New rules - better or worse??

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

So far ... how do you think the new rules are faring in the NHL ??

The new rules have improved the game.
50%
The new rules have made the game worse.
No votes
There has been no change to the game.
No votes
Its too early to tell if the new rules have made the game better or worse.
50%

Total votes: 14

Grizzly
MVP
MVP

New rules - better or worse??

Post by Grizzly »

Still pretty early in ... but just interested in some thoughts so far on the new rules and the overall play & excitement of the games.

Grizz
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

i definitley think that its too early to tell, i think that if the refs can still call all the obstruction come christmas time and the scoring is still up, then you can make an informed decision but its strange, i swear that with the new rules there have also been way more shutouts...is that just me or what?
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Too early (I hope) to tell.

Combine the uncertainy of the players with the new rule and a year or so away fro the NHL, and you have a bunch of guys getting into shape, playing tentatively and not quite ready for the full-contact, NHL games.

I say wait til after Christmas.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

I agree we need to give it some more time to make a definative statement, but so far I would say it is marginally better. Games seem to be a lot faster without 500 stoppages for icing, 2 line pass, putting it into the crowd, etc. Lot of good end to end type action and rushes that actually result in chances, but it seems a lot less physical. Should find a happy medium with time.
JonnyLaRue
AHL Prospect

Post by JonnyLaRue »

While I agree that it is too early to tell I am getting tired of the parade to the box (especially exemplified by the last two games). How much real 5 on5 hockey can be played when there is 15 penalties a game? I hope the players will adjust and play cleaner so less penalties will be called. I am getting the feeling, however, that come playoff time the new crack down will get thrown out and clutch-and-grab hockey will return. Clutch and grab is just as annoying as parade to the box so hopefully the players will condition themselves to stay out of the box.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

I voted "too early" but i have the feeling that the impact of the changes isn't as much drastical as some believed so far and i doubt that will change.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Heavy_P
AHL Prospect

Post by Heavy_P »

They seem to be better then I thought they would. I love the no red line. The only thing I don't really like is the shootouts, but hey, maybe I'll change my mind later.
"No, if your jaw were broken, you would'nt be able to talk...and my life would be much easier." - Oracle
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

I think the "too early" choice is a cop-out since the poll is titled "SO FAR...How do you think the new rules are faring in the NHL?"

Therefore, the results should read:

Game is better = 100%
Game is worse = 0%
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I think the "too early" choice is a cop-out since the poll is titled "SO FAR...How do you think the new rules are faring in the NHL?"
lol ... yeah technically you are right ... !! Personally though I also think it is too early to tell if it will have a lasting good effect as so much is going to depend on whether or not the officals call the rules consistently but ... SO FAR ... i have thought the games to be quicker with more scoring chances. Other than the tons of penalties that have been called ... I think the pace is probably quicker overall.

Cookie wrote:
I voted "too early" but i have the feeling that the impact of the changes isn't as much drastical as some believed so far and i doubt that will change.
Hey Cookie ... why do you think that that the changes won't be as drastic as some have believed ?? Do you think that the coaches will "figure" out new systems to combat the extra room etc. or do you think that the officials are going to let things slip again ??

Grizz
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

Do you think that the coaches will "figure" out new systems to combat the extra room etc
I think you are going to see the coaches come up with a "trap-like" way of screwing the system and then they are going to have to resort to even newer rules later on down the road to increase scoring which is going to suck but theres always someone who finds a way to screw the system and then everyone hops on
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Grizzly wrote:Hey Cookie ... why do you think that that the changes won't be as drastic as some have believed ?? Do you think that the coaches will "figure" out new systems to combat the extra room etc. or do you think that the officials are going to let things slip again ??
Neither. The two key words are "feeling" and "drastically". ;)

I mean it's still hockey and not a new invented game. Surely there are light changes and of course it's a mixture of all things combined that make it nearly the same game as before. I for myself don't think the old NHL was as bad as some are claiming in the same way the new NHL won't be so much better than the old.

It's like ying and yang, if you take something you have to give it the same way. :D

For example there are some critics that there's too much penalties, again too less flow because of it but on the other side more goals. So you can change it like you want generally pros and contras for anything will stay the same.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'