Canucks Who Live and Breathe Hockey: Offseason Training

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Canucks Who Live and Breathe Hockey: Offseason Training

Post by FAN »

Offseason training has become an extremely important time for players. Players who taken advantage of their time in the offseason to correctly train have made improvements in their games, while players who spent significant time doing things they love to do often get left behind. The Sedins' fitness and conditioning have become somewhat legendary among Canucks. They train hard during the offseason and their offseason training (e.g. inline skating) is geared towards improving performance on ice. Then you have the Kyle Wellwoods who frequently show up to camp fat and overweight, guys like Trevor Linden who spends a lot of time on their hobbies (Trevor Linden did a lot of cycling in the offseason and as a result he was frequently one of the best-conditioned athlete on the team, but didn't get any better on the ice), and guys who are gym rats and end up slower because they bulked up too much.

So who among the Canucks live and breathe hockey and who among the Canucks spend too much time on their hobbies? I have read that Kesler starts skating in the offseason pretty early on and has spent a ton of time working on improving his shot. David Booth's has a reputation for working out very hard but you got to wonder whether too much time is spend in the gym and out hunting. Tanev works out with Gary Roberts. Most young guys spend some time with Dave Gagner. Whose offseason training habits do you know?
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Who Live and Breathe Hockey: Offseason Training

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

FAN wrote:Whose offseason training habits do you know?
A guy at HF saw Edler leaving Five Guys Burger and Fries with a big bag yesterday.
2011..... the one that got away.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
A guy at HF saw Edler leaving Five Guys Burger and Fries with a big bag yesterday.

he's bulking up in the off season so he can move more wight in the gym...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
So he's going to the Leaves?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Topper wrote: So he's going to the Leaves?
I said big bag. Not suitcase.
2011..... the one that got away.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

This makes it at least a couple of times booth's hunting has been mentioned in relation to his conditioning and injury record...

Wtf? Is he running his prey down on foot and ripping jugulars with his teeth?

I've been a few times myself and aside being half frozen and cramped to death from sitting in a hide at ungodly hours of the early morning, it wasn't that strenuous.

One could make a zen argument to the whole thing as a way of preparing mentally if anything ..
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

^^ The Canucks need more of that killer instinct, in the playoffs.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

The Sedins should work less on cardio and more on strength. It would improve their speed, their shot velocity and their ability to win one-on-one battles. They looked really skinny this year.

Pretty unimpressed with Kassian's physique this year as well.

Kesler and Booth should be forced to play NHL 13 for four hours a day and work exclusively on passing the puck to one another.

Burrows should primarily practice smack talk, he's gotten rusty. Get him a user name and log his ass in here. I suggest Biter_14.

Which, ironically enough, is also the Plenty of Fish screen-name of my date from last Saturday.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Burrows should primarily practice smack talk, he's gotten rusty. Get him a user name and log his ass in here. I suggest Biter_14.
I think Gillis should hire a guy like you to dig up dirt on opposing players

... and provide good one-liners to our trash-talkers.

You could be up in the booth with a headset, feeding dummies like Weise & Sestito with quality material/comebacks.

I would think $200K with a great benefits package would be fair. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: Burrows should primarily practice smack talk, he's gotten rusty. Get him a user name and log his ass in here. I suggest Biter_14.
I think Gillis should hire a guy like you to dig up dirt on opposing players

... and provide good one-liners to our trash-talkers.

You could be up in the booth with a headset, feeding dummies like Weise & Sestito with quality material/comebacks.

I would think $200K with a great benefits package would be fair. :mex:
LOL, I'm so in!

OK ten-four Dale, now tell Toews that Iranian women can grow a better beard than that...

It's not much of a stretch, they have a sleep coach for Crissakes.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

… course a dummy like Weise would probably screw it up and end up saying something like:

"Hey Toews... Iranian women can grow a better ears than you!" :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:… course a dummy like Weise would probably screw it up and end up saying something like:

"Hey Toews... Iranian women can grow a better ears than you!" :lol:
Yeah, they'd start calling him Pharlap and Secretariat and he'd put his head down and skate to the bench.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

ukcanuck wrote:This makes it at least a couple of times booth's hunting has been mentioned in relation to his conditioning and injury record...

Wtf? Is he running his prey down on foot and ripping jugulars with his teeth?

I've been a few times myself and aside being half frozen and cramped to death from sitting in a hide at ungodly hours of the early morning, it wasn't that strenuous.

One could make a zen argument to the whole thing as a way of preparing mentally if anything ..
Hunting is non-hockey related. A lot of top athletes nowadays follow a strict training regimen and diet. That means when to train, how to train, how long to train, what to eat, when to eat, when to rest, what not to do on rest days etc. Simply training hard and coming into camp in great shape doesn't cut it. Many players are doing hockey-specific training. If Booth isn't doing it he's going to fall behind. It's been speculated that the problem with Booth might be overtraining and it's easy to see why. If he's skating in the morning, lifting weights, and then climbing mountains in the afternoon, that's going to take a toll on his body.