Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove must have a massive file of everyone who's ever made a firm statement on this board. That or a totally freaky memory. Honestly, I've never seen anyone quote peoples old posts so much.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

5thhorseman on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:37 am wrote:I don't mind PJ Stock; he's alright.
Shame. :lol:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:... a woman's prerogative. :)

I did an edit and added an explanation. Don't piss me off today. I may be menopausal but I still have mood swings with these f'ing hot flashes!
The only HW the Canucks need
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Hockey Widow wrote:

I did an edit and added an explanation. Don't piss me off today. I may be menopausal but I still have mood swings with these f'ing hot flashes!
Are you my wife?....lofl
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I still have a hard time seeing Luongo being bought out. I’m up and down like a yo-yo on what I think he should be worth in this market, but I do know he’s not a useless tit like Redden, Gomez, or the 50 point $7M man Lecavalier. He’s a 70+ game starter, workhorse goaltender who will put up top 10 numbers on any team.

I do think the return in a trade will be shit because his salary is on the high end of the spectrum ($6.7M). There is likely a lack of interested parties, but there are a handful of teams with money to spend and massive holes in net. Luongo is a capable goaltender who would instantly improve several middling teams (Philly, Phoenix, Florida, Tampa Bay, NYI, Dallas). Luongo would be an absolutely massive upgrade in Pittsburgh. His cap hit is obviously favourable and he only has five years of big money left on that deal.

I am starting to get this niggling feeling though that all of these “interested teams” Gillis has been talking to may not exist. It’s hard to tell if Gillis really does have interested parties and is negotiating hard on price, or if he is trying to create a market.

At this point, I’m hopeful Gillis actually just has an insane amount of patience and negotiating stubbornness which actually pays off, as opposed to him just being royally fucked and backed into a corner.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BurningBeard wrote:
5thhorseman on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:37 am wrote:I don't mind PJ Stock; he's alright.

Yeah the first time he said that....
5thhorseman [color=#FF0000]on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:04 pm[/color] wrote: Been enjoying P.J. Stock's commentary lately.
.... he had just got back from 8 years in England, so it was sorta forgivable. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Lancer wrote:Luongo would totally do better on a different team, and every GM knows it.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:

LOL I was wondering about exactly that. :lol:

Ummmm....

You're beautiful when you're angry HW. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow [color=#FF0000]on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:43 pm[/color] wrote: By the time (Luongo) retires it will be at least 6 years from now. MG will be long gone, the twins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa , hamhuis will be gone, Lack will be our goalie and the cap will be at 80 million. (Cap Recapture?) No worries.
Hockey Widow [color=#FF0000]on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:41 pm[/color] wrote: I am now firmly on board with buying Luongo out and being out from under the cap recapture worries and be done with it. Lets move on.

I'm just done with it. I'm still not worried about any cap recapture as it applies to the Canucks. But it seems that other GM's are worried about it. This seems to be the hold up to moving him. Thats what I'm done with. All the bull shit and the mess the NHL created with this dumb dumb rule. Did they anticipate that a number of star players, franchise name players would be gone? Did they anticipate the shit storm they would create? I think not. I think they just had a few petty owners and GM's that cried a lot.

Now let me ask you this. Is Tampa not a team that benefits from revenue sharing. If so how does this sit with the other 29 owners knowing that they will have to help Tampa pay for the Vinny buy out? Si this what they anticipated? I guess BB is laughing a big one today. His last bit or revenge on a league that thinks he is a joke.

Do I sound angry? Yes, I am. I am angry that the NHL and the NHLPA could agree to this stupid rule without grandfathering in all the old contracts. But if we are levelling the playing field why didn't we grandfather it in for players on these deals that had already been traded before the new CBA came into effect, like Nash? No cap recapture for him, unless he is traded again. Why not go all out?

This was specifically aimed at Luongo, in fact it was nick named the Luongo clause when it was first bandied about. And who first brought it up? Some fuck with a hate on for Vancouver and specifically MG. No one bitched about Kipper, or Nash, or Vinny or Richards. Well, they did hold up Kovalchuk. But other than that it was Luongo who got everyone up in arms and that started out of Toronto.

So what I am sick of is the circus. That I just want over. Lets move on.
I can't disagree with you more Mrs. Hockey Widow.

You reap what you sow and the Luo contract was wrong from the beginning and tried to circumvent the CBA at the time and make Gary look bad.

I think RoyalDude would back me up on this and agree :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:

Yeah the first time he said that....
5thhorseman [color=#FF0000]on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:04 pm[/color] wrote: Been enjoying P.J. Stock's commentary lately.
.... he had just got back from 8 years in England, so it was sorta forgivable. 8-)
Well, he's not the worst, and certainly adds a dose of reality to that group of pundits. Anyways, off topic. Now go look up my thoughts on Ron MacLean ;)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Bad teeth....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Arachnid wrote:You reap what you sow and the Luo contract was wrong from the beginning and tried to circumvent the CBA at the time and make Gary look bad.
It was par for the course at the time. There are approximately 40 NHL contracts that are eligible for cap recapture. Granted Lou's deal probably has a greater potential of meeting the criteria for the penalty. It'd be interesting to take a good look at all 40 contracts and see just how "bad" each one of them is.

Example:

If Luongo retires at 40 it's a 2.5 million penalty to the Canucks (assuming he's traded).
If Ohlund retires at 38 it's a 2.6 million penalty to the Lightning (assuming he's not traded).

The penalties on Luongo's contract only start getting really silly if he retires at 41 or 42 (the last two years of his contract).
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Sounds like Vinny is looking for a 3-4 year deal to finish his career. Sure doesn't sound like he wants a one year then back to Tampa. Sounds like he is cutting ties and wants to play somewhere where he can then retire. Looking for 4-5 per year, closer to the 5 mark.

I could see Ottawa, if Alfie retires or Montreal, both doing a 3 year 4.5 deal or thereabouts.

Heck if we could get rid of Luongo, Booth and Ballard i'd do the Vinny deal, 3 years, 4.5 per. Re-sign the twins 2 more years and you have 3 centres locked up for the next three years. Too bad there are rumours out there saying Vinny has no tot he west and that he hates Torts. :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Arachnid wrote: I think RoyalDude would back me up on this and agree :D
Don't care

But what I do care about is whether you agree with your decision to finally come out of the closet and accept your own gayness with open arms without shame for the world to see?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hockey Widow wrote:Sounds like Vinny is looking for a 3-4 year deal to finish his career. Sure doesn't sound like he wants a one year then back to Tampa. Sounds like he is cutting ties and wants to play somewhere where he can then retire. Looking for 4-5 per year, closer to the 5 mark.

I could see Ottawa, if Alfie retires or Montreal, both doing a 3 year 4.5 deal or thereabouts.

Heck if we could get rid of Luongo, Booth and Ballard i'd do the Vinny deal, 3 years, 4.5 per. Re-sign the twins 2 more years and you have 3 centres locked up for the next three years. Too bad there are rumours out there saying Vinny has no tot he west and that he hates Torts. :mrgreen:
fwiw... I read today that when asked if he had a list of preferred teams he said he didn't; but quickly added the fact that he grew up a Red Wings Fans and comes from Montreal...
2011..... the one that got away.