Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby rats19 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:33 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Topper wrote:Why on fucking earth would you trade the 3rd overall for a cheaper Vinnie?

Don't forget they'd no longer be obliged to paying Lecav that $55mil over the next 7 years

... and/or no Recapture penalty.

Pay Vinnie $1mil per?

Savings = #30mil + $50mil = $80mil.

Then there's the extra cap-room option

... giving them the opportunity to sign some stars and make a Cup run = mo money. :mex:

Okay, that was a test (extremely crappy math).

I am SO pissed that no one called me on it.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??!! :evil:

You people really DO believe everything you read don't you. :cry:

I believe so....
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby sagebrush » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:55 pm

^^ On the other hand...
when your in a hole, stop digging. :wink:
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Meds » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:33 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Vader wrote:
$lacker wrote:Would the Canucks buying out RL with a wink wink, nudge nudge agreement with Philly that he would sign there and then Philly sending the Canucks their 1st rd pick for say, Schroeder, be considered cap circumnavigation?

As long as the NHL couldn't connect the dots it wouldn't be circumvention

It might be pretty hard. Daly warns teams to play by the book with buyouts, trades...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426385

I don't think that would be cal circumvention at all. Remember, players used to be traded for picks, parts, players, and cash. I don't think there is any rule that says you cannot outright sell your players or picks, is there?

Trading a player to be bought out and then re-signing him while having guarantees in place because you offered a major incentive, that's circumvention. Buying a guy out an having a guarantee from him that he will sign a certain place and then trading a former late first round pick for an early-mid first round pick is just a trade. If Luongo was willing to sign in Philly that's up to Luongo. It's not like either team would be dumping cap and keeping the player....
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Vader » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:08 am

Meds wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
I don't think that would be cal circumvention at all. Remember, players used to be traded for picks, parts, players, and cash. I don't think there is any rule that says you cannot outright sell your players or picks, is there?

:bang:

Meds..that was taken out of the CBA way back when they introduced the salary cap. Try to keep up
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Lancer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:16 am

Vinny bought out.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426423

Doubt that they'd use the space to take on another big, long contract, but peace of mind in net doesn't come cheap.

...and so it begins. :)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:59 am

Lancer wrote:Doubt that they'd use the space to take on another big, long contract

Ya think
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Mondi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:09 am

The idea that Luongo is "piece of mind" in goal is flawed.

He's 34. He's coming off his worst statistical season since his rookie year. He's got a boat anchor contract. He's legendary for getting lit up in big games.

On the flip side he's the second most winning active goaltender, and he'd likely benefit from a clean slate.

Piece of mind, I think not.

This guy is prime for a compliance buyout, and a fresh start (at a reasonable price).
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:20 am

Mondi wrote:The idea that Luongo is "piece of mind" in goal is flawed.

He's 34. He's coming off his worst statistical season since his rookie year. He's got a boat anchor contract. He's legendary for getting lit up in big games.

On the flip side he's the second most winning active goaltender, and he'd likely benefit from a clean slate.

This guy is prime for a compliance buyout, and a fresh start (at a reasonable price).

Gillis is a real visionary. He planned this real well. What did he say "we know what he is worth, we won't give him away...blah, blah, blah
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Lancer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:26 am

No doubt banging my head against a (rather thick) brick wall with you and dude, but the contract issue is nowhere near as onerous as Cheezeburglar's bum-boy Dreger and his circle-jerk crew make it out to be. But whatever, keep drinking that Toronto-brewed koolaid there, kiddies.

As for 'peace of mind' try convincing Tallon, Holmgren, MacTavish, Sakic, etc., etc., etc. that they have more peace of mind with the goalies on their current roster than what Luongo would bring. Luongo played for a team that went through the motions most nights (and still managed to win the division) this past season while still dealing (admirably, most have said) with his personal and professional situations. He backstopped his team as far as they could go and the fact they didn't win the Cup is as much on his teammates as it was on him.

Luongo would totally do better on a different team, and every GM knows it. If GMs are waiting for Luongo to be bought out and try and nab him via FA, they take a risk knowing that they will be competing with a number of other clubs for his services - with an ever-shrinking market of decent netminders. Who wants to risk going into next season with the likes of Nabokov after having lost out on bidding for a bought-out Luongo, when they can make a reasonable trade and get him at a very reasonable cap hit? If Luongo gets traded, it's a matter of him playing for a team he can live with. As a UFA, he will choose where he wants to play most. If you're Philly or Long Island, you know if he goes as a UFA, you will be climbing a cliff if he wants to play in Florida. Why not then trade for him while he's under contract, knowing that he would likely waive to play for you - even if it's not his first choice? It comes down to how much of a chance GMs are willing to take on premier goaltending, and depending on the trade price, Luongo in trade would be a low-risk bet compared to trying to nab him in free-agency.

But you and the rest of the Gillis-hating mob just keep drinking the Dreger's milky-white ass-juice/koolaid. :drink:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Mondi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:41 am

Lancer wrote:

No doubt banging my head against a (rather thick) brick wall with you and dude, but the contract issue is nowhere near as onerous as Cheezeburglar's bum-boy Dreger and his circle-jerk crew make it out to be. But whatever, keep drinking that Toronto-brewed koolaid there, kiddies.

As for 'peace of mind' try convincing Tallon, Holmgren, MacTavish, Sakic, etc., etc., etc. that they have more peace of mind with the goalies on their current roster than what Luongo would bring. Luongo played for a team that went through the motions most nights (and still managed to win the division) this past season while still dealing (admirably, most have said) with his personal and professional situations. He backstopped his team as far as they could go and the fact they didn't win the Cup is as much on his teammates as it was on him.

Luongo would totally do better on a different team, and every GM knows it. If GMs are waiting for Luongo to be bought out and try and nab him via FA, they take a risk knowing that they will be competing with a number of other clubs for his services - with an ever-shrinking market of decent netminders. Who wants to risk going into next season with the likes of Nabokov after having lost out on bidding for a bought-out Luongo, when they can make a reasonable trade and get him at a very reasonable cap hit? If Luongo gets traded, it's a matter of him playing for a team he can live with. As a UFA, he will choose where he wants to play most. If you're Philly or Long Island, you know if he goes as a UFA, you will be climbing a cliff if he wants to play in Florida. Why not then trade for him while he's under contract, knowing that he would likely waive to play for you - even if it's not his first choice? It comes down to how much of a chance GMs are willing to take on premier goaltending, and depending on the trade price, Luongo in trade would be a low-risk bet compared to trying to nab him in free-agency.

But you and the rest of the Gillis-hating mob just keep drinking the Dreger's milky-white ass-juice/koolaid. :drink:

Haha, this is comedy. Seriously, lets see what happens.

Cap re-capture. Contract until he's 42. NMC. History of meltdowns. Worst season in a decade...etc...etc...etc.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:41 am

Lancer wrote:

Lol

Good stuff lance

With regards to Lou I hope you're right

We will find out soon enough. If its a buyout, you're Boi and Blobs is gonna get a big black mark on his cred
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Groovypippin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:02 am

I don't have a working crystal ball, so I can no better predict the future than anyone else here. It is, however, my recently arrived at opinion that Lu's contract is CURRENTLY untradeable without taking back a very sizable chunk of his salary and cap.

And judging the cap recapture provisions of the new CBA, looking at how little would be saved cap-wise by retaining significant salary, and the future cap and financial penalty upon Lu's retirement, I can't help but think a buyout is actually best the for the Canucks as well.

Unfortunately, I firmly believe that the Aqualini's won't green light a buyout. A) because they are greedy, tight-fisted owners and B) they are prideful, arrogant and unwilling to own up to the mistake THEY made driving the bus on the Loungo contract.

So, believe it or not, I think we get to the end of the summer with Lu still on the roster as crazy as that sounds.

I would be delighted to be proven wrong and hope I am.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Postby rats19 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:08 am

Maybe Vancouver is not such a bad place to play. Maybe Mrs Lou see the writing on the wall and just gets onboard..schneids is good trade fodder...no?
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 am

rats19 wrote:. Maybe Mrs Lou see the writing on the wall and just gets onboard..schneids is good trade fodder...no?

I think Rummy, Blobby and Doc might have a different opinion
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:27 am

Groovypippin wrote:I don't have a working crystal ball, so I can no better predict the future than anyone else here. It is, however, my recently arrived at opinion that Lu's contract is CURRENTLY untradeable without taking back a very sizable chunk of his salary and cap.

And judging the cap recapture provisions of the new CBA, looking at how little would be saved cap-wise by retaining significant salary, and the future cap and financial penalty upon Lu's retirement, I can't help but think a buyout is actually best the for the Canucks as well.

Unfortunately, I firmly believe that the Aqualini's won't green light a buyout. A) because they are greedy, tight-fisted owners and B) they are prideful, arrogant and unwilling to own up to the mistake THEY made driving the bus on the Loungo contract.

So, believe it or not, I think we get to the end of the summer with Lu still on the roster as crazy as that sounds.

I would be delighted to be proven wrong and hope I am.

Unfortunately, the cap would not allow that to happen.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat