MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: MacKenzie: Corey Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Luongo was treated fine until the playoffs. He was the 2nd string goalie coming in. The original plan was to trade him but hey guess what the plan changed. Bunch of drama queens. The guy is getting paid millions of dollars- I think he will get over it. If he still wants out then ship his ass out of here or put him on waivers. He pretty much has zero value as evidenced by the lack of a trade.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

You can not blame the Canuck management for media hacks speculating and as far I've heard, Aqulung went to Florida to personally explain the teams rational and answer any questions Roberto may have.

I think the Canucks deserve a lot of respect for that.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Topper wrote:You can not blame the Canuck management for media hacks speculating and as far I've heard, Aqulung went to Florida to personally explain the teams rational and answer any questions Roberto may have.

I think the Canucks deserve a lot of respect for that.
Bingo.

People wanted a bold move, this is it.

A top 10 pick in this great draft for Cory Schneider straight up is a fair trade. Judging by the reluctance to trade a

The main piece I wanted in a Luongo trade was a young core player and getting that in a Schneider trade is more than fine by me.

Luo was the guy who brought up being moved in the first place, no one can say the Canucks didn't do everything they could to accomodate him. They were pretty much ready to give him away for one draft pick outside the 1st round but there were no takers.

We've talked about the Canucks needing to set this team up for the future and two picks in the first round of this draft goes a long way to doing that.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The way the Canucks have handled this today you know they know Luongo very well. I think they deserve some credit for doing it the way they did. NJD are well known to nix deals if they leak and this one didn't get out at all. Its too bad CS heard it by a text from Duthie, I'm sure MG would have liked to have been able to make that call a few minutes earlier.

I liked CS and am sorry to see him go but I like Luongo too and would have been just as sorry to see him go.

What I think more than anything ownership has nixed the buyouts thus we see CS traded and Edler being shopped. MG has to clear cap space and he isn't getting a pass from ownership and somehow that is the way it should be.

Luongo is tweeting now but not saying much. Just that he hates NTC and his frigging contract.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Gillis could either pay Luongo to NOT play for the Canucks (Buyout), and go with Schneider.

Or he could get an asset for Schneider and play Luongo.

In terms of quality the difference is negligable. Schneider is younger. But if the option is a top-10 pick or paying a guy to play for someone else? It's not a difficult choice.

I think Gillis coulda gotten a second asset out of New Jersey. But he's in a tough spot (had to trade one of his goalies). He got some cap relief, killed the drama, picked up what many believe will be a quality player. Hard to be pissed about this.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Hockey Widow wrote:The way the Canucks have handled this today you know they know Luongo very well. I think they deserve some credit for doing it the way they did. NJD are well known to nix deals if they leak and this one didn't get out at all. Its too bad CS heard it by a text from Duthie, I'm sure MG would have liked to have been able to make that call a few minutes earlier.

I liked CS and am sorry to see him go but I like Luongo too and would have been just as sorry to see him go.

What I think more than anything ownership has nixed the buyouts thus we see CS traded and Edler being shopped. MG has to clear cap space and he isn't getting a pass from ownership and somehow that is the way it should be.

Luongo is tweeting now but not saying much. Just that he hates NTC and his frigging contract.
I find it hard to feel sorry for luongo..legitimate sorry anyway...cuzillionsaire and all..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don't feel sorry for Luongo at all. He was more than happy with his contract and NTC when he signed it. Moving forward I only care about how well he plays for us and getting that damn cup!!
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:I don't feel sorry for Luongo at all. He was more than happy with his contract and NTC when he signed it. Moving forward I only care about how well he plays for us and getting that damn cup!!
Feel sorry for him? He handled the trade deadline like a full on drama queen, and now he has to come back with his tail between his legs. He's the one who signed a 12 year deal and he has to live up to it if the team wants him to.

The math goes like this - $27 million buyout and Schneids, or Lu and Horvat. Gillis and co made the right decision.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Bobby Mac is worried a bit about how this whole Luongo situation has unfolded, he's glad we got the picks, good for the future. But about Lu he shares some of your thoughts in yeah he should just suck it up, he gets paid millions, but he's worried about all the baggage that has built up over the past year or so, about all the fans who were running him out of town, and knowing all year that he will eventually be dealt in due time, plus what happens if he has a slow start next season and what happens if has another meltdown in the playoffs!?! :o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:I don't feel sorry for Luongo at all. He was more than happy with his contract and NTC when he signed it. Moving forward I only care about how well he plays for us and getting that damn cup!!
I think he's just venting (not the best place to do it, but oh well....) because he was emotionally and psychologically looking forward to a new start somewhere because it was a safe assumption that the Canucks were "Cory's team" and he was gone. Now that that rug got pulled out from under him, no doubt he'd be slightly torqued. He's been through the emotional/psychological/egotistical wringer this past year and a bit so I'll cut him some slack.

Question is, now that he's the #1 again in Vancouver does he want to come back? I'd like to have been a fly on the wall for his conversation with Aquaman. Where does this leave his domestic situation? Will his head be 100% in the game if his relationship with wife and kids is on the rocks and separated by a continent - if that's the case?

Here's a crazy thought: what if Gillis trades Luongo as well and gets a FA goalie (say, Bryzgalov, for the sake of example)? Admittedly riskier than investing your personal savings in gas exploration operations in the Hindu Kush, and would make one wonder why the owner went all the way to Florida to talk with Lu, but if Lu don't wanna come back whatchu gonna do?

I noticed Gillis stop by to share a couple of words with Tallon (?) before taking the stage to announce #9. I wonder what that was all about?

"Ya coulda had Lu. Hope Markstrom doesn't stink the joint. Best of luck, you canine fudge-packer."

or

"I don't need to buy him out now, but Lu's still available for the right price. Let's talk."
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

darren wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Let the Lou chants reign for another 9 years!! ANd when he hoists that cup the tears will be extra special.
Yep. If that strombone tweet was legit: "I'll stay and back up for free if they let me sit in at every Torts press conference", it sounds like Lou will get over it quickly enough. That isn't a joke made by somebody who has mentally checked out and wants to GTFO of town.
My only concern is that Lou's response was something along the lines of, I don't know yet, I need time to let this sink in. I'm going to call my agent and decide what I'm going to do.

Doesn't sound like a guy who is overly thrilled with the way this played out.

I have NO doubt that Luongo will handle it professionally and get it done on the ice.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

In regards to luongo's feelings, he made his bed. With his NMC, Gillis has to ask for permission to trade.

Luongo may have had it tough in the media for the last year, but he wanted to control his fate regarding where he played. All Lu would have had to do is say 'yes' a couple times and he would have moved long ago.

Does anyone really believe after the circus the media has splayed out, that if this Schneider deal was made yesterday, that gillis didn't ask Luongo wanted to play in jersey?? If Lu says no, gillis then says something like, "we'll hoe about our OTHER goalie then??"

Lu is a pro. He will show up for camp with zero expectations.

But leave into our media to turn it into Another controversy to sell more papers....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

His options are simple. Refuse to report/hold out for a trade. He gets suspended until a trade happens. Retire and file his retirement papers and wait and hope his rights get traded and then have a come back. Report and play lights out and help the team win a cup.

If he chooses to not report or retire the Canucks are screwed cap wise and goaltender wise but I just can't see that happening.

He really does have a choice in all of this. But I suspect he will handle it well once the emotion settles down. It is clear a buy out was not an option and perhaps he and his agent had banked on that happening.

Sort of like the Bure situation in that we will never really know all the ins and outs of what went on. No question the new CBA changed the landscape but MG does not get a do over. What should have been, could have been who knows.

All these hockey pundits drive me nuts. They helped create this situation and act like smug pieces of shit. What is so hard to understand that MG could not take a salary back? He had to clear cap. Maybe the Toronto trade a second and Scrivens and keep some cap was the best thing but I'm not sure how happy we'd be with that one either. As others have said at least we get a top 10 pick in all of this.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I'm still hoping a deal can be made tonight for Edler. I would be happy if it included a draft pick next year and parts, or if it brought back a good top 6 forward.

Hamhuis-Garrison
Ballard-Tanev
______-Bieksa

Alberts
Corrado

I'm really OK with that considering our coaching style just got a complete face lift.

I'm not saying dump Edler because he sucks, I'm saying it because he's had mental issues with consistency and is an asset that gets us a good return right now. I also think he will NOT succeed under Tortorella, and I don't want to see $5M worth of cap space end up sitting upstairs for a dozen plus games as a healthy scratch or on the bench for 43+ minutes per game.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Madcombinepilot wrote:In regards to luongo's feelings, he made his bed. With his NMC, Gillis has to ask for permission to trade.

Luongo may have had it tough in the media for the last year, but he wanted to control his fate regarding where he played. All Lu would have had to do is say 'yes' a couple times and he would have moved long ago.

Does anyone really believe after the circus the media has splayed out, that if this Schneider deal was made yesterday, that gillis didn't ask Luongo wanted to play in jersey?? If Lu says no, gillis then says something like, "we'll hoe about our OTHER goalie then??"

Lu is a pro. He will show up for camp with zero expectations.

But leave into our media to turn it into Another controversy to sell more papers....
Luongo was never asked to waive his NTC. There wasn't a deal there that MG liked, at least since the new CBA. Since then he would have given Luongo away but other teams wanted him to retain salary/cap.

What I like is how they say other GM's were stunned and that MG could have had a higher pick. Really? Who of the top 4 were going to trade their pick for CS? Maybe the Canes might have bitten at 5 but I'm sure MG explored that too. No way he goes to Alberta without a huge overpayment.

Hell we have all heard that CS was being shopped. Other GM's didn't hear that or pick up the phone? If there was a better deal out there MG takes it. Maybe they all thought MG was playing chicken and really would not trade CS who knows but if you are a GM in need of a franchise goalie and you know Vancouver has two and must move one why were you not all over it? Why is this just MG's failing? Hey Nonuts, did you offer up a good deal for CS or did you just grab Bernier with a hope and a prayer?

Really do these guys think the Avs, Tampa or Florida were going to trade the top pick? Nashville didn't need a goalie and they were thrilled to get Jones. I wouldn't be surprised if MG slighted teams that low balled him on Luongo but I don't for a second think he left a better deal on the table.