2013 Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: 2013 Draft

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Now we take Fucale to back up Lu for a few seasons...please God let this one happen...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
darren wrote:
DonCherry4PM wrote:I can't find my words. This is easily the stupidest trade by Gillis and he has made some doozies.
So what would you have done instead?
Traded to Edmonton for higher pick and player/prospect. Don't think not having in same division is worth losing that much value.
more than likely an ask, not a bid, even if you believe drags of broadcasting
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
darren wrote:
DonCherry4PM wrote:I can't find my words. This is easily the stupidest trade by Gillis and he has made some doozies.
So what would you have done instead?
Traded to Edmonton for higher pick and player/prospect. Don't think not having in same division is worth losing that much value.
How do you know that was on the table? You don't.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

the Dogsalmon wrote:Now we take Fucale to back up Lu for a few seasons...please God let this one happen...
?? Lack/Cannata/the other guy we just signed aren't enough goaltending depth for you?
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

darren wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:Now we take Fucale to back up Lu for a few seasons...please God let this one happen...
?? Lack/Cannata/the other guy we just signed aren't enough goaltending depth for you?

not even close to the same calibre of Fucale...imho...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

TOR acquires David Bolland from CHI for three draft picks. :o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:TOR acquires David Bolland from CHI for three draft picks. :o
Good, I like all the players I hate to end up on the Leaves.

It's also fitting that the ginger Schneids is a read-headed Devil.

*spits on Cory Schneider*
____
Try to focus on someday.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

darren wrote:
True, and you don't know that it wasn't. Whatever the case, I do know it was a terrible trade.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
darren wrote:
True, and you don't know that it wasn't. Whatever the case, I do know it was a terrible trade.
YOU know it was. Phew........ that's refreshing as long as you know. What exactly do you think the GM could have gotten for Schneider ? Have you seen the market for NHL goaltenders over the last five to ten years ? It hasn't been very fucking good to say the least.

Considering that Luongo seemed to have negative value throughout the NHL due to the length of his contract, it was obvious that Schneider would be the one dealt. It's too bad Mike Smith re signed in Phoenix because I would have dealt both goalies myself if we could have singed him.

This team has a thin prospect pool( not as bad as the dude and his mongoloid crew would have you believe- but it is bottom third in the NHL). They needed a high end forward prospect in the worst way. It appears as though they landed two of them today. it isn't out of the question Vancouver could have three players on the Canadian JR team . When has that happened ?

I love CS and am sorry to see him go. That said , they do still have a pretty good goalie under contract if he wants to stay so all is not lost. The move can't be all bad because the mouth breathers over at D'Arcy's site seem to be panning it and there aint a lot of smart cats over there.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
DonCherry4PM wrote:
darren wrote:
YOU know it was. Phew........ that's refreshing as long as you know. What exactly do you think the GM could have gotten for Schneider ? Have you seen the market for NHL goaltenders over the last five to ten years ? It hasn't been very fucking good to say the least.

Blob, I actually agree with all of your other points, I just don't see how your powers of deduction fail to enable you to "know" that the return of a potentially good NHL? player for a .927 SV% (regular season) starting NHL goalie who is technically and mentally sound is a little lacking in value.

- Sun Tzu
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

You want a similar trade in value, Varlamov for a 1st and a 2nd. But that trade was made after the draft in 2011 with the Avs wrongly thinking they were going to be a playoff team and it ended up being the 11th pick overall in a 2012 draft that many viewed as an average draft.

Getting the 9th overall pick in one of the deepest drafts we've seen some years for Cory straight up isn't really less of a price than what other teams have paid for other good goalies.

Also, Varlamov was a 23 year old RFA at the time. He was considered in Cory's class for a young goalie at the time, even though many of us scoffed at that notion.

As others mentioned, Cory is a 27 year old goalie with 2 years left on his deal at $4M per year and the Canucks were in a tough cap position.

The Canucks didn't get the farm for Cory as they once had likely imagined but they most certainly got value for him.

If Horvat is a hit, getting an 18-year old top prospect is pretty much exactly what you want.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

coco_canuck wrote:The Canucks didn't get the farm for Cory as they once had likely imagined but they most certainly got value for him.

If Horvat is a hit, getting an 18-year old top prospect is pretty much exactly what you want.
I would reword your last sentence into "only if Horvat is successful in developing into a top six forward, do you get fair value for Schniedier". IMO, all things being equal, a proven commodity (or at least more proven) is worth more than an unproven one. Therefore I would expect to get a little more value in return. They may not have necessarily have been able to get a lot more but it's hard for me to believe that they couldn't have at least squeezed for an additional prospect or lower pick to balance out the deal.

- Sun Tzu
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
coco_canuck wrote:The Canucks didn't get the farm for Cory as they once had likely imagined but they most certainly got value for him.

I would reword your last sentence into "only if Horvat is successful in making the top six, do you get fair value for Schniedier". IMO, all things being equal, a proven commodity (or at least more proven) is worth more than an unproven one. Therefore I would expect to get a little more value in return. They may not have necessarily have been able to get a lot more but it's hard for me to believe that they couldn't have at least squeezed for an additional prospect or lower pick to balance out the deal.
And that would do it for you? just a little bit more to make it fair I suppose.

Did you see the "18" year old
Complete package that walked up to the podium yesterday? The kid is already
As thick chested as a horse, that's no man child there but a pure thorough bred Canadian hockey player. ( sorry for the shitty analogy)

Finally ....
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

ukcanuck wrote:
DonCherry4PM wrote:

I would reword your last sentence into "only if Horvat is successful in making the top six, do you get fair value for Schniedier". IMO, all things being equal, a proven commodity (or at least more proven) is worth more than an unproven one. Therefore I would expect to get a little more value in return. They may not have necessarily have been able to get a lot more but it's hard for me to believe that they couldn't have at least squeezed for an additional prospect or lower pick to balance out the deal.
And that would do it for you? just a little bit more to make it fair I suppose.

Did you see the "18" year old
Complete package that walked up to the podium yesterday? The kid is already
As thick chested as a horse, that's no man child there but a pure thorough bred Canadian hockey player. ( sorry for the shitty analogy)

Finally ....
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on Horvat looking very promising. But, yes, an additional prospect or pick would have made me feel better - like we didn't get the short end of the stick (even if the short end still looks acceptable).

- Sun Tzu
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Quality centers are harder to get than a good goalie, hopefully horvat develops that way.