return.
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Spock of Vulcan
Stardate 2476.8
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:Put this into google Mondi: "panic attack" + "cory schneider" ;)

Gillis just ripped off the Devils big time buddy!! :thumbs:

But seriously, there are reasons all of the major stats sites use a minimum of 200 games rather than... 75.

On sites such as these Lou is Top 5 and Schneids doesn't show up.

Schneider started in the NHL at an older age, which helps his numbers.

Also Schneider was sheltered to a large degree.

Luongo on the other hand was a 21-year-old number one on a crappy team.

The numbers you are using present a distorted view of reality.

Yes Schneids looks really good out there, but he's 27 years old and has averaged a mere 29 games per season.

And just 3 seasons.

It's madness to call him the "all-time NHL leader" in anything at this point.
No doubt, when Luongo was 27 he had already played 317 NHL games for the Panthers.

His record was less than stellar backstopping that joke of an organization, but his numbers were good. His overall totals with the cats were a 2.66 GAA, a .919 SV%, 26 SO's, and faced a whopping 9960 shots in those 5 seasons. His career SV% is better than both Patrick Roy's and Martin Brodeur's.

To even compare and project with Lou and Schneids is just retarded at this point.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Lou arrives in Vancouver and gets to the rink, he's amongst friends.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

ukcanuck wrote: I don't know how you figure Cory outplayed luongo
Luongo has basically turned in 30+ win seasons every year he has been here
Cory has yet to even play 30 games in a season
Umm... watch Canucks games? GAA, SV%, Win% and it's not even close? This year Schneider played more, much better numbers. Last season, Schneider played less, much better numbers (12 less games). Sure Schneider didn't play as many games, but backups don't tend to have much better numbers than starters unless the sample size is very very small.

I would say that Luongo's numbers are affected by the bad games he tends to have, but I'm not going to excuse him for his meltdowns.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I'm not too concerned about Luongo not reporting and playing badly. He isn't going to sit out and he knows that if the Canucks could have traded him they would have. The guy has too much pride and he's a potential hall of famer if he continues to put up numbers.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

FAN wrote:
Umm... watch Canucks games? GAA, SV%, Win% and it's not even close? This year Schneider played more, much better numbers. Last season, Schneider played less, much better numbers (12 less games). Sure Schneider didn't play as many games, but backups don't tend to have much better numbers than starters unless the sample size is very very small.

I would say that Luongo's numbers are affected by the bad games he tends to have, but I'm not going to excuse him for his meltdowns.
What's with condescension there bucko? Just cause you're wrong doesn't mean you gotta get flippant.
Those numbers what do they really mean anyway? Just this past season I seem to recall luongo having awesome numbers early on and people murmering that schneider wasnt responding so well to the transition to starter. Then the team folded in front of luongo and he was hung out to dry for 8 goals against Detroit. AV left him in to get lit up (probably to protect Cory's psyche) luongo's GAA went south and the next game Cory went on a bit if a roll and luongo hardly saw the net again till the playoffs where he deserved that game three start...

See, I watched the games.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Not to mention the last game of the year, a meaningless game against Edmonton, where Luongo was left in net to get bombed. True we had some nameless walk on but what the heck, pull Luongo. You get see he was pissed. Oh wait, didn't he like drop his gear, take a shower, get dressed and leave the dressing room in like 12 minutes to go sit on the bus by himself? I'd say he was pretty pissed at how he was hung out to dry a few times.

And CS should never have gotten the net back against the SJS. He was coming off the groin injury and Luongo had played pretty good.

The only thing I would worry about is if Lack turns out to be the real deal and we get to do this all over again in 3-4 years. But then maybe thats a good thing. By then Luongo will have two Olympic gold medals, at least 2-3 Stanley Cups and the cap will be so high someone will want him. :mrgreen:

I am a huge Luongo supporter and feel a little relieved we still have him. Having said that I am a huge CS supporter and would have been fully prepared to move forward with him. NJD got the real deal in that guy and I wish him the best of luck except when he plays against one team. NJD just became my favourite team in the East.
The only HW the Canucks need
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

ukcanuck wrote:
FAN wrote:

What's with condescension there bucko? Just cause you're wrong doesn't mean you gotta get flippant.
Those numbers what do they really mean anyway? Just this past season I seem to recall luongo having awesome numbers early on and people murmering that schneider wasnt responding so well to the transition to starter. Then the team folded in front of luongo and he was hung out to dry for 8 goals against Detroit. AV left him in to get lit up (probably to protect Cory's psyche) luongo's GAA went south and the next game Cory went on a bit if a roll and luongo hardly saw the net again till the playoffs where he deserved that game three start...

See, I watched the games.
Lol. What the fuck are you talking about? You're one sensitive dude if you think that was condescension. I thought it's pretty easy to see why someone would think that Schneider outplayed Luongo even if you don't agree with it.

What do those numbers mean? GAA = Goals Against Average, SV% = Save Percentage, Win% = Percentage of games starts that results in a Win vs a Loss (something like that). GAA, SV%, and Wins (or Win%) are commonly used to evaluate a goaltender's effectiveness and ability. ; :lol: I'll let someone else explain more about what those numbers mean if you don't get it.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

ukcanuck wrote: Luongo has won 6 playoff series for the Canucks as starter
Cory is 1-5 in playoff starts

Luongo is also 0-6 in his last 6 playoff starts.

You're talking about Cory's first ever playoff starts. Lu's came with a shitload of experience. Not to mention with 2 opportunities to win a Cup and at a start of a couple of 0-0 series openers. Cory's starts? His first ever comes after Lu blows 2 games hideously following a 3-0 series lead, in a loud hostile Chicago building..about the most intense pressure anyone can imagine. His other 5 starts come in similarly desperate situations when the team was down 0-2 in two series, one of which he was thrust in straight off an injury.

Are we seriously going to judge his playoff performance under those circumstances??
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

It's reasonable to have a debate on who the better goalie has been/will be. There are arguments for both sides. Lou has been (and likely will continue to be) very, very good. If he can win a cup and keep it up for a few more years his career numbers might get into Brodeur territory and we might be talking HoF. CS has been very, very promising and I have every belief that NJ just locked up their starter for the next 10 years. (if they can afford him in two years ... maybe we'll get him back :lol: ).

You could argue that CS will be better going forward, but there's no way you could argue he'll be head and shoulders better. Definitely not "Bo Horvat and 27m better". (Sure CS has a lower cap hit and salary for now, but I bet you he won't in two years! :o )

I'm very happy to have Lou back. Lou is not "the problem" and never was.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Every incidence of Lou being bombed, there may have been one or two he should have had, but the bulk of the performance was poor play in front of him. Game 6 Boston, Kesler couldn't back check if his life depended upon it and was the goat on at least two (yes I know he was injured). It is the same for nearly every 7uon8o performance.

Thing is, Lou gets one or two past him because of poor play in front of him and he doesn't pull a rabbit out of his hat and stop the carnage. Instead he collapses.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.