MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Post by Topper »

tantalum wrote:And Luongo for much of that year widely broadcasted he wanted to go to Florida. For much of the year he also couldn't be traded (lockout) and the ground shifted. It has now been widely speculated/"confirmed" that up until the season began Luongo was only willing to go to Florida and would not consider other options.
I know Freidman mentioned this but I still don't place much in it. I also don't think Luongo broadcast a preference. I would certainly be open to seeing some quotes from him. He may have answered direct questions if he would play in Florida and said the obvious, but something still doesn't smell right about TO and Philli being denied.

Again, a preference for Florida based team is obvious given his domestic situation, however most of what I have read is rumour based that has been repeated so often some believe it to be true.

I mean, we now have reasonably credible hockey writers like BobbyMac and LeBrun retweeting dregs of broadcasting. Is that a contractual TSN thing to do? It better be because those two are loosing credibility every time they do so.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mondi wrote: 4. Gillis (and AV) groomed CS into an elite talent and then let him go. Those who believe he hasn't proved it haven't been watching. The guy has the best SAV% in NHL history. You cannot fake your way through 98 career starts and, in all of his playoff starts (i.e. 100% of them) he has been thrown into the lion's den.
I'm all for posting stats to support an argument, but this is the 3rd different iteration of this record you have posted in this thread.

Looking back at back-up goalies on Presidents Trophy winners (which is what CS was for 60% of his starts), every back-up has career numbers when they're on the best regular season team in hockey. Varlamov in WSH, Boucher in SJS...hell, Emery went 17-1 last season.

Is Emery going to be the beneficiary of a huge bidding war? Is he going to get a huge contract coming off a 1.94 GAA? ...No, because he was the backup on the best team in hockey this year.

Granted, Emery and Boucher are different in that they are veteran guys (but Boucher has a far more impressive record, the shutout streak). But Varlamov is a great example. He was a young guy with upside, coming off great numbers backing up a Pres Trophy team, and was flipped for a 1st and 2nd. Everyone now agrees (and most at the time) that it was a huge over-payment, but it was a trade for goalie potential based on stellar numbers in a limited sample group.

Will Schneider turn out like Varlamov? Probably not, though his panic attacks raises huge question marks.

But the fact that the question has to be asked should at least show that CS has not proven himself to be an "elite NHL goalie". When you remove that conclusory statement, trading a great young back-up for 9th overall (as opposed to trading an elite goalie like a young Roberto Luongo) looks like a great deal.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

That's reminds me, how about we get Emery to back up Lu?
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

I suggested trading Schneider instead of Lou 14 months ago. I went on and on about why I felt we should keep Lou.

Now 14 months later I wanted to see Lou traded. A lot of water under that bridge in the last 14 months.

GMMG fucked this up real good. As of last week he had four choices: (paint yourself into a corner much)

1, Buy out Lou. (Aquaman would not pony up the cash, fuck him for being cheap in cash cow market, he's a meddling owner, he sucks)
2. Have Lou and Schneider on the roster next Oct
3. Trade Schneider and hand Lou back the number one spot.
4. Wave Lou and send him to Siberia (Edmonton, face him 5 times a season)

That's it! There were no other options.

What was done Sunday needed to be done.

How the entire last 14 months played out did not need to be done. GMMG fucked the dog. See Coho... We bloated his stats to get a good return. What organization says that after trading a player? Fuckin gong show. Aquaman hires the coach? This team has become a joke under the current ownership and GM.

Things will get worse before they get better,

Strap in bitches!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ESQ wrote:That's reminds me, how about we get Emery to back up Lu?
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the Canucks now have four professional goaltenders and four professional goaltending jobs. Unless one of Luongo, Lack, Cannata or Eriksson is moved there isn’t room for another goalie.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: I don't know how you figure Cory outplayed luongo
Luongo has basically turned in 30+ win seasons every year he has been here
Cory has yet to even play 30 games in a season.
While I agree with you that Schneider and Luongo are on at least on par, even that Luongo is probably still slightly better, please check your facts.

Schneider played 30 games this season and 33 the season before.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I'm really not sure how MG screwed this up....

You simply DO NOT trade a goaltender of Lou's caliber for Ben Scrivens and a pair of draft picks (neither of them 1st rounders).

That was,apparently,the best offer he received.

Is Gillis to blame for the lockout? No.

Is Gillis to blame for the current CBA? No.

Is Gillis to blame for other GMs not wanting Lou? No.

You can't fault Gillis for the contract he signed Lou to either, it was a bargain at the time, the cap hit still is.

I'm betting the recapture rules were pushed for by Toronto (Burke/Nonis) to force GMMG's hand.

You can fault Gillis for not trading Louie after 2011, that's it, but at the time Luongo was still the guy in net and Schneider hadn't signed an extension or put up the great numbers more than a few times.

You can fault MG for not handing Vigneault his walking papers sooner, because I think AV fucked things up real good as far as the roster and room go, and that certainly contributed to the situation.

The timing of all of this Asia's a complete mess, and outside the control of anyone involved.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

You have to remember the human component here and how much it will affect luongo's play. Guaranteed his wife is livid and not willing to come back here. Makes for a toxic home situation. Luo is poss. Looking at a choice between career and family. I would not be at all surprised if he refuses to report
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

cjc wrote:You have to remember the human component here and how much it will affect luongo's play. Guaranteed his wife is livid and not willing to come back here. Makes for a toxic home situation. Luo is poss. Looking at a choice between career and family. I would not be at all surprised if he refuses to report

I really don't think any of us know what will happen to the Luongo's. I can't predict that she will not come back to Vancouver. Perhaps they run two households which is not uncommon for pro athletes in other sports. A lot of them keep their family home in different cities and it is not uncommon for wife and kids to sty there during the season. But that aside, by all accounts, his home situation is very settled and all is well in the Luongo household.

No question he wanted a clean start in the East preferable in the State of Florida. That is well documented. Thats the personal side. On the professional side it is also well documented that he wants to be the starter on a team that can contend. It is also documented that he personally loves Vancouver, loves his teammates, which is mutual, and would love to win a cup here.

Roberto is an emotional guy. This is why MG said he wouldn't talk to him until a few days had passed to allow the emotion to calm. This is why waterboy went to Florida. This is why (finally for the love of gawd) Luongo declined to speak to the media.

This is very reminiscent of his days in Florida when they took him to arbitration and he took it personally. Keenan has always said Roberto is well different, he is emotional and takes things too personally. When he was traded here he was in tears. He thought he would be a Panther for life. He and his wife were in the process of building their dream home. He was in shock then too. But he came and he conquered.

Whatever personal decisions the Luongos make they will make. On the professional side he too has options but they kinda suck, sorta like the position MG was in, in trying to trade the guy. MG in the end did what was in the best interest of this team. In the end Roberto will do what is in his best interest too. He will report. He will say all the right things while being as candid as he can. He will show up with a chip on his should against 29 GM's that in his mind didn't want him. He will be playing for the right to represent Canada at the Olympics. He will want a cup with this core. He will start slow and get the whole city in another rant fest then turn it around and everyone will claim that all along they wanted CS traded.

I really do get the personal side and the potential that has to upset the whole balance. But I believe they will find a way to work with it. Thats what professional athletes and their families do.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

2 things

1 - 90% of what has been said about Luongo and his wife is pure speculation and rumours that grow. No one knows what he or his wife is thinking and nor should we even care. Luongo is a professional and for the billions of $$$ he makes playing in the NHL I cannot see that being jeopardized because of his wife wants to live in Florida.

2 - am I a masochist to hope in 3 years we are here again talking about trading Luongo because we have CS V2.0 but only bigger/faster/better? He will only have 2 years at a high cap hit and then it comes down significantly and there is always a team who needs to hit cap floor that is closer to Florida than Vancouver.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Roberto is an emotional guy. This is why MG said he wouldn't talk to him until a few days had passed to allow the emotion to calm. This is why waterboy went to Florida. This is why (finally for the love of gawd) Luongo declined to speak to the media.
I actually burst out laughing when I read that last sentence with the parentheses. :lol:

Because it's true.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ORCA wrote:
Mondi wrote: 4. Gillis (and AV) groomed CS into an elite talent and then let him go. Those who believe he hasn't proved it haven't been watching. The guy has the best SAV% in NHL history.
4. What a completely ridiculous stat. Luongo sits 5th ALL TIME (qualifying criteria of 200 gp) with .919 SAV%. Maintained over 740+ games. He also has an oustide, but possible chance of overtaking Brodeurs ALL TIME shut out record. If Schneider retains .920 and above after another 100 games, then talk about that. Best in NHL history :lol: .... that's like taking Johan Franzen or Claude Lemieux's 1 mega playoff run and comparing them to Gretzky, Crosby, and Mario.
Nice response Orc, I would add that by the time Lou was Cory's age he had played in 341 NHL games.

"Best SAV% in NHL history" :lol:

A quick glance tells me Chad Johnson, for one, is presently ahead of Schneids in "career sv %". :mex:

Also, let's not forget Schneids was the beneficiary of sheltered starts....
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I was admittedly a big proponent of keeping Cory and trading Roberto. That being said, the panic attack(s) had me somewhat concerned.

Luongo will be fine. He’s a quirky guy, but at the end of the day he is a pro. He’ll play his 60+ games, be incredibly durable and keep on racking up the wins.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote: Luongo will be fine. He’s a quirky guy
Seriously, what goaltender isn't?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

cjc wrote:You have to remember the human component here and how much it will affect luongo's play. Guaranteed his wife is livid and not willing to come back here. Makes for a toxic home situation. Luo is poss. Looking at a choice between career and family. I would not be at all surprised if he refuses to report
+10!

Exactly! The power of the woman! A North American woman! They can make your life miserable. They can make you do things you don't want to do. Like take on a giant mortgage in a part of town outside of your class or make you fake-belive in a religion you have no business being a part of. They are monsters and this is not going to end well..

WORST GENERAL MANAGER IN HISTORY OF CANUCKS!

We will rue the day Cory was traded instead of the wimp-ass management/ownership not buying out Roberto...
Last edited by Arachnid on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)