Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Post by Zamboni Driver »

tantalum wrote:Let me explain....

it was a good deal because he was a center with a decent pedigree playing at a good level and they needed a center.
See, that's the problem right there, the deadline deal isn't supposed to be fixing the huge holes in your team, it's supposed to provide playoff depth for an already complete team. Trying to integrate a key player with a dozen games left isn't enough time.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

RoyalDude wrote: The whole Roy trade is just another indication for me that Gillis does not have his finger on the pulse of this team.
I know we needed another centre, but trading for a centre who is the same bloody size as fellow centre here Schroeder whom I bet would have shown a lot better than Roy did in the playoffs.
I don't think the Roy trade indicates anything other than the team needed center depth and Roy was the best available for the price Gillis was willing to pay. No matter how you look at it, Roy was a depth acquisition and as it turned out that was all it was.

The Roy deal just made sense and was an easy one to make. Kesler's health was a question mark at the time and he really wasn't at his best when the playoffs started. If Kesler wasn't ready to go, you were looking at maybe Raymond playing center or Ebbett centering a line. Schroeder, as it turns out, wasn't healthy when playoffs came around. I can't think of any big centers that got moved except for Handzus.

So no, I don't think trading for Roy was an indication that Gillis doesn't have his finger on the pulse of the team. Gillis' failure comes from his inability to bolster the forward corps in the offseason. Remember Gillis did go after Shane Doan. Good or bad signing nonwithstanding, Doan could have been a difference maker here and Luongo to Toronto would have likely netted Bozak in return. So ya, I think Gillis had the right idea on what the team needed, he just failed in getting it.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
tantalum wrote:Let me explain....

it was a good deal because he was a center with a decent pedigree playing at a good level and they needed a center.
See, that's the problem right there, the deadline deal isn't supposed to be fixing the huge holes in your team, it's supposed to provide playoff depth for an already complete team. Trying to integrate a key player with a dozen games left isn't enough time.
Yes and no. A big time deal involving prime assets absolutely you need to be sure it's a "put you over the top" type of deal. But for middling assets like a late second round pick and D-man getting buried in the depth chart I will never mind the move. Especially if there is a chance that if things work out and that player ends up sticking around (like other Gillis deadline moves for pending UFAs). This one didn't work out, no doubt. But it doesn't make it a "bad" move IMO.

Other players seem to be integrated fine in a dozen games (Higgins and Lapierre for instance). For some it isn't enough time.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

They key at the time of the Roy deal was that Kesler wasn't healthy, and centre ice had been an absolute black hole for this team all year.

The fact that the team as a whole imploded in the playoffs isn't an indictment of Roy. He was a rental, we all knew he was only a rental, and we didn't give up much to get him. Let's move on.

I think Jordan Schroeder is the least of our worries. I think he acquitted himself quite well this season, and is back on track developmental wise after some less than encouraging play at the AHL level.

With the Wolves this year, he was on a 22 goal, 60 point (over 76 games) pace, after scoring 21 goals last year. If anything, his play with the Canucks was encouraging.

This team's biggest concern is finding a borderline superstar winger to play with Ryan Kesler. This is what this team really needs. No more bargain bin Taylor Pyatt, Steve Bernier, David Booth or prospects like Kassian. This team needs a James Neal or Jamie Benn. Now that is not an easy task for Gillis.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

He might not have been the best fit for what we needed (re size and strength) but as many people have said the deadline is the worst time to fill holes on your team.

We needed a center and he was probably the best one available.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Move Kesler to the third line, re-sign Roy for 5 mill a year, put Schroeder on his wing with Higgins.

It's not like we're gonna win anything this year anyway. Watch Royaldude have a stroke and wait for the #1 overall pick in '14.

Win/win.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Forgot we still have his rights!

seen on hf someone suggesting we trade Roy's rights, wonder if anyone would even offer a 7th rounder for him lol.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The problem wasn't getting Roy. The problem started when Manny hurt his eye and MG felt that he was never going to recover and had 1.5 years to deal with it. The problem was when Kesler had double off season surgery and MG knew he wouldn't be ready until late in the year and had the off season, before the lockout, to deal with it.

The problem was coming out of the lock out with two centres, Hank and Lappy. The problem was hoping that by committee we could fill the centre lines needs until Kesler got back. By that time we sat Manny and everyone knew our desperation.

The problem was MG wanted a home run for Luongo, most of us did, most of us felt the same way MG did in that Luongo was tradable and could get us a good return. Hind sight is 20-20 but if he could do it again knowing what he knows now I bet he lets Luongo go for a trade involving a 2nd or 3rd line centre and a pick of prospect, oh a a back up goalie.

We all wanted the world for Luongo but where MG failed is that he is not a fan he is the GM and should have traded Luongo to fill positional needs. The fact that he was desperate for a centre at the deadline day was the problem. It is not the time to fill positional needs but the time to either sell off and re-tool or a time to create depth on an already strong team. I supported the Roy deal because I was desperate to see another centre on this team. But I'm not the GM.
The only HW the Canucks need