Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
7%
Edler
25%
Booth
26%
Higgins
5%
Bieksa
9%
Ballard
26%
Hamhuis
1%
None of the above
1%

Total votes : 173

Re: Roster Questions

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:49 pm

Meds wrote:
I think they also said they would probably be taking things a year at a time. Daniel said after the World Championships that he really enjoyed playing on the big ice again and was no longer ruling out a return to the SEL before hanging up their professional skates for good. If that's the case then chances are they come back after next season and the longest Gillis will be able to convince them to sign for will be 2 years.

I would not be surprised if the Sedins pack it in early. The game is changing and certainly does not suit their cycle, lateral, back passing game. It's all north/south straight ahead, fight through checks. So not Sedin hockey. Not surprising they love the Big Ice European game, it's like no hitting, recreational hockey for the dipsey doodlers and cyclers.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:52 pm

RoyalDude wrote:The Sedins game is fading. They will be 33 at the start of next season.

Hmmm Datsyuk signed a 3 year contract extension today, he'll be 36 when it kicks in.

$7.5mil per.

But yeah, stick a fork in the twins. :roll:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The Sedins game is fading. They will be 33 at the start of next season.

Hmmm Datsyuk signed a 3 year contract extension today, he'll be 36 when it kicks in.

$7.5mil per.

You gotta admit that Datsyuk is performing far better than most players at 36. He is a truly exceptional player whose two-way game makes him one of the best players in the world, STILL.

But I don't like that contract if I'm a Wings fan. 2 years at 14 million sounds about right. Father time will catch up and probably soon.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:00 pm

Strangelove wrote:

$7.5mil per.

Datsyuk is a better player than the twins, come on Doc. The Sedins can't hack the new game.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:You gotta admit that Datsyuk is performing far better than most players at 36. He is a truly exceptional player whose two-way game makes him one of the best players in the world, STILL.

But I don't like that contract if I'm a Wings fan. 2 years at 14 million sounds about right. Father time will catch up and probably soon.

Point is it's a tad early to worry about the Sedins.

They've got a Cup in them if they're given some protection.

And they won't be demanding Datsyuk money.

We've got a coupla years to build a new number one line, Sedins + ASSHOLE becoming the 2nd line.

It's all good.

Contenders forever.
____
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Strangelove wrote:It's all good.

Contenders forever.

*high-fives Strangelove while shitting own pants*
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:13 pm

For me Doc, the Sedins and the playoffs don't mix. The playoffs is too tight checking, north/south, straight ahead, grind through checks after checks and get the puck to the the net and collapse. The Sedins are too perimeter for how the game is played in the playoffs now.
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:14 pm

I wonder if there is ANY trade market for Ballard. Like at all.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby tantalum » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:I wonder if there is ANY trade market for Ballard. Like at all.

In a world where Gonchar, Streit and Wideman (last year) get over $5 mil a year you have to think you can get some pucks for him.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:19 pm

RoyalDude wrote:For me Doc, the Sedins and the playoffs don't mix. The playoffs is too tight checking, north/south, straight ahead, grind through checks after checks and get the puck to the the net and collapse. The Sedins are too perimeter for how the game is played in the playoffs now.

All they need is assholes.

Lots and lots of assholes.

Surround the Sedins with assholes and they'd be a lot more comfortable.
____
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:I wonder if there is ANY trade market for Ballard. Like at all.

I believe so.

There's gonna be a shortage of top 4 dee available this summer.

I'd say he goes for a 7th round pick as a reclamation project and everybody's happy. :mex:
____
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:23 pm

Strangelove wrote:All they need is assholes.

Hammond Aigs just got wood.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:For me Doc, the Sedins and the playoffs don't mix. The playoffs is too tight checking, north/south, straight ahead, grind through checks after checks and get the puck to the the net and collapse. The Sedins are too perimeter for how the game is played in the playoffs now.

All they need is assholes.

Surround the Sedins with assholes and they'd be a lot more comfortable.

Well, I think this is a huge season for Kassian. It's pretty much put up time for Zack. No more wasted shifts, wasted games. He's got enough experience under his belt now. We need him. If he doesn't show up game in game out, then he is on his way to being the next Dustin Penner, Jim Sandlak type. Never quite getting there. All the tools no tool box.
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Eddy Punch Clock » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:33 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Well, I think this is a huge season for Kassian. It's pretty much put up time for Zack. No more wasted shifts, wasted games. He's got enough experience under his belt now. We need him. If he doesn't show up game in game out, then he is on his way to being the next Dustin Penner, Jim Sandlak type. Never quite getting there. All the tools no tool box.

Put him on the first line and keep him there until for at least two months.
2011..... the one that got away.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:34 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Well, I think this is a huge season for Kassian. It's pretty much put up time for Zack. No more wasted shifts, wasted games. He's got enough experience under his belt now. We need him. If he doesn't show up game in game out, then he is on his way to being the next Dustin Penner, Jim Sandlak type. Never quite getting there. All the tools no tool box.

Agreed that we need Kassian to have a breakout season.

He's only 22 though so it might be a tad early.

What we REALLY need is to bring in some more assholes through trades or as UFAs.

When you have two weenies in your top 6 (Sedins) and two agitators in your top 6 (Kess + Burr)

.... you NEED those other two top 6 guys to be assholes!

And of course, as we both know, our dee needs to become more assholish.

Gillis has TRIED to make this team more assholish... and failed.

This summer may very well be his last chance.
____
Strangelove
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat