Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Coaches canned

Post by Vader »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Wouldn't it be funny if the biggest move both the Canucks and the Rangers make this off season is to simply switch coaches and neither team ends up making the playoffs?
yeah.

That'd be hilarious.

Wouldn't be able to stop laughing.

:look:
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Masochist's R not us. :scowl:
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

So, sounds like either Tortorella or Stevens will be the next Canucks head coach. I have no idea who I would prefer. Neither has the kind of pedigree or track record that says they’re no brainer hires.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

To swing for the fences or take a more measured, patient approach.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Not so sure I am against torts coming here for a year.... Kinda like 'iron mike pt2'.

Keenan came in and totally changes the outlook/attitude of the dressing room. He made this a hard working team (with no talent and leadership) but laid the foundation to make this a team that could compete for the next 12 years...

Torts would come in with a team that already has some talent, and if he could install the 'never give up play 60 minutes' style, I would be ok with that, so long as everyone realizes that torts has an expiry date...

I think the biggest threat of Torts coming in would bethat certain players might tune him out and demand a trade.. A team implosion from a arrogant/ crappy coach could set us back 12 years, or he could be the right motivation to focus this team to compete for 60min.... Tough call for any of us to make on this side of the screen

Ether way, Torts would make media scrubs WAY more entertaining for the next 18 months :D
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

herb wrote:So, sounds like either Tortorella or Stevens will be the next Canucks head coach. I have no idea who I would prefer. Neither has the kind of pedigree or track record that says they’re no brainer hires.
While I've thought Torts was a joke during his time in NY, I'm more and more coming around to him being my top choice.

I strongly believe that a simple coaching change can make a big impact without major personnel changes. Therrien-to-Bylsma being the best example, but as I stated above every Cup-winning coach since the 1970s spent less than 4 years with their team before winning the Cup.

If you accept that major roster changes won't be made (due to cap problems and an extremely weak FA market), and that coaching changes to the locker room culture can put a team over the top, then Torts is the best short-term solution. He obviously has a shelf-life with players, and his caustic approach might be what this group of players needs to shake them out of the overly-casual style.

The gamble with Torts is whether he can get better performances out of the 2nd line wingers (whoever they may be), Bieksa, and Edler. If those guys don't respond, tune him out and end up riding the pine a lot of nights I think we're screwed. I expect a career year out of Hamhuis, who will be the biggest beneficiary of double-shifts when one of the d-men get benched for a brain fart. Kesler is also Torts' kind of player and could do extremely well.

Also in Torts defence, however much the Rangers were spending each year they've been a shitty team riding a hot goalie for the past decade. Sather has been decent at the draft, but his need for The Big Deal has killed his team. And at the end of the day, he's one of the only available coaches who has a Cup ring.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Guess the Rangers are worried AV is not enough of an asshole; it seems they're about to hire Ulf Samuelsson as assistant coach. :lol:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Madcombinepilot wrote: I think the biggest threat of Torts coming in would bethat certain players might tune him out and demand a trade..
Has any player who played under Torts demanded a trade? Serious question, I don't know the answer...

There may be some members of the Vancouver Sports Media who want out, but that would be a welcomed change.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

^^
It also may lend credence to the report by Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman that goalie Henrik Lundqvist‘s noncommittal response to a question about re-signing in New York was a factor in Tortorella’s firing.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Wouldn't it be funny if the biggest move both the Canucks and the Rangers make this off season is to simply switch coaches and neither team ends up making the playoffs?
Or...meet in the Stanley Cup Finals!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

sagebrush wrote:^^
It also may lend credence to the report by Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman that goalie Henrik Lundqvist‘s noncommittal response to a question about re-signing in New York was a factor in Tortorella’s firing.
Heh, Sean Avery, you little shit, still an NHL fucktard after retiring.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Alain Vigneault given a 5-year 10 million dollar deal to be the new head coach of the New York #Rangers
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

No wonder AV told the Stars he was no longer interested in entertaining that opening!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Been reported that Dallas had the same offer, guess AV wanted to be far away from his old team...and Fiddler.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Happy for AV that he got that big deal. Doesn't mean he will last 5 years but he at least has a contract for 5 years. Good on him.
The only HW the Canucks need