Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, so buy me out baby...

Postby Cornuck » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:33 am

Canadiens to buy out Kaberle

It appears Tomas Kaberle won't be back with the Montreal Canadiens next season.

According to multiple reports, the 35-year-old defenseman was informed by the organization Sunday that the club will buy out the remaining year on his contract, which has a salary cap hit of $4.25 million.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Meds » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Cornuck wrote:Canadiens to buy out Kaberle

It appears Tomas Kaberle won't be back with the Montreal Canadiens next season.

According to multiple reports, the 35-year-old defenseman was informed by the organization Sunday that the club will buy out the remaining year on his contract, which has a salary cap hit of $4.25 million.

He'll find work somewhere, but I sure as shit don't want him here.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby ukcanuck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:20 am

Add bryzglalov to the newly FA pool...

Having to choke down that salary it's kinda hard to see phillies owners taking a chance on 7uongimeanluongo...

But hey a player a pick or prospect and another with a shite salary to bury might fly..eh?
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:31 am

ukcanuck wrote:Add bryzglalov to the newly FA pool...

Having to choke down that salary it's kinda hard to see phillies owners taking a chance on 7uongimeanluongo...

But hey a player a pick or prospect and another with a shite salary to bury might fly..eh?

It is hard to say... Those Flyers are crazy. If they want someone, they will throw offer sheets, big contracts and terms at the players even the chance of getting them is zero... If they really like Luongo, I don't think the contract would be a problem for them.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:47 am

Yeah I can't imagine the Flyers having an issue with Luongo's contract. Obviously they've got money to burn.

Despite Paul Holmgren's shithouse-crazy antics over the years the Flyers are a pretty conservative organization and really don't seem to like players who rock the boat or make headlines (as we saw with the Carter/Richards trades after 'dry island' and as we're now seeing with the Cosmonaut). Luongo is a great fit from that perspective, a highly professional athlete who is used to high pressure situations and dealing with the media - not without his hiccups, but a much better track record than Bryz for sure.

I don't know if there's any scenario in which we actually get commensurate value back for a player of Luongo's calibre, but it's nice to see a team that goes out and gets what it wants - and that should want Luongo - in the mix.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby $lacker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:51 am

Posted it in another thread, but:

@davegisaac: Homer pours ice water on Luongo thoughts. "I don't see how that would work."
@BroadStBull: Homer says Flyers will not pursue Luongo.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:05 pm

I can see them maybe trying Miller for two years if they can get him. I can see them trying Smith. But both scenarios bring problems. Miller has a 6 million cap hit which may be hard for them to fit in. Smith is going to want 6+.

They still need defence.

Having said that, Philly is one of the teams that was said to be interested in Luongo if they could make a roster move to accommodate his cap. At a cap of 5.3 he is a steal for them.

I don't get these teams that try to get by on shitty goaltending while spending to the cap and along comes one with a perfect cap hit. A team like the Flyers has ownership that prints money so they if anyone can absorb the salary and term.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby dbr » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:10 pm

You know, with the Flyers apparently chasing Bobby Ryan I could see them trying to get Jonas Hiller (or Fasth if the Ducks still like JH better) in the bargain.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:14 pm

And this gem from Eklund:

To the surprise of no one, the Flyers have bought out Ilya Bryzgalov. From what I've been hearing today, it looks like Philly may have a plan underway to acquire Roberto Luongo -- not by trade.

I wonder if that means they are tampering? Or are they going to trade us a player just if we buy out Luongo? Like how does one have a plan under way to sign a player under contract with another team when that team has said it won't buy him out. Yes, we may be lying and we may buy him out but are they tampering or what?
Last edited by Hockey Widow on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Eddy Punch Clock » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:And this gem from Eklund:

To the surprise of no one, the Flyers have bought out Ilya Bryzgalov. From what I've been hearing today, it looks like Philly may have a plan underway to acquire Roberto Luongo -- not by trade.

Kidnapping?
2011..... the one that got away.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:27 pm

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:And this gem from Eklund:

Kidnapping?

Osmosis?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby vic » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:28 pm

Looks like the Leafs tried to buy the 3rd overall draft pick for $30 Million, NHL stepped in and said "I don't think so"

Buyout trade between Lightning, Maple Leafs for Vincent Lecavalier reportedly nixed

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/26/tr ... edly-nixed
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Zedlee » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:35 pm

vic wrote:Looks like the Leafs tried to buy the 3rd overall draft pick for $30 Million, NHL stepped in and said "I don't think so"

Buyout trade between Lightning, Maple Leafs for Vincent Lecavalier reportedly nixed

Creative move. Seems the sticking point was that TB wanted to then re-sign Lecavalier, who would be a UFA. The league said no, but really, is that fair? I understand you can't buy out a player and then re-sign him, but if it were the Leafs who did the buy out, what's the problem?
Zedlee
CC Veteran

Postby 5thhorseman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:39 pm

After the buyout, Lecavalier would've been UFA, so there'd be no guarantee he'd resign with the Lightening, or am I missing something here?
5thhorseman
CC Veteran

Postby vic » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Zedlee wrote:
vic wrote:Looks like the Leafs tried to buy the 3rd overall draft pick for $30 Million, NHL stepped in and said "I don't think so"

Creative move. Seems the sticking point was that TB wanted to then re-sign Lecavalier, who would be a UFA. The league said no, but really, is that fair? I understand you can't buy out a player and then re-sign him, but if it were the Leafs who did the buy out, what's the problem?

I don't see the problem either, it was a loop hole found in the CBA.

The good news is that this is another item to tick off the list for the next CBA negotiations. Getting started early this time around :-)
5thhorseman wrote:After the buyout, Lecavalier would've been UFA, so there'd be no guarantee he'd resign with the Lightening, or am I missing something here?

I'm pretty sure TB is the place Vinny wants to spend the rest of his career.
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat