Gillis - Opportunity Knocking.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Gillis - Opportunity Knocking.

Post by Meds »

Well we've talked Gillis and Vigneault to death. MG apparently tired of that so he sent AV packing, now he's all that's left. So with that in mind, here's a thread that throws the Dude a bone.

Rumors are flying around all over the league right now, this was expected, it's par for the annual course when we close in on draft day, but this time around the salary cap is dropping, there are these wonderful compliance buyout options, and we are hearing a few reputable names suggesting they might, or outright saying they are going to, test the free agency market. In the midst of all of these names are two of our own, Alex Edler and Cory Schneider. So this means that smoke and mirrors Mike has some decisions to make and some work to do.

The situation Gillis is starting at is actually a fairly enviable one for a GM to be in at this point. It sucked last year when he had two elite goaltenders and the one wanting out had a high priced contract that nobody was biting on on draft day. Then the lockout made it impossible to even talk about making a deal, and when that was resolved teams knew they were going to have to drop contracts rather than add them. But now he's sitting here going into one of the deepest drafts in years and has a few options. For starters he has a new coach that his core players, or many of them anyhow, are readily embracing. These players came within a sniff of the Cup 2 years ago and guys like Kesler, the Sedins, Burrows, and Higgins, well they all want to get back there at any cost. These players have all said the "A" word in their interviews, A for accountability, and the general impression is that they feel there was a lack of it under Vigneault. This new coach may also have opened up a door for Gillis in regards to his goaltending dilemma. Maybe it was Vigneault who lost Luongo, and maybe being "the guy" again with a new coach is worth it for Luongo to stick around, if that's the case then Gillis is sitting here with some good assets that he can move without really hindering the compete level of the team.

Edler and Schneider are two top players that could set Gillis up nicely. Both of them would bring a good return. Edler is replaceable, Schneider is too when you consider that you already have a top 10 goaltender signed long term. Edler and Schneider would free up $9M in cap space. Moving one of Ballard or Booth would free up another $4.2M. This would mean the Canucks would be committed to $51.052M worth of cap in a $64.30M cap world. $13M to fill out the roster with.

The needs would be 2 defensemen to play in the top 6, 3 if Ballard goes instead of Booth. Tanev isn't included in this btw as he's RFA and still unsigned, but I think it's a foregone conclusion that he'll be back.

3 forwards to round out the top 12, 4 if Booth goes instead of Ballard.

A backup goaltender.

3 skaters for depth, probably a forward and 2 blueliners given the way the back end takes a pounding over an 82 game schedule.

The return on Edler and Schneider will definitely include a first round pick and a couple of prospects, who knows, maybe Edler gets a 1st too. Regardless, Gillis can actually load up for the future while still keeping this team in the contending mix next season. If he could get 2 picks in the top 15 of this draft he will have turned this team into a potential long term contender without having to go through what we saw in Edmonton and are about to see in Calgary. Not many GM's find themselves in a position to make their team much better in the future without sacrificing a helluvalot in the present. So if Gillis screws this up out of some retarded sense of loyalty to Schneider, Luongo, and/or Edler, then I'm buying a round for RD.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Gillis - Opportunity Knocking.

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Hey RoyalDude what is your drink of choice...Mëds is buying...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Sounds like Philly thinking with Carters and Richards. Trade two of your best young players for picks, prospects and a roster player or two, create cap space and set the team up for the next few years. Didn't quite work out that way. Injuries, under performance, average goaltending etc cost the Flyers big time.

I get what you are saying but it can also back fire bug time.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote:Sounds like Philly thinking with Carters and Richards. Trade two of your best young players for picks, prospects and a roster player or two, create cap space and set the team up for the next few years. Didn't quite work out that way. Injuries, under performance, average goaltending etc cost the Flyers big time.

The good thing about this from the Canucks perspective is you're not trading away half of your high end players. The Flyers were left with Giroux and Pronger, and one career ending injury later they're in a world of trouble.

IF the Canucks moved Schneider and Edler they'd have Luongo, Hamhuis, Garrison and Bieksa around to step up - at those positions alone. Nevermind the Sedins and Kesler.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Luongo will still play here, and I have heard he would, then we would have a great opportunity to bring Lack along, as we did CS. I could agree to that.

I'm not opposed to trading CS and Edler. Would Philly give up a 1st and a centre? Would Edmonton give up the same. Could both players garner a 1st and a good player/prospect? If yes then lets do it.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hockey Widow wrote:If Luongo will still play here, and I have heard he would, then we would have a great opportunity to bring Lack along, as we did CS. I could agree to that.

I'm not opposed to trading CS and Edler. Would Philly give up a 1st and a centre? Would Edmonton give up the same. Could both players garner a 1st and a good player/prospect? If yes then lets do it.
I wouldn't trade them to Edmonton even if the deal was marginally better.

The teams that intrigue me are Philly, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Columbus and Boston... (who is having cap issues and Rask is looking for a big payday)
2011..... the one that got away.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Sounds like Philly thinking with Carters and Richards. Trade two of your best young players for picks, prospects and a roster player or two, create cap space and set the team up for the next few years. Didn't quite work out that way. Injuries, under performance, average goaltending etc cost the Flyers big time.

The good thing about this from the Canucks perspective is you're not trading away half of your high end players. The Flyers were left with Giroux and Pronger, and one career ending injury later they're in a world of trouble.

IF the Canucks moved Schneider and Edler they'd have Luongo, Hamhuis, Garrison and Bieksa around to step up - at those positions alone. Nevermind the Sedins and Kesler.
Yeah, you trade your two top 6 centers away and then sign an up and down goaltender to be your starter..... :look:

The Canucks would be trading away one defenseman and a goaltender.....while keeping a starter and developing another young prospect in the crease.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Can you imagine if CS is dealt to the Panthers? I wonder how Luongo would feel about that. :mrgreen:
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hockey Widow wrote:Can you imagine if CS is dealt to the Panthers? I wonder how Luongo would feel about that. :mrgreen:
:lol:

I don't think what you were hearing about Luongo still willing to play in Vancouver would ring true anymore.
2011..... the one that got away.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: I get what you are saying but it can also back fire bug time.
Did she just call Mëds "Bug Time"?? :shock:

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: The return on Edler and Schneider will definitely include a first round pick and a couple of prospects, who knows, maybe Edler gets a 1st too. Regardless, Gillis can actually load up for the future while still keeping this team in the contending mix next season. If he could get 2 picks in the top 15 of this draft he will have turned this team into a potential long term contender without having to go through what we saw in Edmonton and are about to see in Calgary. Not many GM's find themselves in a position to make their team much better in the future without sacrificing a helluvalot in the present. .
Sorry bro, but trading two of our top players for futures would ABSOLUTELY be "sacrificing a helluvalot in the present".

Not gonna happen, nor should it...
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
Mëds wrote: The return on Edler and Schneider will definitely include a first round pick and a couple of prospects, who knows, maybe Edler gets a 1st too. Regardless, Gillis can actually load up for the future while still keeping this team in the contending mix next season. If he could get 2 picks in the top 15 of this draft he will have turned this team into a potential long term contender without having to go through what we saw in Edmonton and are about to see in Calgary. Not many GM's find themselves in a position to make their team much better in the future without sacrificing a helluvalot in the present. .
Sorry bro, but trading two of our top players for futures would ABSOLUTELY be "sacrificing a helluvalot in the present".

Not gonna happen, nor should it...
Yeah I was wondering that too
Perhaps buying a couple of FA's with savings is what bad medicine meant
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Yeah I was wondering that too
Still doesn't work...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: I get what you are saying but it can also back fire bug time.
Did she just call Mëds "Bug Time"?? :shock:

Who ya gonna call...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: Yeah I was wondering that too
Still doesn't work...
Personally I'm loathe to trade Edler anyway. I'm mean if we gotta that's one thing but I still think there's more there to be had and I think torts should get a shot to squeeze it out of him

As for Schneider I'm open to any solution to the problem