Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Post by ESQ »

nuckster wrote:Say what you want, Don Taylor is a pretty decent fellah... he's not self-righteous and toxicc in his assessment of other people like ...you know who. Just remember, ALL communication is SELF-disclosure.
I still think Taylor is the best highlights man in the biz - I find him funnier that Onrait and O'Toole anyway.

But he's not a reporter, or an analyst, and I don't think he really views himself as such.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

True. Back in the 'ol Sportspage days we always looked forward to his turn behind the desk more than Randorf, Shorthouse, or that other guy (Paul whatever?). Probably just used the word 'arguably' improperly, like man people do. No need to crucify him. That said, as a broadcaster he should use the English language properly.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

ESQ wrote:
nuckster wrote:Say what you want, Don Taylor is a pretty decent fellah... he's not self-righteous and toxicc in his assessment of other people like ...you know who. Just remember, ALL communication is SELF-disclosure.
I still think Taylor is the best highlights man in the biz - I find him funnier that Onrait and O'Toole anyway.

But he's not a reporter, or an analyst, and I don't think he really views himself as such.
If all he did was highlight packages, that would be fine, although even that has become hackneyed and stale. I haven't cracked a smile watching Taylor do a highlight pack in years.

He spends hours analyzing the Canucks on the radio, so whether he fancies himself an analyst or not it wouldn't hurt to have some clue what the fuck is going on.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If Gillis could actually trade Luongo and get a decent asset back and not have to take a bad contract back it would nothing short of a miracle. I would actually go out and buy the same Pom poms arachnid owns and throw down a Gillis cheer
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

When does the 48 hour buy out window close?
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ODB wrote:When does the 48 hour buy out window close?
It started 48 hours after the last playoff game and ends July 4th at 5:00pm (EST I assume).

http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Aaronp18 wrote:
ODB wrote:When does the 48 hour buy out window close?
It started 48 hours after the last playoff game and ends July 4th at 5:00pm (EST I assume).

http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/

The one caveat to that is that if a player needs to clear waivers you have to make sure you place him on waivers and still have time left to buy him out so take away 24 hours and say if Luongo is to be bought out he needs to be placed on waivers by July 3rd at 5PM
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Rumsfeld wrote:
ESQ wrote:

If all he did was highlight packages, that would be fine, although even that has become hackneyed and stale. I haven't cracked a smile watching Taylor do a highlight pack in years.

He spends hours analyzing the Canucks on the radio, so whether he fancies himself an analyst or not it wouldn't hurt to have some clue what the fuck is going on.
I seem to remember Taylor getting all holier than thou over the Bertuzzi thing, I thought it was pretty hypocritical and I e never quite got past that with Taylor
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

There may a delicious taste of irony offered up by the Luongo situation.

If not for Luongo's personal preferences, he could stay & Cory could bring us something good in a trade. But ... Luongo wants to go east. :scowl:

The Canucks may have to waive Luongo. In that case, it's possible that Edmonton picks him up. At first glance, this looks irrational, but the Oilers aren't noted as a bastion of rational thought. :crazy:

Be careful what you ask for Luigi.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

According to Dreger the Canucks are shopping Cory.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

That's an interesting wrinkle...
it's been beat to death here already but if dreger is credible then is it possible that those rumours that Luongo is Torts kinda guy are true?
Might be an awesome story next holy grail season "luongo makes NHL his bitch for disrespecting him and what had can do after bringing another Olympic gold...

Yeah ok there is vodka in my koolaid ...

Anyway .....Nooooooo don't be handing a goaltender of schneiders quality to Edmonton !

It's gonna come back to haunt big time
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

ukcanuck wrote: Anyway .....Nooooooo don't be handing a goaltender of schneiders quality to Edmonton !
Hope this happens, as I said all along that we should keep Lou (unless of course he really wants out, which none of us know for sure). Schneider brings a vastly better return but is not a better goalie.

Isn't there some shitty team with no goalie back east (I'm looking at you, Philly) we could trade Schneider to? Would rather not help out a divisional rival. That said, the Oilers no doubt realize their offer would have to be clearly better than all others in order to land Schneider... .so it might be pretty damn tempting. 7th pick for starters.
Last edited by darren on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

The overpayment Edm would need to make to get Schneider would be ridiculous... The Canucks obviously won't wanna play him 6 times a season for the next 10 years. Sure if Edm puts RNH and the 7th OV on the table I talk seriously (which they clearly wont) but otherwise I just use them as leverage to bid other teams higher.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

darren wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: Anyway .....Nooooooo don't be handing a goaltender of schneiders quality to Edmonton !
Hope this happens, as I said all along that we should keep Lou (unless of course he really wants out, which none of us know for sure). Schneider brings a vastly better return but is not a better goalie.

Isn't there some shitty team with no goalie back east (I'm looking at you, Philly) we could trade Schneider to? Would rather not help out a divisional rival. That said, the Oilers no doubt realize their offer would have to be clearly better than all others in order to land Schneider... .so it might be pretty damn tempting. 7th pick for starters.
+ 1
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Was thinking about the reality of this situation the other day; If i was Aqualini I would find it extremely difficult to be ok with buying out a huge contract like Lous... I mean 'good-god' that's alot of money! Economically in BC we're rather hard-pressed; the public sector is trying to extract every dollar they can due to budget shortfalls, teachers can't even get a contract, and so really, is a hockey team owner going to be in a position to fork out all those extra dollars involved with a buy-out? Maybe some, but probably not one from BC, and if it were me, considering the amounts involved , no frikin way! Bye Cory.
cc oldtimer