Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Coaches canned

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote: No need to be overly-sensitive about rude posters, but there also no need to be rude.
Like omg Mondi, you're BOTH!! :crazy:

:mrgreen:

It seems unreal to me that Gillis gives Torts two interviews.

Either Gillis is gutsier than I thought... or Aquaman is pressuring him.

Personally I'm going with the latter for the time being....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:Happy for AV that he got that big deal. Doesn't mean he will last 5 years but he at least has a contract for 5 years. Good on him.
I can hear him giggling from here.

The Rags deserve him amirite? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

SKYO wrote:Been reported that Dallas had the same offer, guess AV wanted to be far away from his old team...and Fiddler.
He needed a goalie.

Lundqvist has put up better numbers than Lehtonen in his career.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hiring Tortorella would certainly be more of a “bold move” than going with Stevens.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote:Hiring Tortorella would certainly be more of a “bold move” than going with Stevens.
Yep.

Anyone hear anything about Boucher's chances?
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

vic wrote: Has any player who played under Torts demanded a trade? Serious question, I don't know the answer...
I was reading another commenter talking about Gaborik demanding a trade, he was presuming it was due to Torts (and from his treatment in 24/7 that's not surprising).

What's really odd is Gabby getting traded for perhaps less than Sather would have gotten in the off-season, but Sather firing the coach that was the problem a few months after the trade :shock:

Which again leads me to give Torts the benefit of the doubt for the results he got with a shitty (or at least over-rated) team working under the worst GM in the league.
There may be some members of the Vancouver Sports Media who want out, but that would be a welcomed change.
This is the biggest upside for me. I'd love to see how long Gallagher lasts with his little unsubstantiated snipes and armchair coaching in the paper.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

vic wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote: I think the biggest threat of Torts coming in would bethat certain players might tune him out and demand a trade..
Has any player who played under Torts demanded a trade? Serious question, I don't know the answer...
If that's happening 2-3 years from now, you have an issue, and this is where Torts' shelf life comes into question. If that's happening 2-3 weeks into the season, I don't want that player on the Canuck roster.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

ESQ wrote:
vic wrote: Has any player who played under Torts demanded a trade? Serious question, I don't know the answer...
I was reading another commenter talking about Gaborik demanding a trade, he was presuming it was due to Torts (and from his treatment in 24/7 that's not surprising).

What's really odd is Gabby getting traded for perhaps less than Sather would have gotten in the off-season, but Sather firing the coach that was the problem a few months after the trade :shock:

Which again leads me to give Torts the benefit of the doubt for the results he got with a shitty (or at least over-rated) team working under the worst GM in the league.
There may be some members of the Vancouver Sports Media who want out, but that would be a welcomed change.
This is the biggest upside for me. I'd love to see how long Gallagher lasts with his little unsubstantiated snipes and armchair coaching in the paper.
Not just Tony G - I would love to hear him rip Botchford, Sekeres, Price, and McDonald a new one...

Throw Willis and McIntyer (sp?) into the mix too....
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Can we get this thread back on the topic of coaches being canned.

There have been complaints.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Sharing one of Friedmann's latest:
Former Rangers head coach John Tortorella is going to Vancouver this week for a second interview. Information about his first one is not exactly flowing across the atmosphere, but it sounds like a lot of time was spent discussing media interaction. The Canucks don't want daily craziness and Tortorella apparently understands he will have to be different. Vancouver is the hardest English market in the NHL. There is no doubt the man can coach, but Gillis' toughest decision may be whether or not he truly believes Tortorella can handle it.
Looks like Gillis and crew have the obvious concern, but the fact they talked so much about the media issue and are bringing him back says to me they like a lot of what he brings. I wonder if Tortorella's convinced them he can tone down the yell and scream act? I'd like to know if there's a bone of positive reinforcement in his body.

I had to laugh at Friedmann's assertion about the Vancouver media market being the hardest in the league. How is that, when you have the T.O. media jackals? I like his qualifier about it being English-speaking because no market holds a candle to the Montreal media in terms of viciousness and invasiveness.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Trust me it will not take long for Torts to go ape shit with the fucking scribes here who are a bunch of whiney little babies.

I predict the first three to get their panties in a bunch from Torts condescending bitch slapping of the media at post game press conferences will be Gallagher, Sekeras and Botchford. The honeymoon will not last long as the Canucks will continue to struggle as this team is on the slow decent to mediocrity with no superstar talent coming up through the ranks to replace the aging superstars of this team, ie The Sedins.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Lancer wrote:Sharing one of Friedmann's latest:
Former Rangers head coach John Tortorella is going to Vancouver this week for a second interview. Information about his first one is not exactly flowing across the atmosphere, but it sounds like a lot of time was spent discussing media interaction. The Canucks don't want daily craziness and Tortorella apparently understands he will have to be different. Vancouver is the hardest English market in the NHL. There is no doubt the man can coach, but Gillis' toughest decision may be whether or not he truly believes Tortorella can handle it.
Looks like Gillis and crew have the obvious concern, but the fact they talked so much about the media issue and are bringing him back says to me they like a lot of what he brings. I wonder if Tortorella's convinced them he can tone down the yell and scream act? I'd like to know if there's a bone of positive reinforcement in his body.

I had to laugh at Friedmann's assertion about the Vancouver media market being the hardest in the league. How is that, when you have the T.O. media jackals? I like his qualifier about it being English-speaking because no market holds a candle to the Montreal media in terms of viciousness and invasiveness.
The Vancouver media market is way way harder than TO. In TO, it's primarily sycophant/chearleaders (I'm not saying those don't exist in Van, but not in near the same proportion). The TO media market, in terms of criticism, is actually pretty tame, and nothing compared to Vancouver. A good part of this is just expectations. In Van, it's Cup contend or nothing. This ain't the 1980s when we were thrilled with the last playoff spot...in TO, they're coming in their shorts over the first playoff spot in 9 years...TO is a breeze next to Van.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Torts get the job I will never doubt my friend again!
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Bell and Rogers own the team in TO and employ Dregar
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

RoyalDude wrote:Trust me it will not take long for Torts to go ape shit with the fucking scribes here who are a bunch of whiney little babies.

I predict the first three to get their panties in a bunch from Torts condescending bitch slapping of the media at post game press conferences will be Gallagher, Sekeras and Botchford. The honeymoon will not last long as the Canucks will continue to struggle as this team is on the slow decent to mediocrity with no superstar talent coming up through the ranks to replace the aging superstars of this team, ie The Sedins.
The hockey media here are a bunch of whiny little babies aren't they.

Interesting ob-ster-vation Dude.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society