Re-sign the Sedins thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re-sign the Sedins?

Yes
75%
No
11%
Maybe
9%
Who gives a shit
5%

Total votes: 44

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Re-sign the Sedins thread

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:
Strangelove wrote:So you're a screw dignity and class kinda guy Mëds? :D

Who knew....
When it comes to winning or not winning a Stanley Cup? Yeah, I don't care if Lap takes his skate off and tries to slit a throat......just want that fucking banner in the rafters.
... and there ain't nuthin wrong widdat. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Dan's lost his god damned mind..

If the Sedins want $8m each on their next deal then yeah you start making plans to move on but those plans almost certainly involve being an awful team for at least half a decade and I have no interest in that.

For what it's probably going to cost to re-sign Daniel and Henrik you will get one good first liner and one middling second liner in free agency - if it's a good year and those players hit free agency and actually want to sign here.

Are they tough enough, well they haven't stopped going to the dirty areas.. I'm still inclined to say no but there are 10 other forwards and 6 defensemen, let them make up for it. Are David Krejci or Tyler Segui or Pat Kane or Patrick Sharp 'tough'?

Anyway, my guess is the Sedins want to win and will continue to leave money on the table to do so. As long as their game doesn't fall off a cliff I'm happy to have them here, and as long as Mike Gillis makes the most of it then its definitely the best hope this franchise has for a cup.

This team can have enough assholes without turfing the Sedins but they won't have enough skill to win any time soon if they do.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

dbr wrote:Dan's lost his god damned mind..
2 sweeps(might as well be 2 anyway) has me out of my head with despair :scowl:

Oh and Davester... lets leave the aliens out of this mmmkay? ;)
If you need air...call it in
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

"Lapdogg" is a fucking faggot and a scumbag.

Sorta like posters that use the word lapdogg in a sentence.

Part of the problem. Much like a Royaldude post, terminate with prejudice.

Next.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dbr wrote:Are they tough enough, well they haven't stopped going to the dirty areas.. I'm still inclined to say no but there are 10 other forwards and 6 defensemen, let them make up for it. Are David Krejci or Tyler Segui or Pat Kane or Patrick Sharp 'tough'?

Anyway, my guess is the Sedins want to win and will continue to leave money on the table to do so. As long as their game doesn't fall off a cliff I'm happy to have them here, and as long as Mike Gillis makes the most of it then its definitely the best hope this franchise has for a cup.

This team can have enough assholes without turfing the Sedins but they won't have enough skill to win any time soon if they do.
:thumbs: I'd say keep re-signing the twins till MG and the scouts can draft a future franchise center somehow, which *gasp* means actually trying to scout out centers which may be available with our late 1st and 2nd round picks.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

I would only bring them back if they took a huge discount. $3.5M each per year or else they walk. They aren't the type of players who will lead this team to a Cup, and even in our 2011 run they weren't leading the team in the playoffs. I'm sorry but 1 monster series against San Jose doesn't cover up for the fact that they no-showed 2.5 series (Boston, Nashville, and last half of the Chicago series). Now that they're older and require higher offensive zone starts than your typical 1st liner just to maintain typical 1st line production, we are really shooting ourselves in the foot here. I say it's time to move on, turn the page, and rebuild.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Except they got fewer offensive zone starts last year without a corresponding drop in even strength production.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dbr wrote:Except they got fewer offensive zone starts last year without a corresponding drop in even strength production.
No idea how you guys do it on hfboards. The retard factor of that place is rivaling oilfans.com. Not as stupid as the crowd at Bountiful but definitley short bus material . Thing is the mods protect the mongoloids at these places so if you take a bit of a run at them and call them out you get turfed. I understand HW used to work for the Canucks according to some of the tards.

As for signing the twins to 3.5 million.... sure then blow the whole fucking thing up then. everyone not named Tanev, Kassian, Corrado or Gaunce can beat it. Vancouver may have some of the most ignorant fans in the league. I would gladly keep the twins around on deals of 5 millon per as long as they are productive.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
dbr wrote:Except they got fewer offensive zone starts last year without a corresponding drop in even strength production.
No idea how you guys do it on hfboards. The retard factor of that place is rivaling oilfans.com. Not as stupid as the crowd at Bountiful but definitley short bus material . Thing is the mods protect the mongoloids at these places so if you take a bit of a run at them and call them out you get turfed. I understand HW used to work for the Canucks according to some of the tards.

As for signing the twins to 3.5 million.... sure then blow the whole fucking thing up then. everyone not named Tanev, Kassian, Corrado or Gaunce can beat it. Vancouver may have some of the most ignorant fans in the league. I would gladly keep the twins around on deals of 5 millon per as long as they are productive.
For some people like you maybe mediocrity is acceptable. Not for me. This team isn't a contender and won't be a contender until we move on from the Sedins or until they take less money to play here. They simply aren't that good in the playoffs, grossly overrated by most in Vancouver but the fact they don't have Cup rings is a testament to that. We needed better than the couple of points they put up.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Jesus Pauser you can't be this thick can you ? The twins are TOP FUCKING TWENTY in ppg over the last five playoff years. Yes they have had ups and downs from series to series JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER FUCKING PLAYER OVER THE LAST FIFTY FUCKING YEARS. The difference between them and the PLAYERS THAT WIN THE FUCKING CUP is that those players actually get SOME FUCKING SCORING SUPPORT.

Yet you want to pay them as third line players . As Ron White says you can't fix stupid. Or perhaps you are trolling?? I get not wanting to build around them, so I'm all ears if you or anyone else can come up with a better option at their pricepoint.

It's hard to soar like an eagle when you have a bunch of penguins, grubby crows, filthy pigeons and vultures tugging at your wings.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Jesus Pauser you can't be this thick can you ? The twins are TOP FUCKING TWENTY in ppg over the last five playoff years. Yes they have had ups and downs from series to series JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER FUCKING PLAYER OVER THE LAST FIFTY FUCKING YEARS. The difference between them and the PLAYERS THAT WIN THE FUCKING CUP is that those players actually get SOME FUCKING SCORING SUPPORT.

Yet you want to pay them as third line players . As Ron White says you can't fix stupid. Or perhaps you are trolling?? I get not wanting to build around them, so I'm all ears if you or anyone else can come up with a better option at their pricepoint.

It's hard to soar like an eagle when you have a bunch of penguins, grubby crows, filthy pigeons and vultures tugging at your wings.
All I read was blah blah blah blah blah. Excuse after excuse. I'm sick of the excuses. The Sedins as leaders aren't good enough. They eat up all of the offensive zone starts so one would expect their scoring production to make up for the lack of scoring production you will see from our secondary scorers who are primarily starting in the defensive zone. That hasn't happened.

Also, try looking at their stats without the 2011 SJ series outlier. Those playoffs in particular Henrik had 10 points in 20 games in the other 3 series combined, Daniel had 14 in 20. I won't bother to mention their +/- because it was shockingly bad.

Maybe if the captain of this team had bothered to show up for the STANLEY CUP FINALS and score MORE THAN ONE POINT in the entire series we would have a Cup. Hell all your precious "wonder twins" had to do was show up for game 7, put up a few points, win the game and then they'd be Cup champions, but they couldn't even do that.

I will never forgive the Sedins for their no-showing act of the 2011 Stanley Cup finals. It was an embarrassment watching them flop around on the ice. It was an embarrassment watching Daniel let a shrimp pop him in the face without doing a damn thing about it. It was an embarrassment watching them skate around and not do their damn jobs by putting the puck in the net. It was an embarrassment watching them get exposed defensively. Defend them all you want but this team will never win a Cup with the Sedins as the focal point of our offense.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The_Pauser wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Jesus Pauser you can't be this thick can you ? The twins are TOP FUCKING TWENTY in ppg over the last five playoff years. Yes they have had ups and downs from series to series JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER FUCKING PLAYER OVER THE LAST FIFTY FUCKING YEARS. The difference between them and the PLAYERS THAT WIN THE FUCKING CUP is that those players actually get SOME FUCKING SCORING SUPPORT.

All I read was blah blah blah blah blah. Excuse after excuse. I'm sick of the excuses. The Sedins as leaders aren't good enough. They eat up all of the offensive zone starts so one would expect their scoring production to make up for the lack of scoring production you will see from our secondary scorers who are primarily starting in the defensive zone. That hasn't happened.

Also, try looking at their stats without the 2011 SJ series outlier. Those playoffs in particular Henrik had 10 points in 20 games in the other 3 series combined, Daniel had 14 in 20. I won't bother to mention their +/- because it was shockingly bad.

Maybe if the captain of this team had bothered to show up for the STANLEY CUP FINALS and score MORE THAN ONE POINT in the entire series we would have a Cup. Hell all your precious "wonder twins" had to do was show up for game 7, put up a few points, win the game and then they'd be Cup champions, but they couldn't even do that.

I will never forgive the Sedins for their no-showing act of the 2011 Stanley Cup finals. It was an embarrassment watching them flop around on the ice. It was an embarrassment watching Daniel let a shrimp pop him in the face without doing a damn thing about it. It was an embarrassment watching them skate around and not do their damn jobs by putting the puck in the net. It was an embarrassment watching them get exposed defensively. Defend them all you want but this team will never win a Cup with the Sedins as the focal point of our offense.
Your argument is worthless Pauser.

Look at the Hawks. Look at Toews numbers over the last 3 playoffs. He's been garbage. Same with Kane until this series really. The Hawks have gotten where they are on the back of their secondary and tertiary scoring. The Sedins might not have that "next gear" for the playoffs, but they sure don't lose anything when compared to their peers. They are consistent. Very few top 20 regular season scores actually step it up and produce more come the playoffs. It's the odd 2nd line guy, and more often the bottom 6 that find said gear and help put the team over the top.

As for scoring more than a single point in the finals against Boston......you can say the same thing about Crosby and Malkin, and they are supposed to be the best players in the world.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

If the twins take market value or slightly less and still produce at their current pace why would you not take them back year to year? We have nothing waiting int he wings to replace their minutes and production and we sure as hell have not attracted FA of their ilk. The problem as other shave said is that we just don't have secondary production to back them up.

As for the rumour of where I worked I can say there is absolutely no truth to that one, that I used to work for the Canucks. :mrgreen: I mean as if it matters. But that is original. The other I liked was that I was really a member of the Vancouver sports media and I use the persona HW to release information that sources give me off the record. That one was rich too.

But really, does it matter? Everything I say is just gossip, rumour and innuendo until and unless it is confirmed by the Canucks.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The_Pauser wrote:For some people like you maybe mediocrity is acceptable. Not for me.
The rallying cry of the half-wit.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Sign them to 1-2 year deals commensurate with their performance next year. If they move back into top 10 scoring, it'll be 5-6 mill range (depending on discount), lower then 4-5 mill range. Scoring talent does not grow on trees. Even if Canucks are going through re-set phase they'll be important for keeping the team competitive as the next gen (Kass, Jensen, Gaunce etc) moves into the fold. No more than a 2 year deal would seem to work for both sides.