Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by SKYO »

Luongo to Philly dreams coming true. :D
the Flyers will pay Bryzgalov approximately $1.643 million per year for the next 14 yrs to not play for them
:o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote:Luongo to Philly dreams coming true. :D
the Flyers will pay Bryzgalov approximately $1.643 million per year for the next 14 yrs to not play for them
:o
No kidding. The demand for a TRUE #1 goalie goes up and the supply stays the same. Economic 101, the asking price just goes up. :P :lol:

EDIT:
Calgary Flames veteran goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff has reportedly decided to retire.

According a report from Finnish news agency STT-Lehtikuva tweeted Tuesday by Vancouver-based NHL hockey writer Juha Hiitela, the 36-year-old has told the Finnish national team he's done with his NHL playing career.

"Kiprusoff has told to Finnish national team that he is retiring," read the tweet. "If Calgary has not announced it, you guys can do that. #Flames #Kipper"
The supply could go down as well. The asking price could even go further up! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Rumsfeld wrote:We've heard these rumors before about Russkie teams offering 10 mill a year to guys... has it ever happened?
Yes. Jaromir Jagr left the Rangers in 2008 to play for Avangard Omsk in the KHL.
He played there for three years before returning to the NHL.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Per wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:We've heard these rumors before about Russkie teams offering 10 mill a year to guys... has it ever happened?
Yes. Jaromir Jagr left the Rangers in 2008 to play for Avangard Omsk in the KHL.
He played there for three years before returning to the NHL.
As any fan who actually follows the NHL (ahem) is aware, Jagr went to the KHL.

I was not aware, however, that he was paid 10 mill a season. Thanks for clearing that up, grow-a-Per. :sly:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

The reason I'm skeptical about Bob heading to the KHL is that we heard similar 8-10 mill contracts were on the table for Malkin and Kovalchuk, and neither of them bolted (kinda funny the idea of someone defecting TO Russia). Radulov is the only young, truly high-end player that comes to mind who chose the KHL over the NHL... and he was already there IIRC.

Jagr is a terrible example because he was in his late 30s and the KHL was a paid retirement of sorts... a lot less abuse on his tired old well-mulleted body. Nobody expected him to return to the NHL at 40, probably least of all Jags.

Bobrovsy is young and at the pinnacle of his position in the best league in the world. This would be unprecedented as far as I am aware.

That said, it IS Columbus... he very well might head for the hills.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Lightening and Leaf trade nixed by the league for Cap Circumvention. Lightening were to send LeCavalier and a prospect to the leaves. leaves would buyout LeCavalier and then the Lightening sign the new UFA for much cheaper. NHL closed the loophole.

Note that I believe this would not rule out trading for a guy to buy him out it was the added aspect of the Lightening re-singing the player they traded to get bought out.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/To ... 29896.html

Also, isn't it intersting that when the Bruins lose that major injuries to key players all of a sudden matter....
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

tantalum wrote:
Also, isn't it intersting that when the Bruins lose that major injuries to key players all of a sudden matter....

On Monday night Julien in his presser went on for a bit about injuries. He was asked if he thought Chicago had exposed Chara and had their game plan for him worked to which eh responded Chara was one of those key players suffering a serious injury. He bemoaned that he lost Bergeron, Horton, Marchand , etc. He said his bench kept getting shorter and it was tough.

So ya, it is funny how when they beat us our injuries were not a factor but the reason they lost to Chicago was there injuries.

Funny thing was he never mentioned the serious injuries the hawks were playing through.

I said it at the time, I've said a thousand times since, if we did not have the injury problems we had in the finals we would have beat Boston; or if they had comparable injuries to what we had they would not have won. I also think if Boston had been healthy against Chicago they would have won that series, so he is right I think, just as right as I am.

Every coach that has won has said the same thing, you need to be lucky in the injury front. LA last season was a perfect example, few serious injuries. New strategy for MG, hire Tonya Harding every April and let her lose in the opposing team dressing room.
The only HW the Canucks need
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Hockey Widow wrote: I said it at the time, I've said a thousand times since, if we did not have the injury problems we had in the finals we would have beat Boston; or if they had comparable injuries to what we had they would not have won.
If Hamhuis + Kesler remained healthy, & one of Manny or Rome play through the series, we probably win it.

The fickle finger of fate doled out injuries disproportionate to what our whiners deserved. Injuries tend to be random, & are reason to minimize reliance on a key player in each skating position - like right side D (Bieksa) with the current team .

PS - Oops, don't want to piss off the (Eastern) hockey gods with more whining.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Wow http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426423

Maybe buying Luo out is the way to go...if ol' JT can convince Vinnie to sign here 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It's all pointing to a buyout. First Lou will get waived then After all the GMs have snubbed there nose to that contract. Gillis gets out the papers and Aqua gets out the pen with an angry eye casted upon Gillis that says "you're on borrowed time now my friend"

It's obvious now that contracts like Lou's and Vinnys and Bryzs just ain't no good for the payroll
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

RoyalDude wrote:It's all pointing to a buyout. First Lou will get waived then After all the GMs have snubbed there nose to that contract. Gillis gets out the papers and Aqua gets out the pen with an angry eye casted upon Gillis that says "you're on borrowed time now my friend"

It's obvious now that contracts like Lou's and Vinnys and Bryzs just ain't no good for the payroll

yup...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:It's all pointing to a buyout. First Lou will get waived then After all the GMs have snubbed there nose to that contract. Gillis gets out the papers and Aqua gets out the pen with an angry eye casted upon Gillis that says "you're on borrowed time now my friend"

"My friend !?"
That the nicest thing you've ever said about ol luggage eyes...

On the surface yeah it's not looking good for a trade, but bryzglalov is a sieve and vinnies best days are behind him 04 being nearly a decade ago. Whilst luongo is in his prime and that position is longer lived..,
I still believe that his contract is a negotiating ploy to get his trade value down.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Bryz had a cap hit similar to Lou's but performed like Reimer.

Vinnie had a hit of $7.7mil

Two very different stories Dude
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:Bryz had a cap hit similar to Lou's but performed like Reimer.

Vinnie had a hit of $7.7mil

Two very different stories Dude
Our biggest strength was apparently our goaltending and they shit the bed for us two playoffs in a row. Exactly what is so good about luongo to wanna make another GM take ownership of a massive contract on a 34 year old goalie who really isn't all that

But again I hope I'm wrong and you are right Topper
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Doesn't really do anything for the Canucks, but it'd be pretty hilarious to see Vinny sign with the Panthers and then have them run roughshod over the Lightning next year..