Ballard on waivers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Ballard on waivers

Post by Southern_Canuck »

ImageImage
It's a great day for hockey!
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Gillis just said that if no one claims Ballard he will be bought out.

So obviously he's being bought out. No one would want him bad enough to claim him at his current salary rather than take a chance on signing him for less.... if they get out bid by someone... no big loss.

edit: (nice work SC :D )
2011..... the one that got away.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I am not sure I wanted him gone. No room here, but was nice to have.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

A little surprised they don't just offer him to some team that needs a top 4 defenseman.

To Other Team: Ballard + 6th round pick.

To Van: 7th round pick.

They basically get to move up a round in the draft and we don't lose Ballard for absolutely nothing or have to buy him out.

I realize that the counter argument is that Ballard won't count against the cap and we wouldn't move down in the draft just to save a few million of Aquaman's money.

Maybe just trade him for a 5th round pick. It's a salary dump after all, and surely Ballard is worth that.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Mëds wrote:A little surprised they don't just offer him to some team that needs a top 4 defenseman.

They basically get to move up a round in the draft and we don't lose Ballard for absolutely nothing or have to buy him out.

I realize that the counter argument is that Ballard won't count against the cap and we wouldn't move down in the draft just to save a few million of Aquaman's money.

Maybe just trade him for a 5th round pick. It's a salary dump after all, and surely Ballard is worth that.
Unfortunately in this cap environment nobody with any money owing seems to be worth anything. It's the opposite of 2 years ago when money was being thrown around at will - now nobody wants a contact.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:A little surprised they don't just offer him to some team that needs a top 4 defenseman.

Mëds I'm sure he has offered him for nothing to 29 other teams. No one wants his contract.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

KB4 - KB3 = one KB left in the fold.

Clearly a trade isn't there. I would not say there is no trade value, but rather, other GM's know GMMG is over a barrel.

Conditional waivers is a deal for KB4. If he gets picked up, it is a team that wants him and is willing to pay his existing salary.. If's he's bought out, he gets his buyout $'s and then needs to go job hunting.

Does he read Cyrillic?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

He didn't stand a chance here from the get go and I'm sad it didn't work out for him. He is a talented D who simply played the wrong side and could never get on AV's good side either. Good luck Keith where ever you end up.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Canuck-One wrote:He didn't stand a chance here from the get go and I'm sad it didn't work out for him. He is a talented D who simply played the wrong side and could never get on AV's good side either. Good luck Keith where ever you end up.
There are only 28 teams that Ballard can offer his service. We all know that he can't re-sign here and he will definitely not sign with the Rangers for the obvious reason.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I'd MUCH rather they kept Ballard and got rid of Booth. Make some room for Kassian and David Clarkson. 8-)
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ClamRussel wrote:I'd MUCH rather they kept Ballard and got rid of Booth. Make some room for Kassian and David Clarkson. 8-)

Ya but Booth can't be bought out because of his injury.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ClamRussel wrote:I'd MUCH rather they kept Ballard and got rid of Booth. Make some room for Kassian and David Clarkson. 8-)
At least Raymond is gone...
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:

Isn't there a 2nd date later when buyouts can occur one more time?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ClamRussel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

Isn't there a 2nd date later when buyouts can occur one more time?

Next year after the cup is awarded. Another window. But by then Booth will have only one year left and the cap will go up so presumably we won't be in cap hell. Booth could still be traded however, if there are any takers.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Ballard is suffering from the new CBA like a lot of players. With the cap going down, GMs are loathe to part with decent money for players who appear to have under performed. Ballard got a raw deal under AV, but he also didn't play great when he had opportunity - with the exception of pairing with tanev but you can't have a 4 mill #6/7.

Ballard has likely had his fill of the Canucks organization. He is likely praying for the buy out, new city with new shorter term, cheaper contract and then try to regain form in a fresh start city.

I liked Ballard, too bad about him going but the cap is king these days.