Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Should Gillis Trade Alexander Edler?

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:
SKYO wrote:"#Canes GM Rutherford says he would entertain offers for their number 5 pick if a trade involved them receiving a top 4 d-man."

How about a top 2 dman. 8-)
It is the same guy who dealt a recent 3rd overall pick for Tim Gleason - although in hindsight he might have got the better player.
then Players Agent - Mike 'Grabner, 1st round pick, Bernier for Ballard' Gillis should make for a great trading partner with Rutherford.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Not sure if this is enough, but what about Edler for Tyler Myers? We can throw in a player or pick. It'd be nice to get the next potential Chara on our roster. There always rumblings about Miller wanting out of Buffalo, maybe they'd be interested in our American goalie Schneids.

As far as big doods go, I'd luv to get Buffy here and would be willing to overpay for him too. Edler, Shroeder and a pick for Buffy?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Why not trade Edler? What does he bring points-wise that wouldn't be made up for by a top 6 forward?

Look at the teams in the playoffs, they have a couple of high paid defensemen and the rest drop off as far as salary/cap hit goes. Teams that are successful are putting up numbers from the forwards and have tough, defensively responsible, and physically dedicated, defensemen on the blueline. They break out as a unit, don't look for the stretch pass with a massive gap between the forwards and defense. They back check and are often starting their counter attack from the neutral zone. They have 3 forwards all filling lanes, and they all go to the net. None of this one man to the corner to get a cycle going if the rush fails. They don't think fail. They thing succeed and when they don't they regroup like cheetahs and start again. And they don't seem to give up near the number of odd man rushes that the Canucks do.

Edler is replaceable defensively. Not so much offensively as far as what you get from the back end, but as if you can replace his points up front while decreasing the number off chances and goals against.....that is a VERY GOOD trade.

If Edler can be part of a package that gets us into the top few picks in the draft, then making up for that production from a forward like MacKinnon is worth waiting a year or so.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I don't want a 300 pound Buffy...pass...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinio ... 63161.html
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ Who cares if Buffy is 260, 280, 300, 400 pounds as long as he’s an effective defenseman? This guy is consistently one of the highest scoring defensemen in the league, hell he scored 11 goals in the playoffs in 2010.

The fact that he’s a huge, bull of a man that is a handful for anybody in the league is a bonus.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Well if you're trying to get bigger and nastier without losing skill, Byfuglien would be the way to go! Be helluva lot cheaper than trying to go after Weber who also has a higher cap hit.. SW $7.85M to DB $5.2M.
And we all know he's uber beast mode in the playoffs too.

Trade Edler for help up front, trade Booth++ or Burrows+ for Byfuglien. :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Iffy on Buffy.

There are guys you want on your team because they have a ring and know what it takes.

I question his hunger for another.

How can you be hungry when you're always full?

:mrgreen:
2011..... the one that got away.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Iffy on Buffy.

There are guys you want on your team because they have a ring and know what it takes.

Speaking of which, most contenders that eventually win it have a few players that have already won it! whyTF doesn't Gillis recognize this?

iirc the players on the Canucks who have actually won a Stanley Cup in their NHL careers? zero.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Iffy on Buffy.

Speaking of which, most contenders that eventually win it have a few players that have already won it! whyTF doesn't Gillis recognize this?

iirc the players on the Canucks who have actually won a Stanley Cup in their NHL careers? zero.
I always find that these players who have won the Stanley Cup are overrated. A lot of them were just lucky enough to be on a winning team. Some players just had a hell of a series or two but could never duplicate their success anywhere.

I still recall that the Canucks once had a 6 times SC winner and one of the best captains ever. However, the Canucks missed the playoffs for three straight seasons during his tenure.

The current Canucks might not have a SC ring but most of them did play in the SCF Game 7. I am pretty sure that they know what it takes to win it all.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Philadelphia trades for Mark Streit's rights. Unless they're willing to give a 35-year old $5 mil/yr for a couple years, don't know how worthwhile that was.

Having said that, if the Isles weren't willing to pay $5 mil for a 35-year old D, wonder if they'd pay that sum for a younger version at 27? Does this put them in the market for Edler?

They gotta reach the floor somehow, and it would be worth wondering what they would part with in order to get him.

Food for thought...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Lancer wrote:Philadelphia trades for Mark Streit's rights. Unless they're willing to give a 35-year old $5 mil/yr for a couple years, don't know how worthwhile that was.

Having said that, if the Isles weren't willing to pay $5 mil for a 35-year old D, wonder if they'd pay that sum for a younger version at 27? Does this put them in the market for Edler?

They gotta reach the floor somehow, and it would be worth wondering what they would part with in order to get him.

Food for thought...
How about the $4.2m 29-years old D? :)
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Jovocop wrote:
Lancer wrote:Philadelphia trades for Mark Streit's rights. Unless they're willing to give a 35-year old $5 mil/yr for a couple years, don't know how worthwhile that was.

Food for thought...
How about the $4.2m 29-years old D? :)
Think he'd trash his NTC to work for Wang and Snow in the Bronx? Having said that, if Torts gets hired, it might look appealing... :lol:

-oops, wrong $4+ mill Dman... :bang: There are so many...

Yeah, Snow might bite for a pick and a puck.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Lancer wrote: Yeah, Snow might bite for a pick and a puck.
Hell, throw Ballard in as a gift to move up in the draft.

Ballard, 4th (116 overall) round pick to NYI for a 3rd (76th overall) rounder.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

TDA Rum wrote:I don't want a 300 pound Buffy...pass...

DOH I just posted a link to the 302 pound Buffy story in the The mildly ridiculous trade proposals thread.

Mind you MY link provided a better story and was HELLA funny....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

TDA Rum wrote:I don't want a 300 pound Buffy...pass...

I'd still take a chance on him, but I'm biased cuz I luv his game. Perhaps with Buffy having weight issues and his salary being a bit high, he might be available at a lower price tag. Instead of having 1/2 a season, we'd have him for a full season so he has more time to work himself into shape. *LOL*

I know he's listed as a D-man, but I luv him on forward. I'd put him with the sedins and put him on the PP so he can stick his butt in front of opposition goalie's faces just like what he did so well vs Lou. :lol: I remember in those playoffs series we played against the Hawks, I thought he killed us more than Kane/Toews. He was a Canuck killer and I'd luv to see him apply his trade for us rather than against us. :D

I think if the Hawks were able to keep their foot soldiers like Versteeg, Ladd and Buffy, I doubt we beat them in 2011.