Around the League

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Re: Around the League

Post by Knucklehead »

Complete and total bullshit here!!!

This deserved at least 2 games if not 5 because of the repeat offender status.

I used to like Keith but since his cheap shot on Daniel I've lost all respect for him.

Hope the shithawks lose this series and that's saying a lot considering how much I dislike any team with a dutter as a coach.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Knucklehead wrote:Complete and total bullshit here!!!

This deserved at least 2 games if not 5 because of the repeat offender status.

I used to like Keith but since his cheap shot on Daniel I've lost all respect for him.

Hope the shithawks lose this series and that's saying a lot considering how much I dislike any team with a dutter as a coach.
Really? You find it that big a deal? what'shisnoodle carter asked for it, would you be calling out carter of he broke Keith's hand with his half assed slash?

one game is plenty
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Shanny the media whore completely missed that this was a blow to the head that caused injury Combine that with retaliatory, a word Shanny the media whore used several times, and you may have something.

Watch the video and the reasons highlighted for the suspension.
High stick
Previous offender
Injury.

Hey Shanny the media whore, how about,
Retaliatory blow to the head with a high stick
Previous offender
Injury (a feature of the suspensions I find ludicrous)

Now tell us that is one game.

Oh yes, "may have or may not have hit Keith's hand" and then zooms in to show stick on empty glove. As HW noted, cross reference this with the wild conjecture and ouji board mind reading that he used in explaining Hansen's 2 games.

Un fucking believable.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

The reason Duncan Keith only got one game is because he's an elite player.

Buttman and Shanny are ruining the NHL. This league has lost all credibility. What a f....ing sham!!!
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Topper wrote:Un fucking believable.
Sad thing is it really isn't.
2011..... the one that got away.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Topper wrote:Un fucking believable.
Sad thing is it really isn't.
Sadder yet....it should be :mad:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

As much I hate this fucking guy and I don't much like either player, I gotta agree with this article.

I do however also agree that the same common sense approach rarely is applied consistently and that Hanson got screwed...
FRASER: A LOOK AT 'INTENT' OF KEITH'S HIGH STICK ON CARTER
Kerry Fraser
6/5/2013 2:09:20 PM

The fact of the matter is that a different standard of enforcement is most often applied in the NHL and other professional leagues. Before everyone starts jumping all over this reality statement, I would like to share the thought process used to differentiate between varying degrees of stick related infractions up to a match penalty for a deliberate attempt to injure an opponent. It might be like shifting and change at the end of this business day but I provide anyway.

As I'm sure you would agree, proving "intent" can be a difficult task. Several factors are taken into account for this purpose. I want to focus on the degree or severity of contact along with the time element taken to deliver a blow in retaliation as two of the primary considerations.

In the setup of this confrontation between Duncan Keith and Jeff Carter, it began in front of the Chicago net when the two players initially came together. Carter brought his hands and stick up into the face of Keith and then clamped his arm down stripping the Hawks defenceman of his stick. Somewhere during the play, Duncan Keith lost his left glove where it came to rest in the middle of the Hawks' end zone. As Keith bent down to pick up the glove, Carter chopped down on the glove in close proximity to Duncan Keith's bare hand. While it is obvious the glove absorbed the brunt of Carter's stick contact, Keith's hand may have felt some residual effect. At this point we
examine Keith's reaction and method of retaliation.

With an absence of time delay Keith immediately straightened up and brought his stick up and around in a 'reflex' of retaliation with a one handed strike contacting Carter in the mouth. I say immediate because Keith had not yet taken the time to return the glove to his left hand. The one handed blow was certainly careless and demonstrates a poor decision made by Keith but the contact did not fall into the severe or excessive category that would typically result in a match penalty being assessed by a referee in the NHL. Keith's immediate reaction of remorse further demonstrates a lack of intent in an attempt to injure Jeff Carter through a premeditative strike.

Let me further demonstrate the "time factor" from a play that occurred in Game 6 of the Rangers-Capitals series when Mike Green deliberately cross-checked Derek Dorsett in the mouth resulting in a cut to the Rangers mouth. A minor penalty was called on Green at 13:36 of the third period. I believe Green's actions fell into the match penalty category with a deliberate attempt to injure Dorsett given the length of time for Green to deliver the blow and the well placed location of the strike.

Mike Green was not suspended as the series moved to Game 7. On the play you might recall Derek Dorsett took Green into the boards with an attempted slew foot causing Green to hit the boards awkwardly but he remained upright on his skates. Dorsett on the other hand fell to the ice onto his back. In the time it took for Dorsett to get off his back and onto his knees, Mike Green turned and looked at the referee standing in the corner to see if a penalty was being called against Dorsett. When he saw the Ref's arm was not raised Green then turned his focus downward toward Dorsett, who was kneeling with his face fully exposed in front of the Caps defenceman. Mike Green then brought his stick up and deliberately cross-checked Derek Dorsett in the mouth with a downward blow. The time delay in this retaliation constitutes a deliberate attempt to injure as opposed to more of a 'reflex' action that Referee Eric Furlotte correctly judged in Duncan Keith's one handed high-stick motion.

Note: Following the publication of this article, Keith was suspended for one game by the NHL.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote: I don't see how any repeat offender can get only one game on a suspendable offence. Whats that saying? It wasn't bad enough for a suspension but because your a RO we have to give at least one game? Or the fact that you're a RO really didn't play into the decision.
The league says that a situation has to be suspension worthy before it is reviewed and a player's suspension history comes into play.

Logic tells us that because Keith (a repeat offender) only received a one-game suspension, a player with no previous suspension history would not have been suspended at all. :eh:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

So there's only intent to injure if you wait a few seconds. Good to know.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:Image
:thumbs:
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

If I'm gonna be outraged it would be the non call on Mick Jagr.

This is what's wrong with the NHL.

How can they justify allowing that goal to stand and basically gift wrap the series over a play that would be a no brainer the rest of the year?

Okay maybe gift wrap is a bit much but they definitely held the string with their finger while Boston tied the bow...
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

ukcanuck wrote:If I'm gonna be outraged it would be the non call on Mick Jagr.

This is what's wrong with the NHL.

How can they justify allowing that goal to stand and basically gift wrap the series over a play that would be a no brainer the rest of the year?

Okay maybe gift wrap is a bit much but they definitely held the string with their finger while Boston tied the bow...
Pittsburgh's had more PPs while the game was close than Vancouver got in 7 games against the Bs. The officiating has been terrible but at least it's been terrible both ways. Jagr got away with about three hooks last night but Boston had a couple dubious penalties in a row as well.

Looks like Marchand was wrong about the Pens putting up more of a fight than the cowardly Canucks. ;)

As an aside, how effective has Marchand been this series? He's making shit happen every shift. :scowl:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Rumsfeld wrote:As an aside, how effective has Marchand been this series? He's making shit happen every shift. :scowl:
which is why I said long ago, he can play on my team any day.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

It seems like the original 6 teams get way more flexibility and are able to throw their weight around to get suspensions reduced. I still can't believe Rome received the duration of the finals for a millisecond late hit on a concussion prone player. Woop-dee-doo Keith gets suspended for 1 game in LA that they have a good shot of losing anyways, that's about as effective as Keith's suspension last year.