Vancouver Canucks hire coach John Tortorella

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Vancouver Canucks hire asshole coach John Tortorella rum

Post by dbr »

Tortorella is actually an early adapter of the same type of zone based deployment AV used (which it's widely assumed was done at Gillis' behest).

I don't know if people are saying this doesn't look like a Gillis hire because Torts was a defensive coach and a clown with the media in New York (and because he passed over an unheralded money puck type in Stevens) but on slightly closer inspection I think there's reason to think Torts can be a Gillis type too.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I was listening to Sports Talk and they had some interesting tidbits. Russell had a guest on (Brad Zimmer?) and from what they could tell, the Torts hiring really has the finger prints of an Aquillini family decision rather than Gillis. Gillis would probably go with a Stevens/Ruff type and getting Torts is really out of character for him. They also suggested that cuz the Nucks didn't do well in the playoffs the last couple years, the Aquillinis basically said to Gillis: u had your chance, it's not working out, we're getting involved in this one. MG must not feel very good right now and is probably on thin ice. Take it for what it's worth.

They also brought up an interesting question. When AV called out Kesler a few times in the past, Kes got really defensive and fired back. It's going to be really interesting to see how Kesler reacts when Torts criticizes Kes.
This is one of my biggest concerns with how this may have played out. There are a few different stories out there; one that Gillis was basically telling players at exit interviews that Torts would be the man if he got canned in NY and the other that Aquilini wanted this hire (these two don't have to be opposing stories of course, but might be). I hope this is Gillis' hire, which is not to say I like it, I don't, but if it is the owner's hire, that is a really bad sign. If Aquilini doesn't trust Gillis to make this very important decision, he should fire him now and get a GM he trusts, otherwise, having an owner with no substantive hockey knowledge or experience making decisions like a fan would is a deathly road for us to go down. I'm real skeptical of this Torts hire, and if it does turn out to be Aquilini pushing it (when Gillis wanted Stevens, who would have been my choice) then it's going to get ugly, and fast, not interested in a Harold Ballard situation here...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Seeing loads of similarities between the Torts hiring and the Keenan hiring way back. Bringing in the crazies with hopes of lighting a spark with a team needing one. Desperate measures for desperate times. We all know this will fail in the end. Gillis is making all the classic mistakes...what a rookie GM. He will be fired soon enough. Push the rebuild button, why delay the inevitable.

Still looking forward to the Torterella circus, it will be fun seeing how he deals with the media as the ship starts to sink.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Boston Canucker wrote:[

This is one of my biggest concerns with how this may have played out. There are a few different stories out there; one that Gillis was basically telling players at exit interviews that Torts would be the man if he got canned in NY and the other that Aquilini wanted this hire (these two don't have to be opposing stories of course, but might be). I hope this is Gillis' hire, which is not to say I like it, I don't, but if it is the owner's hire, that is a really bad sign. If Aquilini doesn't trust Gillis to make this very important decision, he should fire him now and get a GM he trusts, otherwise, having an owner with no substantive hockey knowledge or experience making decisions like a fan would is a deathly road for us to go down. I'm real skeptical of this Torts hire, and if it does turn out to be Aquilini pushing it (when Gillis wanted Stevens, who would have been my choice) then it's going to get ugly, and fast, not interested in a Harold Ballard situation here...
Tortoise and the Aquaman. Match made in Italy

Would love to see Aquaman fire Gillis and get Lombardi out of LA.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
They also brought up an interesting question. When AV called out Kesler a few times in the past, Kes got really defensive and fired back. It's going to be really interesting to see how Kesler reacts when Torts criticizes Kes.
Excuse my language but fuck Kesler and any other player that cries when he is called out. Maybe he wouldn't be called out if he was playing his game like he is paid to. Way too many wimps on this team and if anything Tortorella will hold them more accountable.

No wonder this team has sucked the big one over the past couple of seasons, way too many floaters.

Put me down as someone who likes this move.

Now MG needs to make some trades.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: I was listening to Sports Talk and they had some interesting tidbits. Russell had a guest on (Brad Zimmer?) and from what they could tell, the Torts hiring really has the finger prints of an Aquillini family decision rather than Gillis. Gillis would probably go with a Stevens/Ruff type and getting Torts is really out of character for him. They also suggested that cuz the Nucks didn't do well in the playoffs the last couple years, the Aquillinis basically said to Gillis: u had your chance, it's not working out, we're getting involved in this one. MG must not feel very good right now and is probably on thin ice. Take it for what it's worth.
"Take it for what it's worth" - Well, it's worth shit! :evil:

Shit which these dumfucks clearly pulled out of their respective asses.

When Torts was first mentioned by HW as the rumoured #1 Gillis choice, yours truly considered the possibility.

"Italian Connection".

Then "common sense" took over.

Clearly these Sports Talk dumfucks are lacking in common sense.

Why on Earth would Mike Gillis kowtow to the you-know-wots?

Your typical GM would tell the owners to fire him if they can't accept his choice for coach.

Your typical GM has a high level of pride and a huge ego.

A man like Gillis doesn't live in fear of being fired like clowns on Sports Talk no doubt do.

A man like Gillis KNOWS he would land on his feet.

A man like Gillis is going to do things HIS way, albeit with feedback from his inner circle of hirelings.

But thanks anyway.... Todd. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: We all know this will fail in the end.
I beg to differ.

____
Try to focus on someday.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: We all know this will fail in the end.
I beg to differ.

Crawford and Keenan have taken similar photos, no?

I sense it will fail, but here's hoping for the best...either way, it's going to be crazy crackers in vancity.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Interesting watching various news sources on this. The media have already begun to approach this very aggressively. Their posturing for the impending post game pressers has already begun.

It's like watching caged animals being stalked.

Fucking hilarious.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Boston Canucker wrote: I sense it will fail
... but you don't "know" it will fail.

The Dude seems to think everyone knows it will fail!

Yours truly is excited because yours truly has been asking for more assholishness behind the bench for years

... ever since Ryan 'Mr Nice Guy' Walter was hired to work with fellow nice guy Alain Vigneault. :crazy:

Yup, yours truly ranted and raved about dat dere a few times at old Central.

Well it appears as though GMMG finally "gets it".

And hey, it's not too late to win a Cup! :thumbs:

Now if GMMG can finally succeed in bringing in a coupla major assholes who can play the game of hockey....
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

lol topper.

--

Looking over previous trades like that atrocious Gomez to Habs deal in 2009, seen this quote by Sather which is rather interesting..
-Rangers GM Glen Sather

We also have depth with some of the kids we have in the minors. Torts (coach John Tortorella) has talked about the young guys and we wanted to make some room for them so we did."

It's nice to know he isn't a hardcore, just play the veterans type! :thumbs:

Article http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=432312 also talks a bit about Lecavalier to Habs deal that didn't materialize, and the Habs were also going to go after the Sedin's had they reached ufa.
And finally about Higgins being excited to go to the NYR because he has a lot of family there, "a dream come true."
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Strangelove wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote: I sense it will fail
... but you don't "know" it will fail.

The Dude seems to think everyone knows it will fail!

Yours truly is excited because yours truly has been asking for more assholishness behind the bench for years

... ever since Ryan 'Mr Nice Guy' Walter was hired to work with fellow nice guy Alain Vigneault. :crazy:

Yup, yours truly ranted and raved about dat dere a few times at old Central.

Well it appears as though GMMG finally "gets it".

And hey, it's not too late to win a Cup! :thumbs:

Now if GMMG can finally succeed in bringing in a coupla major assholes who can play the game of hockey....
I agree it's not too late, and the window is open wider than often given credit I believe. I'm fine with more assholishness, but I watched it not work in NY, with a great goalie, pretty nice D-core, and some strong forward talent, if not terribly deep up front (hmm, this sounds familiar)...but in a much weaker conference, so yes, I gotta wonder how the Torts act will translate in Aqualand. My hope would be that he has a great impact on Kassian and somehow gets Edler turned around. It's going to be a bumpy ride, buckle up!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Boston Canucker wrote: I agree it's not too late, and the window is open wider than often given credit I believe. I'm fine with more assholishness, but I watched it not work in NY, with a great goalie, pretty nice D-core, and some strong forward talent, if not terribly deep up front (hmm, this sounds familiar)...but in a much weaker conference, so yes, I gotta wonder how the Torts act will translate in Aqualand. My hope would be that he has a great impact on Kassian and somehow gets Edler turned around. It's going to be a bumpy ride, buckle up!
I dunno, weren't the Rags a mess when Torts first got there?

And hadn't he reached the end of his shelf-life by the time they had the talent?

Now he comes to the Canucks where the talent is/should-be there and he is fresh outta the can?

Y'gotta believe!

... cuz if this all goes south we'll be in Hell and RD will be the devil. :eh:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote:lol topper.
You've seen it I'm sure. They are acting like a herd of buffalo about to be run off a cliff.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I have a feeling that if this was the owners' decision, Tortorella would have been announced as the coach a long time ago. This has the feel of Gillis' deliberate process even if Torts was Gillis' first choice all along. Go figure, as soon as Tippett re-signed in Phoenix all of a sudden coaches were being announced left, right and centre.

As for Tortorella himself, I don't think we'll see quite the same show we saw on Broadway here. Whether it's through introspection and self-analysis after getting fired or knowing this may be his last waltz in the NHL coaching ranks if he screws up in Vancouver, Tortorella has to know he needs to tune up and change his approach somewhat. Not to say I'm expecting a Bizarro version of Tortorella, but we'll see how much this tiger can change his stripes.

I just hope we see something more like the "safe is death" Tortorella style of play, as opposed to the low-scoring muck he deployed in New York.

All that said, I'm grabbing my helmet, tightening my lap-belt and holding on. Don't know where Tortorella train will end up, but the ride won't be boring. :drink:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.