Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Coaches canned

Post by ESQ »

Boston Canucker wrote:I hope they go with Stevens, not Tortorella. Stevens' work with LA seems impressive, and he's coached at all levels, with many different types of players. My issue with Torts is not his personality, but that I actually don't think he gets the best out of his players, or if he does it is very short term, wears them out. I don't think he got the best out of Nash or Gaborik for eg., and NYR's pp and general offense was not the least bit impressive. I'm really not interested in us becoming team shotblock...no evidence this leads to Cups. I sense Stevens is the better choice, hope MG goes this way.
I disagree somewhat there, Gaborik did have his career best seasons under Torts, hitting 40 goals twice. Nash is a 60-70 point player, who puts in 30+ goals. Nash's first season under Torts had him at a 80 point pace (would have been a career year) and almost 40 goals.

I do agree that Nash and others took big steps back under Torts in the playoffs this year. On the one hand its troubling to see the players not respond at the critical time of year, on the other hand the NYR run this year was quite remarkable considering how little offensive production they got from their stars.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote:If they do hire Torts maybe the solution would be is to hire a superb offensive minded associate coach to handle those duties, with torts kicking butt when needed.

It'd be similar to hiring Stevens, with the assistant coaches being quite important as well, anyways I do hope the coach gets to pick and choose his associates.
Yeah, is there any talk about possible assistant coaches?

If it's Stevens coming in can I dream about him bringing Robinson with him from California? :look:

Next season is an option season for Robinson, dunno if it's team option/his option/or both.

http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/7/9/3147 ... iate-coach
Yeah well Strangster, let's not get ahead of ourselves shall we, Coach usually hires his assis...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote:Coach usually hires his assis...
Usually, but that hasn't always been controlfreak Gillis' way amirite?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The problem with the NYR was they gave up so much of their depth and role players to get the players they wanted and they had little to no cap to replace them with quality players. When Pit won they had a ton of role players and depth. Detroit has always had that. Chicago and Boston too. The Rangers however lost too much in going for home runs every time out. With no support your stars can only take you so far.

When we had our run in 2011 we had depth and good role players, especially before Manny got hurt.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Which assistant coaches did Torts have before? :o

"@News1130Sports
John Tortorella closer to being #Canucks new coach. Reports say he met yesterday with Mike Gillis in Boston. #NHL"
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:Which assistant coaches did Torts have before? :o
In New York it was Jim Schoenfeld and Mike Sullivan.

But they didn't get canned.

And Sullivan is the heir apparent to Slats so....

Not sure who his assistants in Tampa were.

But I'm sure a guy like Torts would love to choose his assistants.

I'm sure he would have quite a few in mind at this point.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Maybe Manny will be one although I hear he thinks he can still play and will try to get a contract come July 1, or whatever date it is this year.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Some folks out there are saying Bob McKenzie just tweeted that the Canucks have signed Tortorella?, then it he deleted it about 5 seconds later. Brace yourselves....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Awesome, I love this, if rumors are true. Torts will be entertaining on many levels. I wonder who the first local scribe will be whom he calls out and embarrasses? I love this signing, mainly cause I hate 90% of the local sports media. We've been needing someone like this for a while. Thumbs up Gillis. Torts is nuts.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/6/20/4 ... tortorella

Dallas has not yet agreed to a contract with Ruff. They were impressed with Torts and want to give it some more thought. Could it be that MG gets forced to act sooner rather than later.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

ESQ wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:I hope they go with Stevens, not Tortorella. Stevens' work with LA seems impressive, and he's coached at all levels, with many different types of players. My issue with Torts is not his personality, but that I actually don't think he gets the best out of his players, or if he does it is very short term, wears them out. I don't think he got the best out of Nash or Gaborik for eg., and NYR's pp and general offense was not the least bit impressive. I'm really not interested in us becoming team shotblock...no evidence this leads to Cups. I sense Stevens is the better choice, hope MG goes this way.
I disagree somewhat there, Gaborik did have his career best seasons under Torts, hitting 40 goals twice. Nash is a 60-70 point player, who puts in 30+ goals. Nash's first season under Torts had him at a 80 point pace (would have been a career year) and almost 40 goals.

I do agree that Nash and others took big steps back under Torts in the playoffs this year. On the one hand its troubling to see the players not respond at the critical time of year, on the other hand the NYR run this year was quite remarkable considering how little offensive production they got from their stars.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant in the playoffs. AV's regular season teams were not the issue, it was the playoffs as we know (except for 2011). I didn't see Torts getting the most out of his big guys in the playoffs. If it is Torts, I'll certainly hope for the best, and we'll likely see some a different type of approach for the Canucks on the ice...but as we know it's all about playoffs, and there, I don't know...I will enjoy him snapping at Gallagher and Botch, won't mind that a bit.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ah thanks SL!

And yeah MG probably doesn't want to lose Torts to the Stars.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote:

Hey I wonder what Craig Ramsay is doing these days. :mex:
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hocke ... 2F+Hockey)

And you also have to think that Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini wants to change the message and take players out of a comfort zone. He wants a butt-kicker, and if that’s the case, -Gillis will have to make sure somebody is wearing the white hat and patting players on the back.

That’s how it works in the NHL. Tortorella had Craig Ramsay as that kind of assistant in Tampa Bay when the Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2004.

“Torts is a very good coach who wears people thin,” said an NHL source. “He had no filter in New York and John needs a filter. Craig Ramsay was a great fit. There was all kinds of intensity coming from the bench in New York and no backdrop at all.”

Kind of like Vigneault and Rick Bowness in Vancouver. They may have had their differences behind the scenes, but always presented a united front. The search for the right associate coach for the Canucks could be as important as hiring the right head coach.

“We were like an old married couple,” Bowness said of Vigneault when the former Canucks associate accepted a three-year contract to have the same role with rookie head coach Jon Cooper in Tampa Bay.

“We’d yell and scream at each other behind the scenes and then we’d walk out and we’re one voice. It’s smooth and it works.”
Although I'd rather all the coaches are assholes.

Players too, assholes understand assholes and are not put off by assholes.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Hey I wonder what Craig Ramsay is doing these days. :mex:
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hocke ... 2F+Hockey)

And you also have to think that Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini wants to change the message and take players out of a comfort zone. He wants a butt-kicker, and if that’s the case, -Gillis will have to make sure somebody is wearing the white hat and patting players on the back.

That’s how it works in the NHL. Tortorella had Craig Ramsay as that kind of assistant in Tampa Bay when the Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2004.

“Torts is a very good coach who wears people thin,” said an NHL source. “He had no filter in New York and John needs a filter. Craig Ramsay was a great fit. There was all kinds of intensity coming from the bench in New York and no backdrop at all.”

Kind of like Vigneault and Rick Bowness in Vancouver. They may have had their differences behind the scenes, but always presented a united front. The search for the right associate coach for the Canucks could be as important as hiring the right head coach.

“We were like an old married couple,” Bowness said of Vigneault when the former Canucks associate accepted a three-year contract to have the same role with rookie head coach Jon Cooper in Tampa Bay.

“We’d yell and scream at each other behind the scenes and then we’d walk out and we’re one voice. It’s smooth and it works.”
Although I'd rather all the coaches are assholes.

Players too, assholes understand assholes and are not put off by assholes.
He'll be coaching Luo soon enough :|
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/6/20/4 ... tortorella

Dallas has not yet agreed to a contract with Ruff. They were impressed with Torts and want to give it some more thought. Could it be that MG gets forced to act sooner rather than later.
Sandman having fun with Aqualung?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.