Coaches canned

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Coaches canned

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:We also need players that can change their style of play.

Sedins are too predictable and need to mix their game up a little.
I don't know how much they can do that. The twins are good stickhandlers and fantastic passers but when you can't skate, hit or shoot the puck with velocity, there's only so much you can do to vary your attack.

The problem with the twins' game is that once they lose the puck they very rarely get it back... and in the playoffs it's harder to maintain possession for extended periods in the corners. There is little question at this point that teams have figured out how to take the cycle away and the Sedins need to be more willing to crash the crease.
Quite the opposite, they are actually pretty good at being in the right spots at least 40-45% of the time to steal the puck back.

The is no problem with the Sedins game, the team is in obvious dire need to get at least one more line to score!

Kesler needs help, in more ways than one, as he's always injured he needs to tone it down with his rambunctious play otherwise his career will be short!
He definitely needs a cheaper Parise type player to play with.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

SKYO wrote:Quite the opposite, they are actually pretty good at being in the right spots at least 40-45% of the time to steal the puck back.

The is no problem with the Sedins game, the team is in obvious dire need to get at least one more line to score!
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:
SKYO wrote: The is no problem with the Sedins game, the team is in obvious dire need to get at least one more line to score!
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Careful With That Axe, Eugene.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
nuckster wrote: I rarely enjoy reading Arachnid's posts.
Rarely? I wish I could say 'rarely' cause I never like reading his posts period! Every time I come across his posts I mutter the same thing under my breath "this cat has issues that he ain't dealing with". He's out of sync.

I like Riksters postings, always have. It's just so Arachnid to be an uncalled for asshole to a decent poster.
that's high praise coming from you BD! :mrgreen: farts use to say the same thing about me, I was insignificant
UMMMM EXCUSE ME, the THINKSTER referred to YOU as a NON-FACTOR (allegedly).

If you would take it upon yourself to remember that word it would be much appreciated muchacho. :mex:

BTW it would be RICKDONKULOUS if a NON-FACTOR such as yourself chased away SUPERIOR POSTER Tricky Ricky.

THINK ABOUT IT

Sincerely,

THE PEOPLES POSTER
____
Try to focus on someday.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Strangelove wrote:THE PEOPLES POSTER
Curious, do you prefer Strangester or Lovester?

Docster?
2011..... the one that got away.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:

Docster?
UMMM yours truly is the Edgar Allan POSTER of your Vancouver Canuck message boards.

And no, yours truly did NOT say POSER.

However YOU Mr Clock can call yours truly SIRSTER.

And no, yours truly did NOT say SISTER (as in the Don DOCkSTeadER Allstars alleged nickname).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Strangelove wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:

Docster?
UMMM yours truly is the Edgar Allan POSTER of your Vancouver Canuck message boards.

And no, yours truly did NOT say SISTER (as in the Don DOCkSTeadER Allstars alleged nickname).
Thank you sirster. May I have another?
2011..... the one that got away.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:

Docster?

Thank you sirster. May I have another?
I can't believe we found the thug who gooned sThinkster away...take care my arse, how can you feel good about killing Artie, he was one of a kind, he was...smarter than the usual bear....he was....wonderbar.....I miss his hockey discourse and calm cool intelligent demeanour....and now he's dead...dead by Dick :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Arachnid wrote: I can't believe we found the thug who gooned sThinkster away...take care my arse, how can you feel good about killing Artie, he was one of a kind, he was...smarter than the usual bear....he was....wonderbar.....I miss his hockey discourse
Let me correct you on a couple of things...

This site had never been as large a community or as active a community as CC was...But it did something that CC stopped or couldn't do, and that was it just talked hockey in a manner that was inviting for all fans, whether they are timid or aggressive in nature....

Being one of its first members, I was happy to oblige when Brian asked if I would get the word out to other posters at other boards and invite them over...

In 2004 during the lockout, I was approached by the poster known as "Piston" who was the Kings fan who had been given access to the teams financials who asked if I would be into setting up a debate to discuss both sides of the lockout, and Brian and I arranged to have Tom Benjamin and Piston square off in a debate on the boards....

I thought it was quite the compliment to Brian that his site was chosen by this well known Kings fan to host a debate...

I've decided to refer to you and those like you who act like bullies on this site as the rat pack in honour of the moderator who goes by the handle rats19...Seems to me this rats19 moderator is like the NHL officials in the playoffs, they put their whistles away which is another way of saying they ain't doing anything so why do we need them?...

The rat pack doesn't understand that a discussion or debate is between to two sides who don't agree on the topic and that it is those differences in opinion which is interesting to read and participate in....

In my opinion, the wider the gap between each sides opening opinion is, the better the chance for a great debate....

In the case of Piston and Tom Benjamin, the differences in opinions was 180 degrees wide...And it never closed which is ok too...

In those early days, Brian would pin what he called "epic debates" which were posts which turned into massive debates and were deemed to hall of fame type debates....I took it as challenge to turn every new topic into an epic debate...

From what I've seen in hanging around here for the past week or so is that this site has no hope of ever having an epic debate again and that is because of the rat pack....

You guys can't or won't debate, when someone posts something that you don't agree with you go all bully on them and kill the discussion....

Thinker was involved in many of those epic debates, I thought of him in the same way I do wikipedia in that you always knew when he was around you better have your facts straight...

But Thinker made his decision to move over to that other board where it sounds like he became one of the rat pack....

Speaking about that other board;

I understand that it shut down for financial reasons...

And most of the posters I've noticed on this board use to post on that other board....

And I've been approached by some members of this site who have been frustrated by the antics of the rat pack and don't wish to speak out against the bullying that is going on here....

Now, I get that it takes money to keep a site going which is why I always paid what I thought was a fair donation to the site every year to help with the costs to keep it going...

And since you and the other former CC members are surely sensitive to the cost burden having had the misfortune of seeing your former site closed down....

And since the rat pack dominates these boards and causes others to shy away from it...

I have to ask you a personal question....

How much and how often do you make a donation to the site to help it with its operating costs?...

Maybe the rest of the rat pack would like to answer that question as well....

Because as Strangelove pointed out in an earlier post, the rat pack has turned this site into the same thing it did to the one which went broke, your own personal lounge to hang out in and have some fun at the expense of others...

So, if that's the case, don't you think you should be paying for it?....

Later....
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

A few thoughts on Torts:

-The notion of him being strictly a defensive minded coach is overblown. He had no problem encouraging the Lightning to push the pace when they had an offensive team. The Rangers roster was best suited for lock-down, grind it out hockey despite having Gaborik and Nash up front to start the season. Their young offensive players like Kreider aren't ready to shoulder big offensive roles and the rest of their productive forwards (Stepan, Hagelin, Callahan, Boyle etc.) are solid two-way players but not exactly offensive juggernauts that can lead the team with an up-tempo offensive style.

-Take a look at the Rangers D, and while they have very solid defensive Ds like Staal, Girardi and McDonagh, the only real offensive D-man they have is Del Zotto and he has some serious defensive holes in his game. I'm not sure that D-corps is as effective in a more offensive system.

-A bit of a red flag is how poor-to-average the PP has been for Tortorella coached teams. The only time his team had a good PP was in 07-08, his final year in Tampa when the PP was 5th but the team missed the playoffs. Torts' Tampa teams were also pretty average on the PK but when he went to New York the PK of his teams were regularly amongst the bet in the NHL. PP issues can typically be solved by personell and adept assistants, but hiring the right assistant to run the PP is another story and if Torts' history with the PP is any indication, finding the right associate would be paramount.

-Perhaps the main issue with Tortorella is how he wears on a team after 2-3 years, especially if the team doesn't have great playoff success. He will poke, prod and will his team to give everything they have but at some point it seems players always end up tuning him out. However, given the Canucks current window with the twins is likely in the 2-3 year range, the bet the Canucks would be making is that they win before Torts reaches his shelf life.

-Hiring Torts is basically a gamble that his fire and experience will be able to extract the most from the Canucks before the team tires of him. For those begging the Canucks to make a bold move and to change shake up the "country-club atmosphere" of the locker room for a more aggressive and physical brand of hockey, hiring Torts would certainly be that bold move.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Mornin (all (including our colourful anti-`sters'.

Just posting a link here by Botchford of the Province - I thought it was an interesting ... candid kind of read:
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Vigne ... story.html
cheers
cc oldtimer
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Not sure about hiring Fonzerella . Gillis is going all in if he brings in the Fonz.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

rikster wrote:Speaking about that other board;

I understand that it shut down for financial reasons...
You understand wrongly, so from this point onward, your points are complete and total horseshit.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Not sure about hiring Fonzerella . Gillis is going all in if he brings in the Fonz.

gillis has no choice as he is about 3 seconds away from being shitcanned...Torts will definitely take the cameras off him for a little time...but I have no doubt that gillis will fuck up AGAIN and will eventually be gone...it wont take long either as he has no idea of what he is doing...
Hammond Aigs
AHL Prospect

Post by Hammond Aigs »

I agree completely with Rikster's assessment of the bullying and disrespectful discourse which seems to have exploded over the past few weeks. I found this site quite by accident, and felt myself fortunate to have stumbled on a site which a) discussed Canucks hockey in a forum context, and b) seemed to encourage thoughtful and respectful discussions and disagreements. It seemed, at that time, to be a place for adults.

What's apparent now is that a few have determined that hockey discussion is secondary to some kind of angry dominance - and that dominance is going to be asserted by bullying statements and heavy-handed ridicule. Why? Because they can - post count trumps respect and civility, apparently.

I have fond the "ignore" feature to be useful in tuning out some of the repetitive noise, but there comes a point where you have to ask "Why bother?" Why bother sifting through the adolescent name-calling, insults, and bullying behavior to get to the few nuggets of interesting and thoughtful discourse? Why bother wasting my time with the same bullshit that I left behind in high school, so long ago?

If this site wants to go along as it has, then fine - you can all decide that only the 1000+ posters can play with each other. Hopefully, another site will spring up and become what this forum used to be.