Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Postby Lancer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:43 am

sagebrush wrote:^^ Improving team-wide defensive discipline is good. Less lapses is good. It doesn't have to mean rolling up into a defensive shell.

New PP & break out schemes are important - other teams have us figured out. Haven't seen any talk about this from Torts, but hope this comes when his assistants are hired.

With regards to the media scavengers... Imagine how Torts would have responded to the MacLean hatchet job on Burrows, or how Torts & the HNIC crew will get along. :thumbs:

Imagine him on After Hours with Oake and (insert random HNIC personality doing the late game)... That has the potential to really bad, or give him an opportunity to show his 'other side'. I would actually stay up to watch that.

Agree that good defense does not equate to passive defense. That was one problem I had with AV the last two years: the team would go up a goal or two and then hang on with a passive defense approach with no forecheck and little challenge at the blueline. Hopefully Torts will institute a more aggressive system that will make things harder for teams to break out.

While I hope Torts and his staff are open to dialogue from the players regarding powerplay and offensive schemes, I agree that Torts needs to bring some new creative ideas to those tactics.

I look forward to finding out what 'whiny stars' are in the Western Conference according to Torts. Maybe it's time to start deflecting the negative attention to some other team besides the Canucks. IMHO, the job by Bieksa and AV in the latest playoffs were a little too little, too late. The public smear campaign in the media on the likes of Thornton, Toews, Keith, Richards, etc. should have started in February. God knows the media could paint the same unflateering colours on other teams that they've put on the Canucks lately.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:27 am

Lancer wrote:I look forward to finding out what 'whiny stars' are in the Western Conference according to Torts.

Five games a year against Jumbo and the Sharks could get interesting..
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ORCA » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:34 am

dbr wrote:
Lancer wrote:I look forward to finding out what 'whiny stars' are in the Western Conference according to Torts.

Jonathan. Toews.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
ORCA
CC Veteran

Postby herb » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:18 am

This team is still talented. I agree some capable depth needs to be added on the 3rd and 4th lines and on the 3rd defensive pairing, but these are holes that can be filled. We still have two damn good centres, a great goalie, several solid defensive pieces and many versatile wingers. Nearly this exact same group came within one win in 2011 and dominated the league for three seasons.

The talent is there. What was failing under AV was the execution. The set plays and breakout schemes had become lame and predictable. Everybody seemed to have the Canucks figured out, from how to stop the Sedins on the PP to how to disrupt our breakout. One thing that frustrated me over the past two seasons was how the AV coached team had slowed down the breakout to a methodical plod. Not to mention the passive defensive shell AV’s teams employed…AV’s Canucks were always at their best when they played aggressive and on their toes, and were the most frustrating to watch when they sat back.

If Torts can implement some new looks on the breakout, return the PP to respectability and bring in some much needed energy and work ethic, then I think the club will be in a better place to be successful.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby BurningBeard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:55 am

dbr wrote:

I'm pretty sure he's a Thornton fan, I don't think he'd say anything bad about him.

See, "heck of a player", he's obviously a favorite.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Lancer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:02 am

BurningBeard wrote:
dbr wrote:

I'm pretty sure he's a Thornton fan, I don't think he'd say anything bad about him.

See, "heck of a player", he's obviously a favorite.

...until he sees the whiny puke 5 times a season vice once or twice. It amazes me how some folks (the media are the worst) pull semen out of their asses to describe players from a different conference that they only see up close once or twice every two years. Torts no doubt saw Olympic Thornton, but other than that?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:30 pm

ORCA wrote:
dbr wrote:

Jonathan. Toews.

Toews now has two Cups. He can whine all he wants, he's earned the right.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Aaronp18 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
ORCA wrote:Jonathan. Toews.

Yeah, now he can just plug his ears with those things and he won't hear anything anyways.

:crazy:
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Rumsfeld » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Two cups and counting. The kid is still very young aand there's a couple good forward prospects coming up for the Hawks as well.

:(
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ODB » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:47 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:

I have no idea if this is accurate or bullshit but...

Some dude watched both guys win a championship. He kept track of how many times Lebron and Jonathon said the words I and we. The results...

I hate the Hawks, but Toews, how can you not respect this guy!

Though crowd surfing?? Gotta remember, he's a young dude still.

BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ORCA » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:04 pm

He's a good captain and has success, and I'd absolutely want him on my team. None of that cancels out that he is still a whiner.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
ORCA
CC Veteran

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella rum

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Strangelove wrote:And let's see he was one of the most successful NHL player agents ever.

How many millions do you think he made widdat.... Todd.

LOL @ "Gillis fears being fired"! :lol:

The guy could buy his own franchise at this point if he wanted to!

Well a team like the Islanders at least. :mrgreen:

If Gillis has the capital, he should buy his own team and make himself the GM. Cuz the Canucks are fucked because of him. Even with a new coach and with the new division alignments, the Nucks will be lucky to make the playoffs next season. Coaching is not the problem. At least the Isles have some great young players to build around, then Gillis can screw them by adding useless high priced players like booth, baltard to the roster. :lol:

Wait, but then again, buying a team and making himself GM is too ballzy/gutsy of a move and is not the MO of MG. :mrgreen:
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:48 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:If Gillis has the capital, he should buy his own team and make himself the GM. Cuz the Canucks are fucked because of him. Even with a new coach and with the new division alignments, the Nucks will be lucky to make the playoffs next season. Coaching is not the problem. At least the Isles have some great young players to build around, then Gillis can screw them by adding useless high priced players like booth, baltard to the roster. :lol:

Wait, but then again, buying a team and making himself GM is too ballzy/gutsy of a move and is not the MO of MG. :mrgreen:

If I said you seem like the love-child of Royaldude and Mr Cu Hockey, would you take it as a compliment? :drink:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Rumsfeld » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Cuz :

:lol:

Are those extra two letters that big a deal Todd?

I liked where you were going with it up until there...

:|

A teacher would never do that BTW. Even these days.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:31 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Cuz :

:lol:

Are those extra two letters that big a deal Todd?

A teacher would never do that BTW. Even these days.

I know. I wouldn't write like that in school. Only informal stuff like msg boards, facebooking, texting and computer geek stuff. :P
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat