Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: We have Luongo for sure, plus Booth, Ballard and maybe Burrows to possibly trade if need be for a 3rd line center and a #4 RIGHT side dman.

Well, I can tell you right now Skyo, it ain't rocket science - Out of that group Burrows is the only one that will fetch ya something decent in return. Booth and Ballard? LMAO! We are stuck with them unless some team can give us like a 7th or 8th round pick for them, willing to take on their contracts with two more seasons left on them. I think it's clear to everyone now that Gillis will take anything for Luongo, pucks, beer money just as long as he doesn't have to take a contract back or help cover a portion of his contract with the other team who takes him. At 34 and that contract and where his game is at, which isn't elite level, it's gonna be hard for Mikey to find a dancing partner.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

sagebrush wrote:^^^
The right side D has been an issue for years. Corrado brings hope, but he's not ready to take on top fwd lines, & Tanev has struggled against the same.
So Corrado playing in the playoffs for us against the Sharks and the fact that Gillis will have no choice but to start going the cheaper route by bringing the kids in the system earlier than usual. Look, the Gillis regime is notorious at cooking the kids in the minors, even Gillis says, it's time to start throwing these kids to the fire, live through their mistakes otherwise we will never ever see them up here. Corrado IMO is probably the most ready, him and Schroeder.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

vic wrote: Kind of how you'll be howling how Gillis should be fired for not trading Edler for help in the top 6 when he had a chance.
vic, you must be from the front of the bus with the rest of the retards...I have been completely against trading Edler, but I wouldn't expect that to register with you at all....go back to the front of the bus Mr. Special Needs, it's where you belong.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

sagebrush wrote:For the most part, I like Tanev's game, but there were times late in the season, against the big, top lines where he wore down & lost confidence. Playoff hockey requires the ability to stand up to this.

Otherwise, his positioning & composure tends to be good (after getting over a rough start last season). There were times when watching Tanev provided pure comedy. Not his play, but the expression on his face when playing with Ballard, & Ballard drifted out of position.
Sage, you need to go back to the video room and scout Tanev, the kid played quite well and at times was our most steady defenseman. His ability to take a hit and not panic under pressure and move the puck out of danger with speed and pin pointed passing is is quite excellent IMO. The kid has made the grade. He's the least of our worries on the back end.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:
vic wrote: Kind of how you'll be howling how Gillis should be fired for not trading Edler for help in the top 6 when he had a chance.
vic, you must be from the front of the bus with the rest of the retards...I have been completely against trading Edler, but I wouldn't expect that to register with you at all....go back to the front of the bus Mr. Special Needs, it's where you belong.
Really, Dude? Really?

Do we need more ad-hominem attacks?

Why don't you just attack his argument instead? :|
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Lancer wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Really, Dude? Really?

Do we need more ad-hominem attacks?

Why don't you just attack his argument instead? :|
Stay on topic pimple or I will report you!

DON"T TRADE ALEX! He's the youngest good D we got :?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think most people are saying the same thing really. No one is talking about trading Edler because he is bad, only the opposite and only if the return is a home run. For the most part I think we all agree he is a good top 4 and should only be moved in a hockey trade that is something we can't turn down, otherwise the hole he leaves is too big to fill within.

So much will hinge on getting Luongo outta here and possible moving Ballard or buying him out. From the looks of it Booth will be on the team next season. So loosing Booth and Luongo a long with some of the FA we won't be brining back we should be fine, assuming MG fills the few holes we have and our youngster take on some meaningful roles.
The only HW the Canucks need
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hockey Widow wrote: So much will hinge on getting Luongo outta here and possible moving Ballard or buying him out. From the looks of it Booth will be on the team next season. So loosing Booth and Luongo a long with some of the FA we won't be brining back we should be fine, assuming MG fills the few holes we have and our youngster take on some meaningful roles.
I'm a little surprised you continue to suggest this, HW. Has Gillis not already stated publicly that he will not exercise the buy-out options this summer?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: So much will hinge on getting Luongo outta here and possible moving Ballard or buying him out. From the looks of it Booth will be on the team next season. So loosing Booth and Luongo a long with some of the FA we won't be brining back we should be fine, assuming MG fills the few holes we have and our youngster take on some meaningful roles.
I'm a little surprised you continue to suggest this, HW. Has Gillis not already stated publicly that he will not exercise the buy-out options this summer?

I don't think MG has said that has he? Like others I have heard that the water boy is not a fan of the idea, these buy outs, but I don't think MG has ruled it out and I don't know if he has been told to rule it out or not. Only that the water boy is not a fan of the idea.

I think he has some pressure on him to avoid the buyouts and I think he may go to great lengths to do so but I don't know if that option has been removed from him. But then I would guess most other GM's, other than the Flyers it appears, are in the same position. Not many owners are going to want to spend the coin to do these buy outs but we'll see.

Oh and Montreal and NYR already have one buy out from last season.

Has MG said he has ruled these out? I thought he said all options are on the table. Or are you poking fun at me? :oops: :oops:
The only HW the Canucks need
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Not poking fun HW. I can't recall if it was an interview on the TEAM a few weeks ago, or the end of season meeting with the media, but I'm almost certain Gillis stated it was not an option.

I don't have the time to look it up, but I'm sure if its true, someone else heard it as well.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

BladesofSteel wrote:Not poking fun HW. I can't recall if it was an interview on the TEAM a few weeks ago, or the end of season meeting with the media, but I'm almost certain Gillis stated it was not an option.

I don't have the time to look it up, but I'm sure if its true, someone else heard it as well.
The only thing I vaguely remember him saying on the topic of buyouts is that Booth wouldn't be bought out because he'll still be injured when that window of opportunity arises.

I think if he had closed the door completely on buyouts it would be more common knowledge and we wouldn't be questioning it.
2011..... the one that got away.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I know I heard it with my own ears. But if it is something the 'media' chose to disregard, than there will obviously be no discussion about it.

:roll:
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

RoyalDude wrote:I have been completely against trading Edler
You're right, you were hoping Gillis let him walk for nothing so your bashing could continue...

PAGE 1 of this thread...
RoyalDude wrote:All I know is this, regarding who Gillis should trade. I have zero faith in this guy when it comes to trading. He is a players agent at heart, he overvalues players and from that gives them ridiculous contracts (Edler and Luongo)
So you are against trading a player with a ridiculous contract...Gillis should go out and sign a full roster with ridiculous contracts and you'll be a happy camper, right?

GFY
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I thought I was good at putting my foot in my mouth, but RD is deepthroating his knee right now!
vic wrote:So you are against trading a player with a ridiculous contract...Gillis should go out and sign a full roster with ridiculous contracts and you'll be a happy camper, right?
GFY

:o
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: So much will hinge on getting Luongo outta here and possible moving Ballard or buying him out.
It's hilarious that Canuck fans everywhere are running with this bullshit as though it were gospel.

NO, Gillis did NOT state that (publicly or otherwise).

Gary Mason of The Globe and Mail started this C R A P when he stated 3 weeks ago on TEAM 1040:

"buyouts are a non-starter for Francesco Aquilini".

And based upon that little nugget of poo, Canucks nation is all like:

"ewww newww Canucks will never buyout a contract like evah!!!"

... even though a few days later Botchford stated here

"Heard a report on TEAM 1040 this week that buyouts are a non-starter for the Aquilinis. I can tell you this is not the understanding of management. Not sure where the miscommunication is."

Iain MacIntyre also stated a few days ago (Canucks Army) that Gillis is authorized for buyouts.

And yet all I hear from Canucks fans everywhere is that THERE WILL BE NO BUYOUTS PERIOD. :roll:

I think the problem boils down to social networking combined with the old adage:

"If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth."

See, whatever poop runs outta Gary Mason tends to "trend on twitter" (or whatever).

How about folks start thinking for themselves again just like once upon a time?

THINK

The new "Compliance Buyout" option - 2 per team - is a golden opportunity to spend over the cap

(by getting rid of bad contracts.... by taking top prospects + bad-contracts-to-buyout from poorer teams).

Every rich team WILL do it.

This used to be known as "common sense".

This is NOT "rocket science".

Aquaman has proven a few times in the past that he is willing to pay million$ over the cap to give his team an edge.

Luongo's "cap circumvention" contract is an example of that.

Another example is when he was good with acquiring Ehrhoff at the price of taking Lukowich's $1.8mil contract.

Then there was taking on Reinprecht's $2.2mil contract in order to land Booth + 3rd round pick.

Both of those players were designated to play almost exclusively in the AHL with NHL salaries.

Also, he has given numerous players one-way NHL salaries to play in the AHL, serving as depth...

Yes, my dear BoS, Aquaman would be more than willing to bring in a top prospect at the price of a buyout contract.

It will pay off for him in the long run.
____
Try to focus on someday.