Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
7%
Edler
25%
Booth
26%
Higgins
5%
Bieksa
9%
Ballard
26%
Hamhuis
1%
None of the above
1%

Total votes: 173

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Roster Questions

Post by Lancer »

Rumsfeld wrote:Is Weise signed for this season? Every team needs a good fourth-line war horse.
RFA, I believe. Wouldn't mind having him back at the right price, which I don't think will be a big challenge for Gillis.

Has speed, some size, just needs to develop between the ears and get better hands.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Lancer[list] wrote:just needs to develop between the ears and get better hands.
At least his chin is exceptionally well developed.

But yeah in all seriousness he's a decent grinding winger who should continue to improve.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lancer wrote: ... just needs to develop between the ears and get better hands.
I know eh?

I've seen Iranian women more developed between the ears... and with better hands. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:We need more RFAs.*

*Real Fucking Assholes
Please don't say the word "fucking".

Take care...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Rumsfeld wrote:We need more RFAs.*

*Real Fucking Assholes

More RFAs and less RMRs *

*Registered Mammy Rammers
2011..... the one that got away.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:But yeah in all seriousness he's a decent grinding winger who should continue to improve.
Weise is a decent four line winger...nothing wrong with that. Though, it sure would be nice if he was an asshole and had some more scoring pop.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Why the long face you guys.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Rumsfeld wrote:Why the long face you guys.
Why the wet face Dale?

2011..... the one that got away.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

People tend to forget that the Canucks played most games last season with the same payroll as Nashville or Florida. With Ballard in the pressbox, Luongo on the bench, and Malhotra done for most of the season. That's not even counting Booth (injuries happen).

The cap goes down, but if (and he'll be fired if he doesn't) Gillis solves the Canucks salary issues, we SHOULD be able to ice a better team next year.

I'm not sure how you go about doing that (trade Edler, Burrows??), but I think a new coaching staff alone will get more production from that woeful PP and could hold players more accountable. Not to mention a somewhat healthy roster (Kesler, Booth, Bieksa, Schneider etc. etc.) would help.

The biggest thing for the Canucks is finding some consistent second line players. Enough fucking around with guys like Raymond who may or may not get hot or produce. We need our own Hossa or Williams/Carter or whoever to be a stud on the Kesler line. Either setting RK17 up, or scoring on their own. I believe Booth can be a Nathan Horton type producer, but we REALLY need to find someone that's more guaranteed. Kassian isn't ready to be counted on, and I'm not sure that Booth can stay healthy.

Basically, the Canucks have been a one-line team for too long. People in this town expect too much out of the Sedins. They carry us to the playoffs, and they need some help when the reffing goes to shit and 'the rest' have to step up.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Island Nucklehead wrote:People tend to forget that the Canucks played most games last season with the same payroll as Nashville or Florida. With Ballard in the pressbox, Luongo on the bench, and Malhotra done for most of the season. That's not even counting Booth (injuries happen).

The cap goes down, but if (and he'll be fired if he doesn't) Gillis solves the Canucks salary issues, we SHOULD be able to ice a better team next year.

I'm not sure how you go about doing that (trade Edler, Burrows??), but I think a new coaching staff alone will get more production from that woeful PP and could hold players more accountable. Not to mention a somewhat healthy roster (Kesler, Booth, Bieksa, Schneider etc. etc.) would help.

The biggest thing for the Canucks is finding some consistent second line players. Enough fucking around with guys like Raymond who may or may not get hot or produce. We need our own Hossa or Williams/Carter or whoever to be a stud on the Kesler line. Either setting RK17 up, or scoring on their own. I believe Booth can be a Nathan Horton type producer, but we REALLY need to find someone that's more guaranteed. Kassian isn't ready to be counted on, and I'm not sure that Booth can stay healthy.

Basically, the Canucks have been a one-line team for too long. People in this town expect too much out of the Sedins. They carry us to the playoffs, and they need some help when the reffing goes to shit and 'the rest' have to step up.
I don't disagree, but it's been the same 'ole song for years - mitigated somewhat when Samuelsson was around and healthy. Compound that with the fact that one of the team's best strengths when Manny and Kes were healthy, has become a weakness, and the results can't be surprising. Short of finding another 'Manny' story, we have more than just the second-line problem.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Lancer wrote: I don't disagree, but it's been the same 'ole song for years - mitigated somewhat when Samuelsson was around and healthy. Compound that with the fact that one of the team's best strengths when Manny and Kes were healthy, has become a weakness, and the results can't be surprising. Short of finding another 'Manny' story, we have more than just the second-line problem.
I think bottom-six issues are easy to fix, especially if you're throwing around "Manny" money ($2.5M). A guy like Cullen could be had that can fill that role in free agency.

I would love the Canucks to have a fourth line like Boston's, but it probably won't happen. If we're going to ice a more talented roster, and I believe we can, we need to add some talent up front. Gillis NEEDS to stop gambling on guys like Raymond. And if you have to have some cheap-o fourth liners and bottom-pairing D, so be it.

IMHO, Gillis' biggest failing is counting on offence from the D. That works fine when you're getting PP's and you can move freely through the neutral zone. Come playoff time, everyone is blocking shots and your being held up. Having a bottom-pairing of guys like Alberts or Rome is completely acceptable if your forwards can score goals.

When you think Ballard could be replaced (cap-wise) by a Fisher, Michalek, Oshie or Dubinsky etc. you really see how we could have utilized our cap more effectively.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Lancer wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Is Weise signed for this season? Every team needs a good fourth-line war horse.
RFA, I believe. Wouldn't mind having him back at the right price, which I don't think will be a big challenge for Gillis.

Has speed, some size, just needs to develop between the ears and get better hands.
I would like to have him back too - as long as the new coach doesn't pull an AV and slot him into the top 6 or even top line to play with the Sedins.

That's exactly what this team needs - a 4th line agitator playing along side the twins on the first line, maybe he'll draw a penalty and Daniel can start manning the point again.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Basically, the Canucks have been a one-line team for too long. People in this town expect too much out of the Sedins. They carry us to the playoffs, and they need some help when the reffing goes to shit and 'the rest' have to step up.
Maybe the Sedins and Gillis need to help themselves and adapt to the reffing of the NHL. Or we just sit here and cry in our crying towels forever about it.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Basically, the Canucks have been a one-line team for too long. People in this town expect too much out of the Sedins. They carry us to the playoffs, and they need some help when the reffing goes to shit and 'the rest' have to step up.
Maybe the Sedins and Gillis need to help themselves and adapt to the reffing of the NHL. Or we just sit here and cry in our crying towels forever about it.
There's a hoopy frood who knows where his towel is!
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hoopy froods have crunchy towels I hear...
____
Try to focus on someday.