CHI v. LA and BOS v. PIT (and Van v. ...Beuller...anybody?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: CHI v. LA and BOS v. PIT (and Van v. ...Beuller...anybod

Post by Meds »

I'm loving that Bruins are winning despite the obviously unbalanced officiating that is doing everything it can to help Pittsburgh and listening to CBC stroke Crosby and Malkin every chance they get is just disgusting. The only thing that would make CBC more uncomfortable come the Finals would be if Vancouver was coming out of the west.

I can't wait until the NHL wakes up and just awards the SCF to TSN instead of CBC.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Wow am I ever glad that the canucks don't have a couple of series no shows like Malkin and Crosby on the roster....
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Pens went for it and once again we see a team that makes major moves at the trade deadline fail. Fail I say because I don't not believe they can come back from this. Iggy backed the wrong horse, just like the rest of his career, staying in Calgary all those years. He looks old, slow and uninspired out there that I wondered if he was playing hurt. Then I remembered this is how he played in the last Olympics. Times has passed him by. Murray, well I see why he was traded, slow as molasseses. Nothing to write home about. Morrow wtf, Is he even playing.

Malkin and Crosby shut down. And without Vokoun they don't even get this far. A team with as many cap problems as us and no way to bring many of these guys back and one that has traded a lot of their future. This team has a lot of holes in it and will have many more come July 1.
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

tantalum wrote:Wow am I ever glad that the canucks don't have a couple of series no shows like Malkin and Crosby on the roster....
:lol:

Touché!
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:A team with as many cap problems as us and no way to bring many of these guys back and one that has traded a lot of their future. This team has a lot of holes in it and will have many more come July 1.
But Shero makes such BOLD moves.

Iggie is playing exactly the way he has been for the last couple of years and only highlights how awful the Flames team he carried is.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

tantalum wrote:Wow am I ever glad that the canucks don't have a couple of series no shows like Malkin and Crosby on the roster....
Malkin and Crosby have kicked ass in almost every series they've ever played in. Malkin won the fucking Conn Smythe.

I really hope you're not comparing them to the Sedins because they've been shut down for three games against the Bruins, who have the best team defense in hockey. Even though they're not scoring at least the effort is there. If you watched the game you'd have seen that they both played their hearts out last night.

Fuck, even Patty Kane's been taking the body in the playoffs this year.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I guess the best thing we could hope for in the Final is Bolland and Marchand slamming into each other at full speed in center ice, ending each other's career simultaneously as the Hockey Gods gaze down in approval.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Rumsfeld wrote: Malkin and Crosby have kicked ass in almost every series they've ever played in. Malkin won the fucking Conn Smythe.

I really hope you're not comparing them to the Sedins because they've been shut down for three games against the Bruins. Even though they're not scoring at least the effort is there. If you watched the game you'd have seen that they both played their hearts out last night.

Fuck, even Patty Kane's been taking the body in the playoffs this year.
1) woosh

2) They are generational talents...that get shut down. This isn't the first time. The year Malkin won the Conn Smythe Crosby was a no show in the final. The previous final, Malkin was the no show. Shit happens even to the very very very very best the game has ever seen. Yet canuck fans whine about a couple of players who have been PPG players in the playoffs the last 5 years. You can not say that Henrik and Daniel don't put forth every bit as hard an effort just because they aren't as flashy (hell Henrik played the last 2 and half rounds of the cup run obviously injured). They produce at the rate that should be expected. But as I said shit happens. Sometimes guys get shut down for a series or two during the run. It's why depth (and health...no denying it) wins championships.

yes Crosby played his heart out and so did Malkin. They also made some stupid stupid plays and got out battled. Most notably Malkin lost the battle to Jagr on the winning goal. Again it happens. You don't run productive players out of town because they have a tough series or two.

BTW Malkin may actually be moved if they can't get him signed to an extension as he is a UFA next summer. I'd throw just about anything at him to have him in a canuck uniform.

Yay good for Patty Kane throwing a check or two. Too bad about his 2 points in his last 7 playoff games. Hmm look another case of a team having their best players shut down for extended periods of time but succeeding because of depth.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Nobody would be criticizing the Sedins if they had one "tough series".

They've had five "tough series" out of their last six. Sure, more scoring depth would be nice, but good playoff players will perform well whether there's a stacked second line or not. The Sedins were basically ineffective three out of four series when we had the highest scoring team in the NHL.

So by your logic the Sedins can suck forever in the playoffs but that's OK because once in a while other top players get shut down as well and we can always just blame it on depth. :lol: Make all the excuses for them you want, the Sedins are terrible in the playoffs and the entire league knows it. At least when other top players aren't scoring they're contributing in other ways.
You can not say that Henrik and Daniel don't put forth every bit as hard an effort just because they aren't as flashy (hell Henrik played the last 2 and half rounds of the cup run obviously injured).
No, I can say that because they're 200+ pounds and they can't skate but they still play with zero grit and won't take the body at all.

BTW, the term "woosh" is reserved for people who have missed a joke or point of some kind. Your subsequent five paragraphs show that I was in fact in perfect understanding of your post, so kindly shove your whoosh up your fat midwestern ass. :D
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Rumsfeld wrote:I guess the best thing we could hope for in the Final is Bolland and Marchand slamming into each other at full speed in center ice, ending each other's career simultaneously as the Hockey Gods gaze down in approval.
... and for Keith to get Boychuked in the groin so we can call him Duncan Nonuts.
2011..... the one that got away.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

tantalum wrote:BTW Malkin may actually be moved if they can't get him signed to an extension as he is a UFA next summer. I'd throw just about anything at him to have him in a canuck uniform.
Ditto

Which is why I asked about the Pens records sans the kid and with Malkin leading.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I really doubt Malkin's going anywhere, especially Vancouver.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Rummy.....for the record the "woosh" was intended for an e-mail I was writing at the time, not to you. I got confuddled on where I was typing, what I was typing, who I was responding to etc and never proof-read the post. In 15 years I haven't gone over a post before hitting submit and I won't start now!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Rumsfeld wrote:Nobody would be criticizing the Sedins if they had one "tough series".

They've had five "tough series" out of their last six. Sure, more scoring depth would be nice, but good playoff players will perform well whether there's a stacked second line or not. The Sedins were basically ineffective three out of four series when we had the highest scoring team in the NHL.

Make all the excuses for them you want, the Sedins are terrible in the playoffs and the entire league knows it.
What do you base that on? their ppg in the playoffs? I hope not, as almost every player sees a drop in ppg in the playoffs. Except the 3rd or 4th liner who has the best 10 games of his career on a cup run. But, the big dogs almost always drop in ppg.
The twins have always been quiet players. even nights that they get 3 points, they often seem to be not dominating.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

LOL, not a problem tant.

It all comes down to this... I'm not satisfied with the Sedins' performance in the playoffs the last three years. Some people are, fair enough.

Their game is IMO just not suited to the playoffs and it's been frustrating to watch... it takes more than the odd assist to be considered a playoff performer. I'm not convinced that a stacked second line is going to suddenly make them better. And when you're taking up 12 million in cap space a stacked second line is probably a bit of a pipe dream anyway.

I do think splitting them up this season and getting some size and grit on their wings is a good idea.