Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire asshole coach John Tortorella rum

Post by Strangelove »

I wonder if they're taking their sweet time in announcing Torts because they want to announce the assistants as well.

It seems obvious Mike Sullivan will be one of em (Torts chose him in Tampa and then brought him to NY).

Arneil seems likely to be the other.
____
Try to focus on someday.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Strangelove wrote:I wonder if they're taking their sweet time in announcing Torts because they want to announce the assistants as well.

It seems obvious Mike Sullivan will be one of em (Torts chose him in Tampa and then brought him to NY).

They will need someone for the PP. Sullivan and Torts haven't had much success with the man advantage in neither Tampa nor New York.

Can Arniel be that guy?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

coco_canuck wrote: They will need someone for the PP. Sullivan and Torts haven't had much success with the man advantage in neither Tampa nor New York.
Boucher!! :thumbs:

The more assholes the merrier....
____
Try to focus on someday.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Well one thing for sure, after game pressers will be very entertaining in Vancouver. So who in the Vancouver media is going to become Torts favorite punching bag?
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I guess it's Gillis's fault nobody offered fuck all for Luongo, that Booth got hurt and that manny got hurt too probably. May as well blame him for high gas prices, the Pickton murders and the bike lanes as well.

Expat, i can see Botchford, Tony G and the Nonis fingerpuppetts; Ian MacIntyre and Ed Willes being in the crosshairs of the new coach. Acutally Gallagher will likely become a schill for the new coach. Too bad Neil Macrae retired . :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I can't wait for the media to get lambasted for manufacturing controversy, which is exactly what these rag reports need. Torts will defend his team no question, Gillis does the same thing but he uses a bucket of sarcasm. Torts will just be straight up and direct with the half assed Vancouver media.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:I wonder if they're taking their sweet time in announcing Torts because they want to announce the assistants as well.

Nah. Vigneault had his deal verbally in place last Friday, notified Dallas he was out, and the Rangers still didn't officially announce until Monday or Tuesday. It's just the way things are done.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

To me the biggest blunder MG has made was at the centre position. He trades CoHo just before the end of last season. He feels strongly that Manny is done this year and he knows Kesler will not be ready to start the year. That was what screwed us all year, lack of centre depth. I think if he had been offered a centre of merit he would have made the Luongo deal. But his inability to get the centre position shored up, to me, was his biggest blunder.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:
Boucher!! :thumbs:

The more assholes the merrier....
Where's that hand slapping GIF...
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I think Torts will help turn Kassian into the asshole we all know he can be. Vinyo had him on a rediculously short rope but this isn't how one fosters the sphincter-ness....it must be channeled.

We can only hope the bellowing blowhard will draw out the pus-like anger within and turn our mild mannered winger into...

The Sphincter-STER
If you need air...call it in
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

ESQ wrote:Finally, Boston_Canucker I'm interested in your take as someone more up-close to the Rangers the past few seasons. At the start of each season I've always thought, "here come the Rags, finally made that move to make them truly elite, watch out Eastern Conference". Looking back with hindsight though, I believe the Rags have been grossly over-rated, outside of Lundqvist. If you make a list of the worst contracts in the League, almost all of them are Rangers - Redden, Gomez, Drury, Rozsival, Gaborik, Richards (if he doesn't bounce back).

Sather has made a blockbuster move every year that gets the national media (i.e. ESPN) in a tizzy, but almost all of them have been busts. I would say Torts met reasonable expectations with his teams, maybe slightly over-performed a few times, but I would not say he under-performed with the teams he had.
In Torts' defense, I will say that the great King Henrik has rarely really raised his game in the playoffs. He did this year, in coming back against the Caps, he was great, but HL was never the game-changing goalie in the playoffs that he should be. Beyond that, my issue with Torts is that he wore his own team down (this is also the issue with the many Rangers fans I know, who got tired of the shotblocking and the tight reigns on the offensive players), and that despite the fact that he had enough offensive talent to expect more production, his team's PP and offense was, to say the least, underwhelming. Sather takes blame too, but it's on the coach to figure out how to get players into a position to do what they do best. Torts even admitted after they lost to Boston that he could not get his players to get to the next level, and one of them was Nash, he was only in his first year under Tortorella. And yes, Sather takes some blame too, but he has also gone out of his way to find talent for the Rangers, offensive talent. The Rangers PP and general offensive production under this coach was just not good enough, and while the team did not have Pens/Hawks level talent,they had enough to be better than they were. I know many a Ranger fan who is not happy with Sather, and I don't know a single one who was upset with his firing; they were thrilled with it. Maybe it is familiarity breeds contempt, as happens with AV

My main worry is about the playoffs. I actually think he'll get the team to the playoffs; there will be a spring in their step in a tough new division, and they'll be in the mix somewhere. But at least with the Rangers, his teams peter out, and he doesn't have - or didn't with the Rangers - that next level or adjustment to get them past teams they could have beaten. Most Rangers fans I know really feel that they should have beaten the Devils last year, but among the many things that kept that from happening, one was the view that Deboer outcoached Tortorella. I'm always suspicious of the whole "outcoached" thing, but I do agree that that was a winnable series for the Rangers.

My hope is that Tortorella has a very positive effect on young guys like Kassian, Jensen, and Gaunce (Stepan did blossom under him) and on the D-core, especially Edler who needs his own personal re-set.

It looks like he is the coach, so I'll be on board and hope for the best.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

As long as Tortorella doesn’t start dragging players through the mud publicly, I am fine with his hiring.

The consensus is that Torts is a tough but fair coach, which I think is just what the doctor ordered for this group. Tortorella being more involved in the dressing room will be a welcome change from the way AV handled the team from a distance. I also think Torts’ intensity behind the bench will be a welcome change from the laid back Vigneault.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:As long as Tortorella doesn’t start dragging players through the mud publicly, I am fine with his hiring.

The consensus is that Torts is a tough but fair coach, which I think is just what the doctor ordered for this group. Tortorella being more involved in the dressing room will be a welcome change from the way AV handled the team from a distance. I also think Torts’ intensity behind the bench will be a welcome change from the laid back Vigneault.
I'm a bit curious about this commonly held view that Torts likes to try his players in the press when they struggle. He doesn't. There have been a couple of guys who he has commented on, but only when asked specifically about them. In general, he runs the entire team through the mud and under the bus. It's always, or mostly, a "WE sucked", "WE couldn't get it done"', that you hear from him.....it's not even a "they", he willingly throws the entire bench, both on and behind it, under the bus after poor efforts.

There have been exceptions, but they are few.

I do like how when a player isn't getting it done and Tort makes him a healthy scratch that he then rips the press and media whores for any articles that run the player down. He seems to like discipline to be handled in house and any negative speculation about a player just pisses him off. I think he genuinely respects his guys and believes that only the coaching staff and fellow players should be the heavy hand keeping the, accountable to play the way they can play.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Boston Canucker wrote:Beyond that, my issue with Torts is that he wore his own team down (this is also the issue with the many Rangers fans I know, who got tired of the shotblocking and the tight reigns on the offensive players), and that despite the fact that he had enough offensive talent to expect more production, his team's PP and offense was, to say the least, underwhelming.
That's interesting, something I've wondered about is with Torts' proclivity to benching any player (star or scrub) who doesn't perform is if it leads to over-reliance on his favourites. Looking back at ATOI from last season, he rode Girardi and McDonagh to 26 min/night, while Ryan Callahan was at almost 24 minutes!! This is the same Ryan Callahan who according to Sather separated his shoulder 10 times last season.

That model of a few players eating up tons of minutes has never been done under AV, though guys like Hamhuis and the Sedins would probably thrive (or at least survive) with more double-shifting. I'd hate to see Kesler playing 24 min a night in the regular season, with his injury issues.
Most Rangers fans I know really feel that they should have beaten the Devils last year, but among the many things that kept that from happening, one was the view that Deboer outcoached Tortorella. I'm always suspicious of the whole "outcoached" thing, but I do agree that that was a winnable series for the Rangers.
I definitely didn't follow the Rags close enough to know something like that. Though with the Rangers up 2-1 with home-ice and losing in 6, I was reminded of the first two Chicago series.

It sounds like that series may have been a turning point for Torts' tenure in New York, and he was skating on thin ice with fans (and possibly players) after that. After the similar point in AV's tenure with playoff disappointment and under-performance (back-to-back defeats by Chicago), the GM got canned not the coach.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The Vancouver Canucks have called a news conference for Tuesday to announce the hiring of John Tortorella as head coach.

(TSN)

Guess the rumour part is over.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."