Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Post by Strangelove »

black ace wrote: Im doubtfull Gillis would do that to a guy weeks away from his no trade kicking in though.
That's the problem with Gillis.

He's too nice of a guy.

And everything filters down from the top.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

black ace wrote:I would look at trading him if it returned a young top 6 center and a bottom pair defenceman. Move tanev up to a top 4 role with Hamhuis,Bieksa,Garrison.

Philly would be a good fit as they have a couple of young centers but they just picked up Streit so...

Im doubtfull Gillis would do that to a guy weeks away from his no trade kicking in though.
Great points Ace.

You know I had almost forgotten you won the BC Lions CC pool a few years ago. But then I saw your sig and I was like, "Oh yeah, black ace won the BC Lions CC pool like three years ago".

Pretty sweet man.

I bet that really rubs the salt in for the other seven people involved in that pool, wherever they are. Way to stick it to 'em buddy.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote:
black ace wrote: Im doubtfull Gillis would do that to a guy weeks away from his no trade kicking in though.
That's the problem with Gillis.

He's too nice of a guy.

And everything filters down from the top.
Amen brother.

Too much a players GM and not enough piss and vinegar, something like his team.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Arachnid wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Is this breaking news? Gillis not wanting to trade Edler? It's not rocket science here. Probably one of the few things I give Gillis thumbs up on. If you are trading Edler you best be upgrading the hole he leaves behind and I am sorry, Keith Ballard is not it. LMAO! You are talking like Yandle, Weber, Subban, Myers, if you are looking for an upgrade. If you are not replacing Edler with that what is the fucking point? Most trade proposals proposed by a lot of folks here in what we should get in return for Edler is a forward or a top pick in this years draft? How the fuck does that deal with the hole by trading Edler has created? That is unless everyone wants an anemic defense like the Oilers, and we have all seen how far that gets you. Defense is King in the new NHL people, I wouldn't call our defense so fucking good and deep that trading Edler and not replacing him is a fucking option here.

Edler ain't going nowhere.
I want to call you the pRikster but you totally agree with me so I will spare you my venom

Edler stays!
Yeah, real smart move Spidey. Just keep taking shots at rikster, the guy who singlehandedly defeated Thinker in open combat.

When it's all over don't expect any PMs from me telling you I miss you. :mex:

Take frigging care.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Rumsfeld wrote:
black ace wrote:I would look at trading him if it returned a young top 6 center and a bottom pair defenceman. Move tanev up to a top 4 role with Hamhuis,Bieksa,Garrison.

Philly would be a good fit as they have a couple of young centers but they just picked up Streit so...

Im doubtfull Gillis would do that to a guy weeks away from his no trade kicking in though.
Great points Ace.

You know I had almost forgotten you won the BC Lions CC pool a few years ago. But then I saw your sig and I was like, "Oh yeah, black ace won the BC Lions CC pool like three years ago".

Pretty sweet man.

I bet that really rubs the salt in for the other seven people involved in that pool, wherever they are. Way to stick it to 'em buddy.
Me and 7 others ????? I think it was me and 3 others.

But much like the 6 team NHL no one can take it away from me.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Is this breaking news? Gillis not wanting to trade Edler? It's not rocket science here. Probably one of the few things I give Gillis thumbs up on. If you are trading Edler you best be upgrading the hole he leaves behind and I am sorry, Keith Ballard is not it. LMAO! You are talking like Yandle, Weber, Subban, Myers, if you are looking for an upgrade. If you are not replacing Edler with that what is the fucking point? Most trade proposals proposed by a lot of folks here in what we should get in return for Edler is a forward or a top pick in this years draft? How the fuck does that deal with the hole by trading Edler has created? That is unless everyone wants an anemic defense like the Oilers, and we have all seen how far that gets you. Defense is King in the new NHL people, I wouldn't call our defense so fucking good and deep that trading Edler and not replacing him is a fucking option here.

Edler ain't going nowhere.
I want to call you the pRikster but you totally agree with me so I will spare you my venom

Edler stays!
Yeah, real smart move Spidey. Just keep taking shots at rikster, the guy who singlehandedly defeated Thinker in open combat.

When it's all over don't expect any PMs from me telling you I miss you. :mex:

Take frigging care.
Richard, Rik, Rickey, they' are all Dicks to me. So what if my old mans name is the same. He was an asshole, a thug. He chased away good people too.Passive aggressively. Take care...is not a signature of hope, it it is a curse of mediocrity, a sign that the status quo cannot be changed, it is unacceptable. Much like a Canuck fans journey...how would you like if every response from GM MG was to Take Care...?
I am no bully, you know that Mr. Rumsfeld sir, I stand up for the little guys, the small men. I hurt for the common man.
I stand for truth and justice.
I will no longer accept mediocrity as a Canuck fan, no sir, and certainly not from a fellow Canuck fan...Take Care...I am certainly will not take care. I will be vigilant, I will be angry, I will not allow someone to damper my true passion of being an Orcas Fan.
My best friend on CC was The fArtist Formerly Known As. He was amazing. Almost as amazing as me. In his quest for knowledge and his love of his team. There was no denying he made all of us fans better for knowing him.
And now?
He is dead :cry:
Killed by mediocrity.
Chased away by two simple words that both insult and hurt...take care...
I will not stand for this injustice. Some of you may be mesmerized by 'sters banality. His uncouth ways. I am not. I see through evil like no others. It burns. It burns, like urine in section 320 at Pacific Colosseum....

Get Bent!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

I'm not against trading Edler in the right deal but replacing his offensive production and puck moving ability from the blue-line will be extremely difficult, so the offensive piece coming back in return has to be significant.

Part of me wants to see how Edler will perform under a new coach next season but with his NTC kicking in soon things get complicated.

The reason D-men like Edler are in demand is because they're a rare commodity.

Today's NHL is largely about efficient puck movement out of your own end, so when you start losing those players you're putting yourself in a tough position.

It's no coincidence that the Canucks regressed once they lost Ehrhoff in summer of 2011 and let Rome go last summer.

Rome haters are about to have a conniption, but when you remove a very capable #7 who can even play spot duty in the top 4, you're using a valuable depth D who helps stabilize things. Rome wasn't perfect but he better than anything the Canucks had outside the top 5 Ds this season.

When Ehrhoff left, the Canucks 3rd D pair suffered a massive downgrade, and the blueline was further diminished by Rome's departure.

If we send Edler out for a forward, the Canucks D will regress for a 3rd off-season in a row.

Perhaps the Canucks problem with Edler is that they view him a potential franchise D-man and they've tried to put him in that type of a role. Maybe all he can be is a number 2 or even 3, but with his offensive production it still easily justifies a $5M annual salary.

If Edler does stay, he can't be the biggest minute eater on D. I would like to see Hamhuis & Garrison (not necessarily as a pair) soak up the toughest roles and place Edler in a more offensive position within the 20-21 minute range instead of 24 mins a game.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I disagree with some of your points Coco.

First Edler's point comes off playing the minutes he does and the 1st unit PP. Any D man taking over those minutes would probably have many of the same points. It is like many players who have success, it is not just based upon them alone but being in the right place at the right time.

What good is having any offensive D when your forwards cant keep the puck or cant score. Right now our offense if the problem and Edler is just 1 piece we have to trade to get the help this team needs.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Reefer2 wrote: First Edler's point comes off playing the minutes he does and the 1st unit PP. Any D man taking over those minutes would probably have many of the same points. It is like many players who have success, it is not just based upon them alone but being in the right place at the right time.
Uh no, that's just silly.

D-men don't score +10 goals per season just by getting first unit PP time.
Reefer2 wrote: What good is having any offensive D when your forwards cant keep the puck or cant score. Right now our offense if the problem and Edler is just 1 piece we have to trade to get the help this team needs.
Edler isn't Jack Johnson, he's miles better. Trading Edler for an offensive forward doesn't guarantee the Canucks score more or keep possession of the puck more. Despite his flaws and underwhelming play at times over the past year and half, Edler has been a positive contributor to the Canucks on the whole, so trading him would mean you have to find someone who will replace Edler's contributions plus add something extra to be worthwhile.

I'm not against making that type of a trade but is there really one like that available that doesn't come with uncertainty?

Good offensive teams generate their rush and offensive pressure from solid defensive breakouts and good D involvement in the neutral zone and on the points. When you take away a player who can excel in those areas, you're hurting your team's offense, so you better be able to find something that will make up for that.

As I said, since the Canucks already aren't as deep on D as they were in 2011, taking another step back could be a major recipe for disaster.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Reefer2 wrote:
What good is having any offensive D when your forwards cant keep the puck or cant score. Right now our offense if the problem and Edler is just 1 piece we have to trade to get the help this team needs.
Ultimately the problem is that there are no young players in the system that will replace what Edler brings. Trading Edler is robbing Peter to pay Paul
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Mondi wrote: I remember the team kept hoping for Naslund and Bertuzzi to regain the magic, and it never happened. They waited about 12 to 18 months too long. I hope that mistake is not repeated with this core.
Great comparison, except Edler is 27.

Naslund hit his prime at 28 and carried it for 3 seasons (the best three of his career) until he was 31.

Bertuzzi had his two best seasons from the age 27-28.
Mondi wrote: Sure, the Twins will likely come back and have a good year this coming season, and Kesler will probably be leaps and bounds better with an injury free summer. But, the team is clearly stale. So stale that a new coach alone will not be sufficient to purge the musty odor emanating from Roger's Arena.
I love flowery language that means sweet fuck all.
Mondi wrote: An irrational attachment to guys who have been here a long time has been this team's downfall before. No reason to keep the core in tact when you study the result over the past 3 seasons.
What's irrational about saying trading Edler for the sake of shaking things us isn't necessarily a good idea?

I have no issues with anyone being traded but it depends on who you're wanting to move and what you want in his place.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

maybe we can get rid of that godddamn "streets have no name" intro as well...after a decade it is lame...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I pretty much never agree with the Dogsalmon but he's right. U2 has to go.

How bout some Sabbath ??
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etAIpkdhU9Q

This is my idea of a better opening song, can you imagine all the church goers having a hissy fit if they came out with this?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

As Ray Ferraro likes to say - "you can have all kinds of plentiful great forwards but if you don't have the defensemen to get them the pucks what good are all these great forwards?"

The Canucks are not deep enough talented enough to trade Edler and not replace him. People need to stop thinking of him as nick lidstrom jr and just accept him as a good top 4 defenseman which are not exactly growing on trees these days

Also, stop moaning about his pay cause I don't see a lot of you moaning about Ballards and Booths pay who are far worse less valuable to this team than Edler
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau