Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
7%
Edler
25%
Booth
26%
Higgins
5%
Bieksa
9%
Ballard
26%
Hamhuis
1%
None of the above
1%

Total votes: 173

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Roster Questions

Post by Rumsfeld »

Per, the Sedins won't constitute the best second line in the NHL in a year's time. Chicago, Pittsburgh and a few other teams say hi. That said, your acknowledgment that letting them go might be the best option is refreshingly unbiased. You son of a bitch. :)

UK, if we are in contention at the deadline we aren't going to be flipping twins for picks. I have no problem letting them walk as UFAs if they aren't willing to take a pretty serious cut. They simply lack the intangibles to their game that make them effective when they aren't scoring... and they aren't scoring in the playoffs.

People really seem to undervalue cap space these days, and 12 million is a shitload of cap space to have heading into UFA season, especially with a rising ceiling.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

SKYO wrote: Skyo's rambling nonsense
WTF are you on about Skyo? We're talking about next season here. And why the hell would our lineup look like that if we didn't re-sign the Sedins. You think we wouldn't replace them and we'd run with a Schroeder-Jensen-Higgins second line?

Jesus.

Seriously bro, that lineup you just posted is absolutely fucking ridiculous. Not trying to be a dick. :lol:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

herb wrote: Thing is, the Sedins are way better players than these three ever were.
"Way better"? I think not, herb. Bertuzzi was a physical beast who scored 46 goals in 70-something games. Granted, he was only awesome for two seasons, but he was a force for those two seasons.

Naslund was an Art Ross, Hart and Rocket Richard contender for four consecutive seasons. He was twice the goal scorer Danny Sedin is and he was one choke-job LA game away from a Hart/AR/RR trophy sweep. He also put up decent playoff numbers despite being a shitty captain and a total softie (much like Henrik). I value a perennial 40-50 goal scorer more than a perennial 60-70 assist guy any day, and I'd say most GMs do as well.

The '10 and '11 Sedins were probably better than the '02 and '03 Naztuzzis, but not by much. Not by much at all.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Offer the twins $4.5mil each (3 year deals) and threaten them with a good beating if they refuse. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:"Way better"? I think not, herb. Bertuzzi was a physical beast who scored 46 goals in 70-something games. Granted, he was only awesome for two seasons, but he was a force for those two seasons.

Naslund was an Art Ross, Hart and Rocket Richard contender for four consecutive seasons. He was twice the goal scorer Danny Sedin is and he was one choke-job LA game away from a Hart/AR/RR trophy sweep. He also put up decent playoff numbers despite being a shitty captain and a total softie (much like Henrik). I value a perennial 40-50 goal scorer more than a perennial 60-70 assist guy any day, and I'd say most GMs do as well.

The '10 and '11 Sedins were probably better than the '02 and '03 Naztuzzis, but not by much. Not by much at all.
Yeah I think they are better. Maybe “way better” is too much, but I do think the Sedins have been consistently better players than Naslund and Bertuzzi ever were.

Naslund was by far the best goal scorer out of the bunch, but overall the Sedins have been more consistent and are easily better playoff performers than those two every were, which is all that really matters at this point. Neither Naslund or Bertuzzi ever did jack shit in the playoffs, and not once did either of them put the team on their backs in the playoffs like the Sedins have. I know you think the twins are pansies, but more often than not they are our best players in the playoffs, which is not how I remember Naslund’s performances.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:Offer the twins $4.5mil each (3 year deals) and threaten them with a good beating if they refuse. :drink:
They won't be worth 4.5 in three or four seasons.

7 mill for two seasons, after this one. Hardball baby.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

herb wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:"Way better"? I think not, herb. Bertuzzi was a physical beast who scored 46 goals in 70-something games. Granted, he was only awesome for two seasons, but he was a force for those two seasons.

Yeah I think they are better. Maybe “way better” is too much, but I do think the Sedins have been consistently better players than Naslund and Bertuzzi ever were.

Naslund was by far the best goal scorer out of the bunch, but overall the Sedins have been more consistent and are easily better playoff performers than those two every were, which is all that really matters at this point. Neither Naslund or Bertuzzi ever did jack shit in the playoffs, and not once did either of them put the team on their backs in the playoffs like the Sedins have. I know you think the twins are pansies, but more often than not they are our best players in the playoffs, which is not how I remember Naslund’s performances.
Bertuzzi was our best player against Detroit in '02. Granted, Bert's playoff numbers are pretty shitty but he did have some great moments like his hits in the St.Louis series.

Naslund was our best player against Calgary with 9 points in 7 games in '04. In '03 Naslund had 5 goals and 14 points in 14 games, during the lowest-scoring era in NHL history.

You guys like to harp on the Sedins having no secondary scoring as an excuse for their lack of production but Naslund and Bert had even less.

In comparison to the Sedins, I don't think they were quite as bad in the playoffs as you remember them. The twins have been better but "taking the team on their backs" is a bit of a stretch. That would suggest a really spectacular playoffs, something neither twin has ever had.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Yeah, the Sedins have had better secondary help.

I do think Hank put the team on his back both times we played LA, and the twins have put up fantastic numbers every time we’ve played Chicago in the playoffs.

The Sedins aren’t done yet, so hopefully they have another long run in them before all is said and done.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:Offer the twins $4.5mil each (3 year deals) and threaten them with a good beating if they refuse. :drink:
:thumbs: I concur!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I think you wait and see what they are asking for. If they want to stay in Vancouver then they will let management know by not asking for the moon.

If they perform at even an 80 point pace this season then $4.5 is an insult considering what they've done for the franchise and the discount they gave the Canucks in their current contracts.

I think they also said they would probably be taking things a year at a time. Daniel said after the World Championships that he really enjoyed playing on the big ice again and was no longer ruling out a return to the SEL before hanging up their professional skates for good. If that's the case then chances are they come back after next season and the longest Gillis will be able to convince them to sign for will be 2 years.

If they want two more years and the Canucks don't appear to have any other options, the $5.5M-$5M for a cap hit of $5.25M is where I think we'll see the numbers fall.....which is really a pretty good deal for the team considering the cap is likely going to rise after next season and could be approaching $70M again by the time they are playing out the last year of such an extension.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:
Without the Sedins, Ryan Kesler becomes our #1 center who is now often injured!!

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Schroeder - Jensen

Hansen - Lain - Kassian

Sestito - Guance - Weise

And Schroeder would then become our #1 center when RK17 gets injured again..LOL
LOL, you are comic relief SKYO. At least with that line-up we would be in the running for a top 5 draft pick positioning.

The Sedins game is fading. They will be 33 at the start of next season. We saw them drop out of the top 20 in scoring this season. We have at most 2 good seasons with them. After that this team will fall off the cliff into rebuild, bottom feeder mode cause there is nothing in the way of superstar talent in the system to replace them. Gillis broke the chain. It all started with the Linden Bure era, then torch was passed to the Naslund, Bertuzzi, Jovanovski era, then the torch was passed to the Sedin, Luongo, Burrows, Kesler, Edler, Bieksa era (in comes Gillis) and now the torch will be passed to....uh.....nobody. 5 DRAFT PICKS FOR GILLIS COMING ON 6 IN A COUPLE WEEKS AND NOTHING IN HIGH END TALENT TO SHOW FOR. Pathetic.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mëds wrote: Daniel said after the World Championships that he really enjoyed playing on the big ice again and was no longer ruling out a return to the SEL before hanging up their professional skates for good.
Translation: Daniel really enjoyed not getting smashed around the ice in Europe where refs call penalties for body checks.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:
I think they also said they would probably be taking things a year at a time. Daniel said after the World Championships that he really enjoyed playing on the big ice again and was no longer ruling out a return to the SEL before hanging up their professional skates for good. If that's the case then chances are they come back after next season and the longest Gillis will be able to convince them to sign for will be 2 years.
I would not be surprised if the Sedins pack it in early. The game is changing and certainly does not suit their cycle, lateral, back passing game. It's all north/south straight ahead, fight through checks. So not Sedin hockey. Not surprising they love the Big Ice European game, it's like no hitting, recreational hockey for the dipsey doodlers and cyclers.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: The Sedins game is fading. They will be 33 at the start of next season.
Hmmm Datsyuk signed a 3 year contract extension today, he'll be 36 when it kicks in.

$7.5mil per.

But yeah, stick a fork in the twins. :roll:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: The Sedins game is fading. They will be 33 at the start of next season.
Hmmm Datsyuk signed a 3 year contract extension today, he'll be 36 when it kicks in.

$7.5mil per.

But yeah, stick a fork in the twins. :roll:
You gotta admit that Datsyuk is performing far better than most players at 36. He is a truly exceptional player whose two-way game makes him one of the best players in the world, STILL.

But I don't like that contract if I'm a Wings fan. 2 years at 14 million sounds about right. Father time will catch up and probably soon.