Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Strangelove » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:But would Luongo waive to play there?

Doesn't matter, shortage of number ones drives up value. :thumbs:

Strangelove: The Peoples Poster
Strangelove
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Lancer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:04 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:i dunno Rummy, they're bribing him with the Olympics (not to mention $10MILLION).

Plus, didn't his girlfriend/wife have some visa problems?

I distinctly remember him being homesick for the Motherland his first few years in America.

Besides, the alternative is Columbus. :drink:

I say he's gonzo alonzo....

The promise of being the starter in the Olympics will be a huge draw and no way he get 10 million out of Columbus. He never struck me as a guy who really adapted to North America. Hope he bolts. But would Luongo waive to play there?

Bobrovsky bolting to the KHL looks quite likely IMHO, especially if they're dangling the starting goaltender job for the Olympics. You can't turn down $10 mill a year.

It would also have a couple of huge side-effects. First, it would be a kick to the junk to the Columbus organization. What does it say to everybody - not just fans - when every star they've ever had wants out of Dodge? I can imagine it being even harder to get free agents to come if they don't overpay - even harder than the Isles. If the GM doesn't sign Bobrovsky and he hits the KHL, he may as well hand in his resignation letter. That's a franchise that has the curse of Cain if ever there was one. Can't say as I'd shed a tear though.

Second, I think it would put another scare into clubs about Russian prospects. Who wants to potentially waste a 1st round pick on somebody who may well jump to the KHL if contract negotiations sour, the KHL dangles bucks, or if the mood struck him that day.

Even if Columbus loses Bobrovsky, I don't see Lou landing there. What I do see is them snapping up some other goalie - which further reduces the supply of good goalies out there - which does nothing but enhance Lou's value. Having said that, I wager (hope) that he's already gone come July.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:59 am

@jhiitela: Kiprusoff has told to Finnish national team that he is retiring. "If Calgary has not announced it, you guys can do that." #Flames #Kipper

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 2m #BlueJackets asking 4 permission speak to #Flames Kiprusoff in hopes of talking him out of retire'mt. Doesn't app' he will change his mind

So does Columbus know Brobbi is going or are they just trying to go fishing to play poker with the guy?
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby $lacker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:04 am

Daniel Friedman ‏@DFriedmanWFAN 42s
Flyers announce they will buy out Ilya Bryzgalov. All I can say is, "I told you so."

Another goalie "on the market", another team looking.
$lacker
CC Veteran

Postby SKYO » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:21 am

Luongo to Philly dreams coming true. :D

the Flyers will pay Bryzgalov approximately $1.643 million per year for the next 14 yrs to not play for them
:o
SKYO
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:25 am

SKYO wrote:Luongo to Philly dreams coming true. :D

the Flyers will pay Bryzgalov approximately $1.643 million per year for the next 14 yrs to not play for them
:o

No kidding. The demand for a TRUE #1 goalie goes up and the supply stays the same. Economic 101, the asking price just goes up. :P :lol:

EDIT:

Calgary Flames veteran goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff has reportedly decided to retire.

According a report from Finnish news agency STT-Lehtikuva tweeted Tuesday by Vancouver-based NHL hockey writer Juha Hiitela, the 36-year-old has told the Finnish national team he's done with his NHL playing career.

"Kiprusoff has told to Finnish national team that he is retiring," read the tweet. "If Calgary has not announced it, you guys can do that. #Flames #Kipper"

The supply could go down as well. The asking price could even go further up! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Per » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:10 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:We've heard these rumors before about Russkie teams offering 10 mill a year to guys... has it ever happened?

Yes. Jaromir Jagr left the Rangers in 2008 to play for Avangard Omsk in the KHL.
He played there for three years before returning to the NHL.
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Rumsfeld » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:13 pm

Per wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:We've heard these rumors before about Russkie teams offering 10 mill a year to guys... has it ever happened?

Yes. Jaromir Jagr left the Rangers in 2008 to play for Avangard Omsk in the KHL.
He played there for three years before returning to the NHL.

As any fan who actually follows the NHL (ahem) is aware, Jagr went to the KHL.

I was not aware, however, that he was paid 10 mill a season. Thanks for clearing that up, grow-a-Per. :sly:
Registered mammyrammer
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Rumsfeld » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:38 pm

The reason I'm skeptical about Bob heading to the KHL is that we heard similar 8-10 mill contracts were on the table for Malkin and Kovalchuk, and neither of them bolted (kinda funny the idea of someone defecting TO Russia). Radulov is the only young, truly high-end player that comes to mind who chose the KHL over the NHL... and he was already there IIRC.

Jagr is a terrible example because he was in his late 30s and the KHL was a paid retirement of sorts... a lot less abuse on his tired old well-mulleted body. Nobody expected him to return to the NHL at 40, probably least of all Jags.

Bobrovsy is young and at the pinnacle of his position in the best league in the world. This would be unprecedented as far as I am aware.

That said, it IS Columbus... he very well might head for the hills.
Registered mammyrammer
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby tantalum » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:02 pm

Lightening and Leaf trade nixed by the league for Cap Circumvention. Lightening were to send LeCavalier and a prospect to the Leafs. Leafs would buyout LeCavalier and then the Lightening sign the new UFA for much cheaper. NHL closed the loophole.

Note that I believe this would not rule out trading for a guy to buy him out it was the added aspect of the Lightening re-singing the player they traded to get bought out.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2013/06/26/20929896.html

Also, isn't it intersting that when the Bruins lose that major injuries to key players all of a sudden matter....
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:14 pm

tantalum wrote:
Also, isn't it intersting that when the Bruins lose that major injuries to key players all of a sudden matter....

On Monday night Julien in his presser went on for a bit about injuries. He was asked if he thought Chicago had exposed Chara and had their game plan for him worked to which eh responded Chara was one of those key players suffering a serious injury. He bemoaned that he lost Bergeron, Horton, Marchand , etc. He said his bench kept getting shorter and it was tough.

So ya, it is funny how when they beat us our injuries were not a factor but the reason they lost to Chicago was there injuries.

Funny thing was he never mentioned the serious injuries the hawks were playing through.

I said it at the time, I've said a thousand times since, if we did not have the injury problems we had in the finals we would have beat Boston; or if they had comparable injuries to what we had they would not have won. I also think if Boston had been healthy against Chicago they would have won that series, so he is right I think, just as right as I am.

Every coach that has won has said the same thing, you need to be lucky in the injury front. LA last season was a perfect example, few serious injuries. New strategy for MG, hire Tonya Harding every April and let her lose in the opposing team dressing room.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby sagebrush » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Hockey Widow wrote: I said it at the time, I've said a thousand times since, if we did not have the injury problems we had in the finals we would have beat Boston; or if they had comparable injuries to what we had they would not have won.
If Hamhuis + Kesler remained healthy, & one of Manny or Rome play through the series, we probably win it.

The fickle finger of fate doled out injuries disproportionate to what our whiners deserved. Injuries tend to be random, & are reason to minimize reliance on a key player in each skating position - like right side D (Bieksa) with the current team .

PS - Oops, don't want to piss off the (Eastern) hockey gods with more whining.
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Arachnid » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:55 am

Wow http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426423

Maybe buying Luo out is the way to go...if ol' JT can convince Vinnie to sign here 8-)
4 out of 5 Psychologists agree that a man without a woman is a psycho
Arachnid
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:40 am

It's all pointing to a buyout. First Lou will get waived then After all the GMs have snubbed there nose to that contract. Gillis gets out the papers and Aqua gets out the pen with an angry eye casted upon Gillis that says "you're on borrowed time now my friend"

It's obvious now that contracts like Lou's and Vinnys and Bryzs just ain't no good for the payroll
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby the Dogsalmon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:01 am

RoyalDude wrote:It's all pointing to a buyout. First Lou will get waived then After all the GMs have snubbed there nose to that contract. Gillis gets out the papers and Aqua gets out the pen with an angry eye casted upon Gillis that says "you're on borrowed time now my friend"

It's obvious now that contracts like Lou's and Vinnys and Bryzs just ain't no good for the payroll

yup...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat