Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
7%
Edler
25%
Booth
26%
Higgins
5%
Bieksa
9%
Ballard
26%
Hamhuis
1%
None of the above
1%

Total votes : 173

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Per » Fri May 31, 2013 8:00 am

Rumsfeld wrote:He gets questioned about heart and battle because he's a fucking pussy in a league where being a leader demands not being a pussy. Deal with it.

Rumsfeld wrote: Not to worry, our pinchfaced faggot of a captain will surely exhibit his wrath with the officials when he has two assists in a four game sweep next season.

That tunnel better look out, sticks are gonna totally get tossed when it's all over.

Rumsfeld wrote:No seriously, you'll be all like wow, he's mad.

It will really lessen the sting of getting owned again.*

*I know I'm going overboard here, but someone told me it's asshole month and I'm going elbow-deep on Henrik's well-plowed gaper. Maybe if go deep enough I'll find a heart

:|

So, is this what you call fandom?

You belittle and mock the captain of the team you supposedly root for.

The same captain that is the all time points leader of the Canucks. 34 points ahead of his brother, 36 ahead of Näslund, 59 points ahead of Linden, despite having played 200 games less than Linden.

The same captain that captained this team to the two only President's trophies they have ever won, ie, as long as we haven't won the cup, the greatest achievement of all time of this team. They actually went all the way to game seven of the Stanley Cup final, and mind you, with the same type of refereeing as we saw in the regular season, they would have beaten the Bruins.

This is the captain you choose to belittle.

The same captain that has the single season points record of the Canucks, 112 points, two more than Bure managed back in the high scoring era.

The same captain that despite not really being a goal scorer has scored just as many game winning goals as Trevor Linden, 33, but in 200 fewer games. Can you spell c-l-u-t-c-h?

The same captain that became the first Canuck ever to win Art Ross and the only Canuck so far to win Hart.

The same captain who is the highest scoring NHL player of the 21st century.

The same captain that is currently holding 7th place in the longest iron man streak of all time, not just for the Canucks but for the entire league. If he plays one more game he'll tie for 6th place, and if he can stay healthy six games longer than Bouwmeister he'll be fifth. Of all time. Only 19 NHL players have ever played 500 or more consecutive games. Henrik has played 629. This is not a player who complains. He is tough as nails. He grins and bears it. When he injured his pinkie finger during the playoffs in the SEL with Modo, he was told he'd have to rest two weeks if they fixed it, so he chose to have part of it amputated instead and didn't miss a game. What a pussy, eh? :hmmm:

I mean, seriously, you call yourself a fan?

Why don't you pack your purse and head over to Calpuck.
I think that place would suit you much better.

Not a flame, mind you, just an observation.

You see, this board is actually meant for people who support the Canucks.
If you don't know what support means, go look it up.
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Orcasfan » Fri May 31, 2013 8:21 am

Thank you, Per! Couldn't have said it better myself. Idiots like that Rumsfeld pollute the streams they wade into! And, by the way, I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments of our Captain - simply the best Canuck ever!
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Postby mpp » Fri May 31, 2013 8:42 am

Thank you, Per.

I don't post much, just lurk, although for many years (referring to the Canucks Central era). My observation for those who give a damn about it: the Bruins did not break the Canucks, they broke Canucks fans. Some of us never got over the frustration and thrive on negativity. Hard not to, if there is only one way to remove such frustration - winning the cup. Might take some time, even if you ice the best team of the year - things happen, you're all smart enough to know what I mean.

The amount of negativity spewing here recently is close to unbearable. Do a freaking reality check. Canucks problems are first world problems of the NHL, do others and yourself a favor and notice that. Criticize what's wrong, fret for controversies, discuss your whatnots, yes, by all means yes - but maintain a slightest amount of humility and perspective, for fuck's sake. This is a fan forum, not a fap circle for masochists.
mpp
CC Veteran

Postby herb » Fri May 31, 2013 9:06 am

Ahh, the old Sedins and toughness conversation.

It's been clear for years that the Sedins are not muckers, which is why management needs to give them some help.

I think it's pretty damn clear now that they can't be counted on as the go to guys. They are very good players, but they are not generational talents. They need help.

Gillis needs to:
- Get a big, talented 30 goal winger to play with Kesler.
- Find a coach who is willing to split up the twins to give the lineup a different look.
- Dump Lapierre and move Burrows for some of the help we need.
- Find a big third line centre.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Fri May 31, 2013 9:21 am

I believe the Sedins are tough. The cycle game along the boards and the punishment it entails is ample proof of that. What is also clear is that they do not elevate their game come playoff time. Like it or not, they play at a consistent level, regular season or playoffs.

They do have difficulty making space for themselves through the neutral zone and pass to set spots on the ice. This has made their transition game and zone entry predictable.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby herb » Fri May 31, 2013 10:03 am

Topper, the twins don't make the boards go boom therefore they are pussies.

You're right though. They get hit, they get knocked down, but they are very durable and absorb or avoid hits very well. They don't avoid contact, rather they are eager to engage.

It's all relative, of course. Are guys like Krejci and Bergeron tough, or do they just play on the big bad Bruins?

FWIW, I don't think the twins are any less "tough" then other players they are comparable to like Thornton, Marleau, Getzlaf, Perry, Toews, Backstrom, Kane, Koivu, etc.

The issue with this team is that the Sedins need to score every night to win.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Uncle dans leg » Fri May 31, 2013 10:06 am

Sedins are excellent punching bags. They can take a shit kicking and typically avoid the injury bug.

But toughness to me and obviously others is where you give and take the punishment...and this is where they suck. There were early comparisons to Forsberg if I recall but the reality is that PF could pay a guy back from time to time. Not every shift, not drop the gloves and wail but he would lay a guy out hard on the wall. This commanded the respect of the weasel and rat crowd.

Why can't a guy who is 6'2" and 200lbs run over a 5'9" weasel? He can. Don't tell me in 12 years in the bigs he hasn't had a chance to do this. They just won't. For whatever reason...and this is why Rummy and myself, among others here feel they are wimps. Not in their nature? Coooome on. Speed bagged by doucebag Marchand is a fucking embarassment.
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Cornuck » Fri May 31, 2013 10:07 am

To me, the issue is that if the Sedin's passing is taken away and they can't score on a clever play, their offense is over. They have spent years perfecting a style of play and it's very likely too late for them to change.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby donlever » Fri May 31, 2013 10:10 am

herb wrote:Topper, the twins don't make the boards go boom therefore they are pussies.

Clearly there is a differing impression of toughness and it could be debated until the end of time (ad nauseum).

Guys don't drive themselves in workouts like the twins do without being tough.

Does that mean that they will bury a fist in a dudes throat.

No, clearly not.

Doesn't make them wimps or pussies though.

No, they're not Milan Lucic (or Henrik Zetterberg if you prefer) tough, we get it.

It's managements job to fill in size, toughness and attitude around them in order to enhance the skills they do possess.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby donlever » Fri May 31, 2013 10:11 am

Cornuck wrote:To me, the issue is that if the Sedin's passing is taken away and they can't score on a clever play, their offense is over. They have spent years perfecting a style of play and it's very likely too late for them to change.

...now this, as opposed to how "tough" they are, we perhaps do need to concern ourselves over.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Fri May 31, 2013 10:15 am

Agreed that the league has adapted to their style of play and I strongly agree that watching them take and take and take and never give is infuriating.

Other than that, it's the same argument as every year. The team is better with the twins than without at this point, so what should management be doing to make the team better? My answer is to augment Kesler's line and make it more of a 1st line to take the emphasis away from the Sedins. Heck, if we could have the luxury of splitting up the twins and spreading out the purse swinging, even better.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Fri May 31, 2013 10:18 am

donlever wrote:
Cornuck wrote:To me, the issue is that if the Sedin's passing is taken away and they can't score on a clever play, their offense is over. They have spent years perfecting a style of play and it's very likely too late for them to change.

...now this, as opposed to how "tough" they are, we perhaps do need to concern ourselves over.

Even more reason to attempt to reinvent the team by splitting them up.

Not saying that's necessarily the answer or the only answer, but we seem to have some issues that could potentially be remedied by remixing our top 6.

The Sedins have become predictable, pass too much and never shoot. Kesler's line has no playmakers, shoots too much and is missing high level talent.

Hmm. The Sedins are clearly all world playmakers with incredible vision and anticipation. Give them a new challenge I say.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Uncle dans leg » Fri May 31, 2013 10:20 am

herb wrote:Heck, if we could have the luxury of splitting up the twins and spreading out the purse swinging, even better.

Bingo! I feel this is the only way to thrive with them in Canucks colours moving forward. They need some balls on their seperate lines.

Have I said this before???
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby donlever » Fri May 31, 2013 10:39 am

herb wrote: Hmm. The Sedins are clearly all world playmakers with incredible vision and anticipation. Give them a new challenge I say.

..it is unfathomable to me how Hank can win an Art Ross and MVP with his brother missing 31 games and Canuck coaches/management can't see this as an opportunity to use their skills on different lines to enhance their use as opposed to allow them to bang their heads against the wall versus a league that clearly appears to have figured them out.

We'll see with the next guy I suppose.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby nuckster » Fri May 31, 2013 10:45 am

Uncle dans leg wrote:
herb wrote:Heck, if we could have the luxury of splitting up the twins and spreading out the purse swinging, even better.

Bingo! I feel this is the only way to thrive with them in Canucks colours moving forward. They need some balls on their seperate lines.

Have I said this before???

Why not just attempt to make them our second line and find a way to de-emphasize them as our #1. Imagine creating a productive 1st line then having the Sedins as our second line option? It would help create a dynamic where they weren't required to face the other teams #1 line and defense paring...could have a nice effect. Food for thought.
cc oldtimer
nuckster
CC 2nd Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat