Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by dbr »

He'll be 38 at the end of this deal and his even strength save percentage took a pretty big tumble this year..

I'm guessing that the security of a somewhat long term deal (for a 35+ contract) and the fact that this allows him to stick with a team that is finally turning it around were the big factors.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:He'll be 38 at the end of this deal and his even strength save percentage took a pretty big tumble this year..

I'm guessing that the security of a somewhat long term deal (for a 35+ contract) and the fact that this allows him to stick with a team that is finally turning it around were the big factors.
Just read he underwent sports hernia surgery last month and has been hampered by a bad hip for a while now.

Also he loves it in Minny, sounds like he left money on the table, may have gotten an extra mil as a UFA.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The goalie market shrinks even further. :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lancer wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
$lacker wrote:TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 11m
RT @mnwild: BREAKING: #mnwild has agreed to terms with goalie Niklas Backstrom on a three-year contract. MORE: http://ow.ly/mkRZz
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/212775051.html

Niklas Backstrom has agreed to a three-year deal worth $10.25 million ($3.42 million).
WOW, goes from $6mil/per to $3.42mil/per. :eh:
Maybe his agent saw which way the winds were blowing for UFA goalies of his calibre and went with the sure payday. Wonder what he might have got from the KHL? Wonder if there was a market for his services in the other leagues?

The hacks and Canuck-haters will no doubt crow that it's one less suitor for Luongo's sad-sack contract but it's not like Minny was a serious suitor anyway.
I'm thinking he looked in the mirror, realized he's not getting any younger, and that the cap space might get them a player who puts them closer to being a contender. He probably wants a Cup before he retires.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:
I'm thinking he looked in the mirror, realized he's not getting any younger, and that the cap space might get them a player who puts them closer to being a contender. He probably wants a Cup before he retires.

That and the security of a 3 year deal for a goalie who may not be ready for camp.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20130623/669811773.html

MOSCOW, June 23 (R-Sport) - Vezina Trophy-winning goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky has held talks with KHL president Alexander Medvedev about a move to Russia’s SKA St. Petersburg, Medvedev said Sunday.

Bobrovsky’s dominant season for the Columbus Blue Jackets made him the first Russian to win the NHL's top goaltending honor. Columbus and SKA have both made offers to Bobrovsky, who would become the KHL’s biggest-ever signing were he to return to Russia.

Medvedev suggested a move to SKA could help ensure Bobrovsky of being Russia’s starting goaltender at next year’s Olympics in Sochi, the first time the Winter Games have been held in his home country.

“We think that this is an excellent offer for Sergei to continue his career, a return to his home league, to a strong team,” he said. “I absolutely do not agree with those who think it would be a step backwards.”

SKA has reportedly offered $10 million a year to Bobrovsky, and his pay could be exempted from the KHL salary cap under league rules, which allow certain major signings not to be counted, at the league’s discretion.

Bobrovsky played for SKA during last season’s lockout.
Bernier gone, Backstrom re-signed, Bob to KHL, Lou's value rising... :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

LOL.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

We've heard these rumors before about Russkie teams offering 10 mill a year to guys... has it ever happened?

I suspect he'll be suiting up in the NHL next year, much to the delight of Columbus' 17 fans.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

i dunno Rummy, they're bribing him with the Olympics (not to mention $10MILLION).

Plus, didn't his girlfriend/wife have some visa problems?

I distinctly remember him being homesick for the Motherland his first few years in America.

Besides, the alternative is Columbus. :drink:

I say he's gonzo alonzo....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:i dunno Rummy, they're bribing him with the Olympics (not to mention $10MILLION).

I distinctly remember him being homesick for the Motherland his first few years in America.

The promise of being the starter in the Olympics will be a huge draw and no way he get 10 million out of Columbus. He never struck me as a guy who really adapted to North America. Hope he bolts. But would Luongo waive to play there?
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hockey Widow wrote: But would Luongo waive to play there?
God no. His agent cited "places like Columbus" as the reason Lou had a NTC.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:But would Luongo waive to play there?
Doesn't matter, shortage of number ones drives up value. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:i dunno Rummy, they're bribing him with the Olympics (not to mention $10MILLION).

The promise of being the starter in the Olympics will be a huge draw and no way he get 10 million out of Columbus. He never struck me as a guy who really adapted to North America. Hope he bolts. But would Luongo waive to play there?
Bobrovsky bolting to the KHL looks quite likely IMHO, especially if they're dangling the starting goaltender job for the Olympics. You can't turn down $10 mill a year.

It would also have a couple of huge side-effects. First, it would be a kick to the junk to the Columbus organization. What does it say to everybody - not just fans - when every star they've ever had wants out of Dodge? I can imagine it being even harder to get free agents to come if they don't overpay - even harder than the Isles. If the GM doesn't sign Bobrovsky and he hits the KHL, he may as well hand in his resignation letter. That's a franchise that has the curse of Cain if ever there was one. Can't say as I'd shed a tear though.

Second, I think it would put another scare into clubs about Russian prospects. Who wants to potentially waste a 1st round pick on somebody who may well jump to the KHL if contract negotiations sour, the KHL dangles bucks, or if the mood struck him that day.

Even if Columbus loses Bobrovsky, I don't see Lou landing there. What I do see is them snapping up some other goalie - which further reduces the supply of good goalies out there - which does nothing but enhance Lou's value. Having said that, I wager (hope) that he's already gone come July.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

@jhiitela: Kiprusoff has told to Finnish national team that he is retiring. "If Calgary has not announced it, you guys can do that." #Flames #Kipper

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 2m #BlueJackets asking 4 permission speak to #Flames Kiprusoff in hopes of talking him out of retire'mt. Doesn't app' he will change his mind

So does Columbus know Brobbi is going or are they just trying to go fishing to play poker with the guy?
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Daniel Friedman ‏@DFriedmanWFAN 42s
Flyers announce they will buy out Ilya Bryzgalov. All I can say is, "I told you so."

Another goalie "on the market", another team looking.