Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Coaches canned

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:01 pm

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/6/20/4 ... tortorella

Dallas has not yet agreed to a contract with Ruff. They were impressed with Torts and want to give it some more thought. Could it be that MG gets forced to act sooner rather than later.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Boston Canucker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:09 pm

ESQ wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:I hope they go with Stevens, not Tortorella. Stevens' work with LA seems impressive, and he's coached at all levels, with many different types of players. My issue with Torts is not his personality, but that I actually don't think he gets the best out of his players, or if he does it is very short term, wears them out. I don't think he got the best out of Nash or Gaborik for eg., and NYR's pp and general offense was not the least bit impressive. I'm really not interested in us becoming team shotblock...no evidence this leads to Cups. I sense Stevens is the better choice, hope MG goes this way.

I disagree somewhat there, Gaborik did have his career best seasons under Torts, hitting 40 goals twice. Nash is a 60-70 point player, who puts in 30+ goals. Nash's first season under Torts had him at a 80 point pace (would have been a career year) and almost 40 goals.

I do agree that Nash and others took big steps back under Torts in the playoffs this year. On the one hand its troubling to see the players not respond at the critical time of year, on the other hand the NYR run this year was quite remarkable considering how little offensive production they got from their stars.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant in the playoffs. AV's regular season teams were not the issue, it was the playoffs as we know (except for 2011). I didn't see Torts getting the most out of his big guys in the playoffs. If it is Torts, I'll certainly hope for the best, and we'll likely see some a different type of approach for the Canucks on the ice...but as we know it's all about playoffs, and there, I don't know...I will enjoy him snapping at Gallagher and Botch, won't mind that a bit.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby SKYO » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:13 pm

ah thanks SL!

And yeah MG probably doesn't want to lose Torts to the Stars.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:35 pm

Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote:Which assistant coaches did Torts have before? :o

In New York it was Jim Schoenfeld and Mike Sullivan.

But they didn't get canned.

And Sullivan is the heir apparent to Slats so....

Not sure who his assistants in Tampa were.

But I'm sure a guy like Torts would love to choose his assistants.

I'm sure he would have quite a few in mind at this point.

Hey I wonder what Craig Ramsay is doing these days. :mex:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/John+Tortorella+succeed+with+Vancouver/8556009/story.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+canwest%2FF6949+(The+Province+-+Canucks+%2F+Hockey)

And you also have to think that Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini wants to change the message and take players out of a comfort zone. He wants a butt-kicker, and if that’s the case, -Gillis will have to make sure somebody is wearing the white hat and patting players on the back.

That’s how it works in the NHL. Tortorella had Craig Ramsay as that kind of assistant in Tampa Bay when the Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2004.

“Torts is a very good coach who wears people thin,” said an NHL source. “He had no filter in New York and John needs a filter. Craig Ramsay was a great fit. There was all kinds of intensity coming from the bench in New York and no backdrop at all.”

Kind of like Vigneault and Rick Bowness in Vancouver. They may have had their differences behind the scenes, but always presented a united front. The search for the right associate coach for the Canucks could be as important as hiring the right head coach.

“We were like an old married couple,” Bowness said of Vigneault when the former Canucks associate accepted a three-year contract to have the same role with rookie head coach Jon Cooper in Tampa Bay.

“We’d yell and scream at each other behind the scenes and then we’d walk out and we’re one voice. It’s smooth and it works.”

Although I'd rather all the coaches are assholes.

Players too, assholes understand assholes and are not put off by assholes.
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Arachnid » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:45 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote:Which assistant coaches did Torts have before? :o

In New York it was Jim Schoenfeld and Mike Sullivan.

But they didn't get canned.

And Sullivan is the heir apparent to Slats so....

Not sure who his assistants in Tampa were.

But I'm sure a guy like Torts would love to choose his assistants.

I'm sure he would have quite a few in mind at this point.

Hey I wonder what Craig Ramsay is doing these days. :mex:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/John+Tortorella+succeed+with+Vancouver/8556009/story.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+canwest%2FF6949+(The+Province+-+Canucks+%2F+Hockey)

And you also have to think that Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini wants to change the message and take players out of a comfort zone. He wants a butt-kicker, and if that’s the case, -Gillis will have to make sure somebody is wearing the white hat and patting players on the back.

That’s how it works in the NHL. Tortorella had Craig Ramsay as that kind of assistant in Tampa Bay when the Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2004.

“Torts is a very good coach who wears people thin,” said an NHL source. “He had no filter in New York and John needs a filter. Craig Ramsay was a great fit. There was all kinds of intensity coming from the bench in New York and no backdrop at all.”

Kind of like Vigneault and Rick Bowness in Vancouver. They may have had their differences behind the scenes, but always presented a united front. The search for the right associate coach for the Canucks could be as important as hiring the right head coach.

“We were like an old married couple,” Bowness said of Vigneault when the former Canucks associate accepted a three-year contract to have the same role with rookie head coach Jon Cooper in Tampa Bay.

“We’d yell and scream at each other behind the scenes and then we’d walk out and we’re one voice. It’s smooth and it works.”

Although I'd rather all the coaches are assholes.

Players too, assholes understand assholes and are not put off by assholes.

He'll be coaching Luo soon enough :|
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Topper » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:18 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/6/20/4449420/lindy-ruff-dallas-stars-head-coach-john-tortorella

Dallas has not yet agreed to a contract with Ruff. They were impressed with Torts and want to give it some more thought. Could it be that MG gets forced to act sooner rather than later.

Sandman having fun with Aqualung?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby ESQ » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Boston Canucker wrote:
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant in the playoffs. AV's regular season teams were not the issue, it was the playoffs as we know (except for 2011). I didn't see Torts getting the most out of his big guys in the playoffs.

Ah, gotcha. He did get a solid performance in Richards' first season, though Gaborik always saw a dip. In general though first line forwards see a pretty big dip in the post-season, due to match-ups and improved defending over the course of a season. I don't know what happened with Richards getting 1 point in 10 games but that basically killed Torts. Tortorella's championship team was extremely top-heavy in production though, as he got stellar performances out of Richards, St Louis, and Modin, and very solid showings from Lecavalier, Andreychuk and Fedotenko - basically the top 6 clearly carried the load for that team.

(As an aside I think its awesome that when looking at old stats and box scores I can actually reference a championship season with Torts, instead of trying to identify the least disappointing season of AV's)

I will enjoy him snapping at Gallagher and Botch, won't mind that a bit.
Amen, brother!

I noticed Botchford's drivel getting tons of re-tweets from virtually every TSN reporter, so I suspect he may wind up there now that he's left the TEAM.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby CorranHorn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:11 am

Topper wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/6/20/4449420/lindy-ruff-dallas-stars-head-coach-john-tortorella

Sandman having fun with Aqualung?

Was thinking the same thing.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Postby Arachnid » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:09 am

Ruff Star, confirmed

http://www.tsn.ca

John T. hooker is set'n up shop as we speak... :crazy:
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby herb » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:15 am

Tippett has agreed to a five year contract extension with Phoenix, so he’s officially not an option.

Gillis met with Johnny T yesterday in Boston.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby 5thhorseman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:36 am

JT's gonna feel like the last kid picked in gym class.
5thhorseman
CC Veteran

Postby SKYO » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:38 am

herb wrote:Tippett has agreed to a five year contract extension with Phoenix, so he’s officially not an option.

Gillis met with Johnny T yesterday in Boston.

Eakins, Tippett, Ruff, AV all snapped up.

Basically just Torts and Stevens left, MG has to sign quick this time or some other team will try to snag em up. :o
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Boston Canucker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:27 am

Twitter world has what seem to be legit sources saying it's going to be Torts. One source even has him on a flight to Van. Good grief. I was for AV being let go, after two straight 1st round losses, but in this coaching trade, we lose! Here's hoping for the best from Coach Shotblock, yikesorama...hey Gallagher, prepare to meet your maker!!
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Antony » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:42 am

If this is true perhaps the best question is who will be first out the door: Torts or Gillis? Not to have an ideal replacement coach lined up when you fire the incumbent is bad management. Having to scrape the bottom of the barrel of what's left is no management at all. I can't think of a worse choice to coach a bunch of skilled veterans. Sharpen the knives.
Antony
CC Rookie

Postby SKYO » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:46 am

"Torts is the guy to squeeze blood from a stone. Won't be here long, but at the end of a team's window, he's the guy you want."
~viatwitter

:thumbs:
SKYO
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat