Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Post by dbr »

ukcanuck wrote:I like botchfords column in the province, trade luongo for dopietro
http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=8458051
I believe the Isles are cheap enough to lose a trade badly if it means saving them a $30m buyout but would they offer up enough to make it worth it to the Canucks?

I think you'd need two or three pretty darn good prospects and an impact NHL player at the very least.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I have a hard time believing the Aquilinis would be willing to eat that massive Dipietro buyout. Isn't it like $1.5M for 16 years? They'd probably rather give Luongo away, and tell Gillis to figure shit out.

The Islanders have been my wild assed guess at where 7uon8o will end up for a while now. If they had any decent goaltending, whatsoever, they would've beaten the Pens. No way in hell does Aquilini take back Dipietro though.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

herb wrote:I have a hard time believing the Aquilinis would be willing to eat that massive Dipietro buyout. Isn't it like $1.5M for 16 years? They'd probably rather give Luongo away, and tell Gillis to figure shit out.
Yeah that's exactly what it is.

Although, they were willing to give Roberto $1.4m over his cap hit for quite a long time. Bieksa is earning over his cap hit, so is Garrison, so is Booth and now Edler too..

Honestly when you look at it as just paying 2-3% over the cap (for quite a long time) it doesn't seem nearly as egregious as having to put up $24m in cash this summer. For a franchise making tens of millions a year it's pretty doable.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

dbr wrote:
herb wrote:I have a hard time believing the Aquilinis would be willing to eat that massive Dipietro buyout. Isn't it like $1.5M for 16 years? They'd probably rather give Luongo away, and tell Gillis to figure shit out.
Yeah that's exactly what it is.

Although, they were willing to give Roberto $1.4m over his cap hit for quite a long time. Bieksa is earning over his cap hit, so is Garrison, so is Booth and now Edler too..

Honestly when you look at it as just paying 2-3% over the cap (for quite a long time) it doesn't seem nearly as egregious as having to put up $24m in cash this summer. For a franchise making tens of millions a year it's pretty doable.
Yes, it seems unlikely, unless the Aquilini's do a cost/benefit analysis that the move will get them 3-6 more playoff home dates and pay for itself, and more over the years. Who knows if that is the way it would actually work out, but if the move actually improved the team such that they were a 2nd round regular (I'm not even talking Cup finalist etc) then the playoff rev could be worth it. Still, I wouldn't be betting the farm, or even my backyard garden, on this move actually happening. To be sure, Darren Dreger will do all he can to kill it the very idea of it...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:Yeah that's exactly what it is.

Boston Canucker wrote:Yes, it seems unlikely, unless the Aquilini's do a cost/benefit analysis that the move will get them 3-6 more playoff home dates and pay for itself, and more over the years. Who knows if that is the way it would actually work out, but if the move actually improved the team such that they were a 2nd round regular (I'm not even talking Cup finalist etc) then the playoff rev could be worth it. Still, I wouldn't be betting the farm, or even my backyard garden, on this move actually happening. To be sure, Darren Dreger will do all he can to kill it the very idea of it...
It just seems wrong as the buyout term is so ridiculous. Commiting themselves to $24M, for basically nothing, would be an interesting sell to any businessman, but you're right, who knows what the actual team budget is. It's probably closer to $100M, so $1.5M isn't really all that much. FWIW, $1.5M over 16 years still represents a negative NPV today of nearly $14M...
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

The Islanders have been my wild assed guess at where 7uon8o will end up for a while now. If they had any decent goaltending, whatsoever, they would've beaten the Pens. No way in hell does Aquilini take back Dipietro though.
If the Canucks cannot trade RL straight up, then here is the solution: Put him on waivers.

If he's taken, problem solved.

If not taken: bury him in the minors, pay his salary until his "out" clause kicks in, which I believe is in year 5 of his contract. So at most the Canucks will have to pay RL for 3 more years, at which time he'll be itching to exercise his out clause and get another shot at the NHL.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Zedlee wrote:If the Canucks cannot trade RL straight up, then here is the solution: Put him on waivers.

If not taken: bury him in the minors, pay his salary until his "out" clause kicks in, which I believe is in year 5 of his contract. So at most the Canucks will have to pay RL for 3 more years, at which time he'll be itching to exercise his out clause and get another shot at the NHL.
Roberto Luongo in the AHL is costing his NHL team $4.4m on the cap under the current CBA.

Doesn't matter because he wouldn't clear waivers, but there it is.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Zedlee wrote: If not taken: bury him in the minors, pay his salary until his "out" clause kicks in, which I believe is in year 5 of his contract. So at most the Canucks will have to pay RL for 3 more years, at which time he'll be itching to exercise his out clause and get another shot at the NHL.
Luo is going to be willing to expand his list of teams this summer after the TO debacle.

His out clauses only require him to give a 5 team list that he will be willing to be moved to. I don't think he wants to wait, and if we wait for 3 more years after he's been buried in the minors his value will be even less. "Full NTC (Exception 1: Player can supply five-team trade list following final game of 2013-14, valid through July 15, 2014; Exception 2: If player does not submit trade list as documented in Exception 1, team can request a five-team trade list following final game of 2017-18 season, valid through Sept. 1, 2018. If player submitted a trade list in 2014 and was not moved, team loses right to request trade list in 2018.)"

I'm sure at this point any team East of the Rockies may be on Roberto's list.

If we bury him in the minors not only do the Canucks have to pay his $6.714M per year salary they will still have over $4M counting against the cap. (IIRC)

Getting some young assets and spreading out a buyout over 16 years is far better than burying Luo in the minors. Though I would be surprised if the Aquilini's will be willing to pay anyone that isn't playing for the Canucks that much money.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

dbr wrote:
Zedlee wrote:If the Canucks cannot trade RL straight up, then here is the solution: Put him on waivers.

Roberto Luongo in the AHL is costing his NHL team $4.4m on the cap under the current CBA.

Doesn't matter because he wouldn't clear waivers, but there it is.
I thought that a team could avoid a cap hit by sending a guy to the minors...like the Rangers did with Redden for 2 seasons. When did the rule change? If this is true then the Luongo predicament is even WORSE than I thought!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

New CBA Zed.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Topper wrote:New CBA Zed.
thanks Top...guess they wanted to close that "loophole". Holy hell...this IS worse than I thought.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Colorado is now in a different division, so maybe with Roy there that's a potential destination as well.

I honestly think anywhere but Edmonton and Calgary are potential destinations.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

herb wrote:Colorado is now in a different division, so maybe with Roy there that's a potential destination as well.

I honestly think anywhere but Edmonton and Calgary are potential destinations.
Colorado is in our Conference next year.

Per TSN:

CONFERENCE A
Team
Anaheim Ducks
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks
Vancouver Canucks

CONFERENCE B
Team
Chicago Blackhawks
Columbus Blue Jackets
Dallas Stars
Detroit Red Wings
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets

CONFERENCE C
Team
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Florida Panthers
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple leaves

CONFERENCE D
Team
Carolina Hurricanes
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

herb wrote:
It just seems wrong as the buyout term is so ridiculous. Commiting themselves to $24M, for basically nothing, would be an interesting sell to any businessman, but you're right, who knows what the actual team budget is. It's probably closer to $100M, so $1.5M isn't really all that much. FWIW, $1.5M over 16 years still represents a negative NPV today of nearly $14M...
If you can pry out some of the Isles solid prospects to move Lou for the equivalent of asswipe money to the Aquilinis I'd say you take a good hard look at it.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Aaron, that's an old one. Here is the new realignment as of this year: