Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:05 pm

dbr wrote:I'd rather get a handful of middling draft picks and worry about cap recapture in half a decade when the cap is at $80m than buy Luongo out.

I'm sure the Aquilinis would too.


I must admit, a buy out would be as sad as those pics Arachnid posted of himself getting off on from using breast pumps on his own manboobs
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4513
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:09 pm

dbr wrote:I'd rather get a handful of middling draft picks and worry about cap recapture in half a decade when the cap is at $80m than buy Luongo out.

I'm sure the Aquilinis would too.



MG would be thrilled to just get a second in this year's draft. I don't think he or anyone is really worried about the cap recapture. It is the team taking Luongo that is worried about how it may impact them and letting that distract them from the fact that he is still a top 10 in this league and still has 6-8 years left in him.


If MG is stubborn or if ownership do not want the buy out we will know soon enough. If July 5th arrives and Luongo is still on the team then we will see what happens over the summer. Will he try to trade Cory? Does he think with the pressure of the buyout window gone some teams will now bite? Are other GM's playing poker hoping for a buyout then lining up to offer Lou 6 million a year or 5-6 years to play for them? Does Lou already have a handshake agreement with Florida that they will sign him as a FA?

MG has said that he does not expect Lou to be on the team come training camp. He didn't say come draft day or FA opening. Does he think it's all a game of chicken right now and if so will he call everyone's bluff? Or is he in panic mode as some would have us believe trying to dump Lou for next to nothing, once again?

I know word leaked last season, probably deliberately leaked by the Canucks, that several teams had told him if Luongo was available this summer they would make a deal. Well, MG where are those teams? Was that just another bluff in this big game of chicken?
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3987
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Strangelove » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Hockey Widow on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:43 pm wrote:By the time (Luongo) retires it will be at least 6 years from now. MG will be long gone, the twins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa , hamhuis will be gone, Lack will be our goalie and the cap will be at 80 million. (Cap Recapture?) No worries.

Hockey Widow on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:41 pm wrote:I am now firmly on board with buying Luongo out and being out from under the cap recapture worries and be done with it. Lets move on.


Image
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7398
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Arachnid » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
dbr wrote:I'd rather get a handful of middling draft picks and worry about cap recapture in half a decade when the cap is at $80m than buy Luongo out.

I'm sure the Aquilinis would too.


I must admit, a buy out would be as sad as those pics Arachnid posted of himself getting off on from using breast pumps on his own manboobs


I WHOLE HEARTEDLY AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT! IT WOULD BE A SAD DAY INDEED! :D

GOT ANY TIPS BD ON HOW TO SHAVE THEM SO THE SUCTION NIPPLE STAYS ON?
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5031
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:17 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:43 pm wrote:By the time (Luongo) retires it will be at least 6 years from now. MG will be long gone, the twins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa , hamhuis will be gone, Lack will be our goalie and the cap will be at 80 million. (Cap Recapture?) No worries.

Hockey Widow on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:41 pm wrote:I am now firmly on board with buying Luongo out and being out from under the cap recapture worries and be done with it. Lets move on.


Image



I'm just done with it. I'm still not worried about any cap recapture as it applies to the Canucks. But it seems that other GM's are worried about it. This seems to be the hold up to moving him. Thats what I'm done with. All the bull shit and the mess the NHL created with this dumb dumb rule. Did they anticipate that a number of star players, franchise name players would be gone? Did they anticipate the shit storm they would create? I think not. I think they just had a few petty owners and GM's that cried a lot.

Now let me ask you this. Is Tampa not a team that benefits from revenue sharing. If so how does this sit with the other 29 owners knowing that they will have to help Tampa pay for the Vinny buy out? Si this what they anticipated? I guess BB is laughing a big one today. His last bit or revenge on a league that thinks he is a joke.

Do I sound angry? Yes, I am. I am angry that the NHL and the NHLPA could agree to this stupid rule without grandfathering in all the old contracts. But if we are levelling the playing field why didn't we grandfather it in for players on these deals that had already been traded before the new CBA came into effect, like Nash? No cap recapture for him, unless he is traded again. Why not go all out?

This was specifically aimed at Luongo, in fact it was nick named the Luongo clause when it was first bandied about. And who first brought it up? Some fuck with a hate on for Vancouver and specifically MG. No one bitched about Kipper, or Nash, or Vinny or Richards. Well, they did hold up Kovalchuk. But other than that it was Luongo who got everyone up in arms and that started out of Toronto.

So what I am sick of is the circus. That I just want over. Lets move on.
Last edited by Hockey Widow on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3987
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Strangelove » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:21 pm

... a woman's prerogative. :)
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7398
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby 5thhorseman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Strangelove must have a massive file of everyone who's ever made a firm statement on this board. That or a totally freaky memory. Honestly, I've never seen anyone quote peoples old posts so much.
5thhorseman
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby BurningBeard » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:30 pm

5thhorseman on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:37 am wrote:I don't mind PJ Stock; he's alright.

Shame. :lol:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
User avatar
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:32 pm

Strangelove wrote:... a woman's prerogative. :)



I did an edit and added an explanation. Don't piss me off today. I may be menopausal but I still have mood swings with these f'ing hot flashes!
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3987
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby rats19 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:... a woman's prerogative. :)



I did an edit and added an explanation. Don't piss me off today. I may be menopausal but I still have mood swings with these f'ing hot flashes!

Are you my wife?....lofl
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4728
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby herb » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:38 pm

I still have a hard time seeing Luongo being bought out. I’m up and down like a yo-yo on what I think he should be worth in this market, but I do know he’s not a useless tit like Redden, Gomez, or the 50 point $7M man Lecavalier. He’s a 70+ game starter, workhorse goaltender who will put up top 10 numbers on any team.

I do think the return in a trade will be shit because his salary is on the high end of the spectrum ($6.7M). There is likely a lack of interested parties, but there are a handful of teams with money to spend and massive holes in net. Luongo is a capable goaltender who would instantly improve several middling teams (Philly, Phoenix, Florida, Tampa Bay, NYI, Dallas). Luongo would be an absolutely massive upgrade in Pittsburgh. His cap hit is obviously favourable and he only has five years of big money left on that deal.

I am starting to get this niggling feeling though that all of these “interested teams” Gillis has been talking to may not exist. It’s hard to tell if Gillis really does have interested parties and is negotiating hard on price, or if he is trying to create a market.

At this point, I’m hopeful Gillis actually just has an insane amount of patience and negotiating stubbornness which actually pays off, as opposed to him just being royally fucked and backed into a corner.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Strangelove » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:41 pm

BurningBeard wrote:
5thhorseman on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:37 am wrote:I don't mind PJ Stock; he's alright.

Shame. :lol:


Yeah the first time he said that....

5thhorseman on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:04 pm wrote:Been enjoying P.J. Stock's commentary lately.


.... he had just got back from 8 years in England, so it was sorta forgivable. 8-)
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7398
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Lancer wrote:Luongo would totally do better on a different team, and every GM knows it.


Image
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Strangelove » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:... a woman's prerogative. :)



I did an edit and added an explanation. Don't piss me off today. I may be menopausal but I still have mood swings with these f'ing hot flashes!


LOL I was wondering about exactly that. :lol:

Ummmm....

You're beautiful when you're angry HW. :drink:
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7398
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Arachnid » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:43 pm wrote:By the time (Luongo) retires it will be at least 6 years from now. MG will be long gone, the twins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa , hamhuis will be gone, Lack will be our goalie and the cap will be at 80 million. (Cap Recapture?) No worries.

Hockey Widow on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:41 pm wrote:I am now firmly on board with buying Luongo out and being out from under the cap recapture worries and be done with it. Lets move on.


Image



I'm just done with it. I'm still not worried about any cap recapture as it applies to the Canucks. But it seems that other GM's are worried about it. This seems to be the hold up to moving him. Thats what I'm done with. All the bull shit and the mess the NHL created with this dumb dumb rule. Did they anticipate that a number of star players, franchise name players would be gone? Did they anticipate the shit storm they would create? I think not. I think they just had a few petty owners and GM's that cried a lot.

Now let me ask you this. Is Tampa not a team that benefits from revenue sharing. If so how does this sit with the other 29 owners knowing that they will have to help Tampa pay for the Vinny buy out? Si this what they anticipated? I guess BB is laughing a big one today. His last bit or revenge on a league that thinks he is a joke.

Do I sound angry? Yes, I am. I am angry that the NHL and the NHLPA could agree to this stupid rule without grandfathering in all the old contracts. But if we are levelling the playing field why didn't we grandfather it in for players on these deals that had already been traded before the new CBA came into effect, like Nash? No cap recapture for him, unless he is traded again. Why not go all out?

This was specifically aimed at Luongo, in fact it was nick named the Luongo clause when it was first bandied about. And who first brought it up? Some fuck with a hate on for Vancouver and specifically MG. No one bitched about Kipper, or Nash, or Vinny or Richards. Well, they did hold up Kovalchuk. But other than that it was Luongo who got everyone up in arms and that started out of Toronto.

So what I am sick of is the circus. That I just want over. Lets move on.


I can't disagree with you more Mrs. Hockey Widow.

You reap what you sow and the Luo contract was wrong from the beginning and tried to circumvent the CBA at the time and make Gary look bad.

I think RoyalDude would back me up on this and agree :D
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5031
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cornuck, Google [Bot] and 5 guests