Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Hockey Widow » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Montreal announces they will use their second compliance buyout on Kaberle.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3926
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby $lacker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:58 am

TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 11m
RT @mnwild: BREAKING: #mnwild has agreed to terms with goalie Niklas Backstrom on a three-year contract. MORE: http://ow.ly/mkRZz
User avatar
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Strangelove » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:10 am

$lacker wrote:TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 11m
RT @mnwild: BREAKING: #mnwild has agreed to terms with goalie Niklas Backstrom on a three-year contract. MORE: http://ow.ly/mkRZz


http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/212775051.html

Niklas Backstrom has agreed to a three-year deal worth $10.25 million ($3.42 million).


WOW, goes from $6mil/per to $3.42mil/per. :eh:
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7373
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Lancer » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:50 am

Strangelove wrote:
$lacker wrote:TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 11m
RT @mnwild: BREAKING: #mnwild has agreed to terms with goalie Niklas Backstrom on a three-year contract. MORE: http://ow.ly/mkRZz


http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/212775051.html

Niklas Backstrom has agreed to a three-year deal worth $10.25 million ($3.42 million).


WOW, goes from $6mil/per to $3.42mil/per. :eh:


Maybe his agent saw which way the winds were blowing for UFA goalies of his calibre and went with the sure payday. Wonder what he might have got from the KHL? Wonder if there was a market for his services in the other leagues?

The hacks and Canuck-haters will no doubt crow that it's one less suitor for Luongo's sad-sack contract but it's not like Minny was a serious suitor anyway.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1368
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby dbr » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:59 am

He'll be 38 at the end of this deal and his even strength save percentage took a pretty big tumble this year..

I'm guessing that the security of a somewhat long term deal (for a 35+ contract) and the fact that this allows him to stick with a team that is finally turning it around were the big factors.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Strangelove » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:13 pm

dbr wrote:He'll be 38 at the end of this deal and his even strength save percentage took a pretty big tumble this year..

I'm guessing that the security of a somewhat long term deal (for a 35+ contract) and the fact that this allows him to stick with a team that is finally turning it around were the big factors.


Just read he underwent sports hernia surgery last month and has been hampered by a bad hip for a while now.

Also he loves it in Minny, sounds like he left money on the table, may have gotten an extra mil as a UFA.
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7373
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby SKYO » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:36 pm

The goalie market shrinks even further. :thumbs:
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3453
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Meds » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Lancer wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
$lacker wrote:TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 11m
RT @mnwild: BREAKING: #mnwild has agreed to terms with goalie Niklas Backstrom on a three-year contract. MORE: http://ow.ly/mkRZz


http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/212775051.html

Niklas Backstrom has agreed to a three-year deal worth $10.25 million ($3.42 million).


WOW, goes from $6mil/per to $3.42mil/per. :eh:


Maybe his agent saw which way the winds were blowing for UFA goalies of his calibre and went with the sure payday. Wonder what he might have got from the KHL? Wonder if there was a market for his services in the other leagues?

The hacks and Canuck-haters will no doubt crow that it's one less suitor for Luongo's sad-sack contract but it's not like Minny was a serious suitor anyway.


I'm thinking he looked in the mirror, realized he's not getting any younger, and that the cap space might get them a player who puts them closer to being a contender. He probably wants a Cup before he retires.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3332
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Meds wrote:
I'm thinking he looked in the mirror, realized he's not getting any younger, and that the cap space might get them a player who puts them closer to being a contender. He probably wants a Cup before he retires.



That and the security of a 3 year deal for a goalie who may not be ready for camp.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3926
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Strangelove » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:44 pm

http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20130623/669811773.html

MOSCOW, June 23 (R-Sport) - Vezina Trophy-winning goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky has held talks with KHL president Alexander Medvedev about a move to Russia’s SKA St. Petersburg, Medvedev said Sunday.

Bobrovsky’s dominant season for the Columbus Blue Jackets made him the first Russian to win the NHL's top goaltending honor. Columbus and SKA have both made offers to Bobrovsky, who would become the KHL’s biggest-ever signing were he to return to Russia.

Medvedev suggested a move to SKA could help ensure Bobrovsky of being Russia’s starting goaltender at next year’s Olympics in Sochi, the first time the Winter Games have been held in his home country.

“We think that this is an excellent offer for Sergei to continue his career, a return to his home league, to a strong team,” he said. “I absolutely do not agree with those who think it would be a step backwards.”

SKA has reportedly offered $10 million a year to Bobrovsky, and his pay could be exempted from the KHL salary cap under league rules, which allow certain major signings not to be counted, at the league’s discretion.

Bobrovsky played for SKA during last season’s lockout.


Bernier gone, Backstrom re-signed, Bob to KHL, Lou's value rising... :drink:
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7373
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:21 pm

LOL.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3926
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Rumsfeld » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:24 pm

We've heard these rumors before about Russkie teams offering 10 mill a year to guys... has it ever happened?

I suspect he'll be suiting up in the NHL next year, much to the delight of Columbus' 17 fans.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Strangelove » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:44 pm

i dunno Rummy, they're bribing him with the Olympics (not to mention $10MILLION).

Plus, didn't his girlfriend/wife have some visa problems?

I distinctly remember him being homesick for the Motherland his first few years in America.

Besides, the alternative is Columbus. :drink:

I say he's gonzo alonzo....
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7373
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Strangelove wrote:i dunno Rummy, they're bribing him with the Olympics (not to mention $10MILLION).

Plus, didn't his girlfriend/wife have some visa problems?

I distinctly remember him being homesick for the Motherland his first few years in America.

Besides, the alternative is Columbus. :drink:

I say he's gonzo alonzo....



The promise of being the starter in the Olympics will be a huge draw and no way he get 10 million out of Columbus. He never struck me as a guy who really adapted to North America. Hope he bolts. But would Luongo waive to play there?
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3926
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Rumsfeld » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Hockey Widow wrote: But would Luongo waive to play there?


God no. His agent cited "places like Columbus" as the reason Lou had a NTC.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aisha, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest