Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
12
7%
Edler
44
25%
Booth
45
26%
Higgins
8
5%
Bieksa
15
9%
Ballard
45
26%
Hamhuis
2
1%
None of the above
2
1%
 
Total votes : 173

Re: Roster Questions

Postby ukcanuck » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Harrumph,
Like I said that decision will have to be made by this trade deadline because year after next they are UFA and walk for free. If we wait till 2014/15 their trade value is limited to rental status and second round picks.
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Roster Questions

Postby SKYO » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:So, do we re-sign the Sedins when their contracts expire... hmmmm.... let me think...

Image


You should have thought about that prior to this years draft then, because without them all we can hope for is to gun for the #1 overall draft pick.

If you let the Sedins walk, you'll probably have to wait another decade for this team to be a contender again. So unless you muchacho want this team to suck even further, you better hope MG does the right thing and re-sign the twins asap.

Without the Sedins, Ryan Kesler becomes our #1 center who is now often injured!!

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Schroeder - Jensen

Hansen - Lain - Kassian

Sestito - Guance - Weise

And Schroeder would then become our #1 center when RK17 gets injured again..LOL
User avatar
SKYO
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby herb » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Rummy, I think I know what you’re getting at.

We all held onto the dream with Naslund, Bertuzzi, Jovo and co. for way too long. Thing is, the Sedins are way better players than these three ever were. The only way I see trading or not re-signing the Sedins is if we are freaking awful next year, which is doubtful. I think we’ll be an above average team again, which makes dumping our franchise’s two best all time players pretty damn unlikely.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1689
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Per, the Sedins won't constitute the best second line in the NHL in a year's time. Chicago, Pittsburgh and a few other teams say hi. That said, your acknowledgment that letting them go might be the best option is refreshingly unbiased. You son of a bitch. :)

UK, if we are in contention at the deadline we aren't going to be flipping twins for picks. I have no problem letting them walk as UFAs if they aren't willing to take a pretty serious cut. They simply lack the intangibles to their game that make them effective when they aren't scoring... and they aren't scoring in the playoffs.

People really seem to undervalue cap space these days, and 12 million is a shitload of cap space to have heading into UFA season, especially with a rising ceiling.
Registered mammyrammer
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1926
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Torts' doghouse

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:26 pm

SKYO wrote: Skyo's rambling nonsense


WTF are you on about Skyo? We're talking about next season here. And why the hell would our lineup look like that if we didn't re-sign the Sedins. You think we wouldn't replace them and we'd run with a Schroeder-Jensen-Higgins second line?

Jesus.

Seriously bro, that lineup you just posted is absolutely fucking ridiculous. Not trying to be a dick. :lol:
Registered mammyrammer
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1926
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Torts' doghouse

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:39 pm

herb wrote: Thing is, the Sedins are way better players than these three ever were.


"Way better"? I think not, herb. Bertuzzi was a physical beast who scored 46 goals in 70-something games. Granted, he was only awesome for two seasons, but he was a force for those two seasons.

Naslund was an Art Ross, Hart and Rocket Richard contender for four consecutive seasons. He was twice the goal scorer Danny Sedin is and he was one choke-job LA game away from a Hart/AR/RR trophy sweep. He also put up decent playoff numbers despite being a shitty captain and a total softie (much like Henrik). I value a perennial 40-50 goal scorer more than a perennial 60-70 assist guy any day, and I'd say most GMs do as well.

The '10 and '11 Sedins were probably better than the '02 and '03 Naztuzzis, but not by much. Not by much at all.
Registered mammyrammer
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1926
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Torts' doghouse

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Offer the twins $4.5mil each (3 year deals) and threaten them with a good beating if they refuse. :drink:

Strangelove: The Peoples Poster
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 5924
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby herb » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:"Way better"? I think not, herb. Bertuzzi was a physical beast who scored 46 goals in 70-something games. Granted, he was only awesome for two seasons, but he was a force for those two seasons.

Naslund was an Art Ross, Hart and Rocket Richard contender for four consecutive seasons. He was twice the goal scorer Danny Sedin is and he was one choke-job LA game away from a Hart/AR/RR trophy sweep. He also put up decent playoff numbers despite being a shitty captain and a total softie (much like Henrik). I value a perennial 40-50 goal scorer more than a perennial 60-70 assist guy any day, and I'd say most GMs do as well.

The '10 and '11 Sedins were probably better than the '02 and '03 Naztuzzis, but not by much. Not by much at all.


Yeah I think they are better. Maybe “way better” is too much, but I do think the Sedins have been consistently better players than Naslund and Bertuzzi ever were.

Naslund was by far the best goal scorer out of the bunch, but overall the Sedins have been more consistent and are easily better playoff performers than those two every were, which is all that really matters at this point. Neither Naslund or Bertuzzi ever did jack shit in the playoffs, and not once did either of them put the team on their backs in the playoffs like the Sedins have. I know you think the twins are pansies, but more often than not they are our best players in the playoffs, which is not how I remember Naslund’s performances.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1689
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Strangelove wrote:Offer the twins $4.5mil each (3 year deals) and threaten them with a good beating if they refuse. :drink:


They won't be worth 4.5 in three or four seasons.

7 mill for two seasons, after this one. Hardball baby.
Registered mammyrammer
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1926
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Torts' doghouse

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:04 pm

herb wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:"Way better"? I think not, herb. Bertuzzi was a physical beast who scored 46 goals in 70-something games. Granted, he was only awesome for two seasons, but he was a force for those two seasons.

Naslund was an Art Ross, Hart and Rocket Richard contender for four consecutive seasons. He was twice the goal scorer Danny Sedin is and he was one choke-job LA game away from a Hart/AR/RR trophy sweep. He also put up decent playoff numbers despite being a shitty captain and a total softie (much like Henrik). I value a perennial 40-50 goal scorer more than a perennial 60-70 assist guy any day, and I'd say most GMs do as well.

The '10 and '11 Sedins were probably better than the '02 and '03 Naztuzzis, but not by much. Not by much at all.


Yeah I think they are better. Maybe “way better” is too much, but I do think the Sedins have been consistently better players than Naslund and Bertuzzi ever were.

Naslund was by far the best goal scorer out of the bunch, but overall the Sedins have been more consistent and are easily better playoff performers than those two every were, which is all that really matters at this point. Neither Naslund or Bertuzzi ever did jack shit in the playoffs, and not once did either of them put the team on their backs in the playoffs like the Sedins have. I know you think the twins are pansies, but more often than not they are our best players in the playoffs, which is not how I remember Naslund’s performances.


Bertuzzi was our best player against Detroit in '02. Granted, Bert's playoff numbers are pretty shitty but he did have some great moments like his hits in the St.Louis series.

Naslund was our best player against Calgary with 9 points in 7 games in '04. In '03 Naslund had 5 goals and 14 points in 14 games, during the lowest-scoring era in NHL history.

You guys like to harp on the Sedins having no secondary scoring as an excuse for their lack of production but Naslund and Bert had even less.

In comparison to the Sedins, I don't think they were quite as bad in the playoffs as you remember them. The twins have been better but "taking the team on their backs" is a bit of a stretch. That would suggest a really spectacular playoffs, something neither twin has ever had.
Registered mammyrammer
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1926
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Torts' doghouse

Re: Roster Questions

Postby herb » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:12 pm

Yeah, the Sedins have had better secondary help.

I do think Hank put the team on his back both times we played LA, and the twins have put up fantastic numbers every time we’ve played Chicago in the playoffs.

The Sedins aren’t done yet, so hopefully they have another long run in them before all is said and done.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1689
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Roster Questions

Postby SKYO » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Strangelove wrote:Offer the twins $4.5mil each (3 year deals) and threaten them with a good beating if they refuse. :drink:

:thumbs: I concur!
User avatar
SKYO
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Meds » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:43 pm

I think you wait and see what they are asking for. If they want to stay in Vancouver then they will let management know by not asking for the moon.

If they perform at even an 80 point pace this season then $4.5 is an insult considering what they've done for the franchise and the discount they gave the Canucks in their current contracts.

I think they also said they would probably be taking things a year at a time. Daniel said after the World Championships that he really enjoyed playing on the big ice again and was no longer ruling out a return to the SEL before hanging up their professional skates for good. If that's the case then chances are they come back after next season and the longest Gillis will be able to convince them to sign for will be 2 years.

If they want two more years and the Canucks don't appear to have any other options, the $5.5M-$5M for a cap hit of $5.25M is where I think we'll see the numbers fall.....which is really a pretty good deal for the team considering the cap is likely going to rise after next season and could be approaching $70M again by the time they are playing out the last year of such an extension.
User avatar
Meds
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:44 pm

SKYO wrote:
Without the Sedins, Ryan Kesler becomes our #1 center who is now often injured!!

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Schroeder - Jensen

Hansen - Lain - Kassian

Sestito - Guance - Weise

And Schroeder would then become our #1 center when RK17 gets injured again..LOL


LOL, you are comic relief SKYO. At least with that line-up we would be in the running for a top 5 draft pick positioning.

The Sedins game is fading. They will be 33 at the start of next season. We saw them drop out of the top 20 in scoring this season. We have at most 2 good seasons with them. After that this team will fall off the cliff into rebuild, bottom feeder mode cause there is nothing in the way of superstar talent in the system to replace them. Gillis broke the chain. It all started with the Linden Bure era, then torch was passed to the Naslund, Bertuzzi, Jovanovski era, then the torch was passed to the Sedin, Luongo, Burrows, Kesler, Edler, Bieksa era (in comes Gillis) and now the torch will be passed to....uh.....nobody. 5 DRAFT PICKS FOR GILLIS COMING ON 6 IN A COUPLE WEEKS AND NOTHING IN HIGH END TALENT TO SHOW FOR. Pathetic.
Last edited by RoyalDude on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3849
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Meds wrote: Daniel said after the World Championships that he really enjoyed playing on the big ice again and was no longer ruling out a return to the SEL before hanging up their professional skates for good.


Translation: Daniel really enjoyed not getting smashed around the ice in Europe where refs call penalties for body checks.
Registered mammyrammer
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1926
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Torts' doghouse

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest