Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Don't think it's wise to add another smallish defenseman to the lineup at the expense of one of our only two big bodied defenseman.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

RoyalDude wrote:Don't think it's wise to add another smallish defenseman to the lineup at the expense of one of our only two big bodied defenseman.
Even if he has a horrible contract, right Dude?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Doc,

I have absolutely no objection to MG using the two amnesty buy outs. Why should I, it isn't my money and it has no impact on the cap moving forward. It may however have an impact on ticket prices etc going forward because the water boy, along with wanting to win, wants to make money.
Water Boy, as I said, is making money hand over fist.

If he wants to keep the sellouts happening he should reinvest some of those profits via compliance buyouts.

And he WILL.

He's no fool.

We don't know how much he is profiting "on paper" and otherwise, but it could add up to as much as $70mil/per.
Strangelove wrote:
donlever wrote: As I recall (without researching it right this minute) the net operating income for the team is reportedly 20 million plus annually.

This does not take into account other events at the stadium, enhanced land values, increase in team value et cetera.

In other words.

A big fukin shitload
I read the other day Canucks have increased in value by an average of $20mil per season since Aquaman bought them.

So what's he making altogether per year off this franchise? $60-$70mil??

Hard to say but yeah its definately a big fukin shitload.
It is SO fucking obvious that Aqualini has already authorized Gillis to use both compliance buyouts it's ridiculous.

We don't need to go by the words of Gillis The Poker Player or close-to-the-vest Aqualini.

Nor should we.

And we certainly don't need to go by what the hockey pundits say.

All we need is not-so-common sense. :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:And Edler should only be traded if MG hits a home run!
Like packaging him in a deal for Kris Letang? :mrgreen:
Only if we get to negotiate an extension with Letang first.

Garrison - Letang
Hamhuis - Bieksa
ASSHOLE - Tanev
Alberts - Corrado

Where do I sign? :drink:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/421 ... z2Wd1iXeky
____
Try to focus on someday.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Screw it. With all the big money contracts being given out (still), let's just keep Edler and wait for Bieksa's contract to go away. Worse case scenario the Canucks tread water.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Westcoast Napoleon on Edler:
I've never met him, but Alain and Mike told me about him and I've decided he needs to play better.

Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

For what it's worth:
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Another player generated a lot of phone calls towards Vancouver is d-man Alex Edler. His NTC kicks in July 1 but teams are calling...
Strangelove: Only if we get to negotiate an extension with Letang first.

Garrison - Letang
Hamhuis - Bieksa
ASSHOLE - Tanev
Alberts - Corrado

Where do I sign?
+1
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

darren wrote:For what it's worth:
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Another player generated a lot of phone calls towards Vancouver is d-man Alex Edler. His NTC kicks in July 1 but teams are calling...
LeBrun is usually on the level, and it's a not really a leap to think that teams would be calling about Edler. If Gillis is getting offers regarding him, and if the offers are good, he's a complete fool not to make some moves.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

With Letang now re-signed Edler's contract is looking better and better. There are not a lot of D men available of his caliber for a 5 million hit. Two ways of looking at it I guess. His skill + cap should make for some interesting trade offers but the ability to replace what brings is severely limited.

Canes interested in moving their #1 pick for a top 4 on D but have apparently rejected any offer for Edler?!?!?!
The only HW the Canucks need
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Hockey Widow wrote: Canes interested in moving their #1 pick for a top 4 on D but have apparently rejected any offer for Edler?!?!?!
Knee on Staal in the worlds....
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rede wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Canes interested in moving their #1 pick for a top 4 on D but have apparently rejected any offer for Edler?!?!?!

Didn't know that. Was it bad?
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Rede wrote:

Didn't know that. Was it bad?
Quite bad. Wonder if the suspension he got at the WHC will carry over into the Olympics.

Having said that, I don't see that as a compelling reason not to trade for the guy if Carolina needs a #1 Defenceman.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Caught the clip ( no pun intended). Pretty nasty and can see why they would be a little pissed at him.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

"DarrenDreger reports there's still interest in Alex Edler (Detroit? Anaheim?). His new contract & NTC kicks in July 1."

His NTC will be starting a few hours, so if MG gets a good offer, Edler could be traded before the day is over.

With 4 top Left side Dmen making over $4M, it makes sense to try to re-tool the defense a bit, as we could get much needed help up front, and acquire a vet dman after.

Edler ($5m) - Bieksa ($4.6m)
Hamhuis ($4.5m) - Tanev (rfa)
Garrison ($4.6m) - Corrado ($600K)
Ballard ($4.2m)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

"@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Montreal, Detroit and Anaheim inquired on Alex Edler. Wings made an offer. Habs may circle back. But nothing close at this point"

I imagine Danny DeKeyser or Smith would be a part of that Det offer, maybe adding Gustav Nyquist.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.