Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond...

Postby Per » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Playoffs are almost over here. For the first time ever, the two Northernmost SEL teams square off for the title; Skellefteå AIK vs Luleå Hockey.

Skellefteå has taken a strong lead, winning the first three games, 1-0 at home, 4-2 away and 2-1 at home.
It's beginning to look as a sweep, even though all games have really been pretty close, Skellefteå has the better goaltending.

I'm a bit torn. Even if I like the idea that it's a northern team winning - it's freaking Skellefteå. The sworn arch enemy of Björklöven. They've only won the Swedish championship once, in 1978, so it's been 35 years. Björklöven has also just won once, in 1987. If they get a second title, we'll never hear the end of it. :(

Oh, btw, Skellefteå has this kid, Arvidsson, that you should really take a look at. Not drafted yet either.
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Tiger » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Go AIK:).. nothing personal Pers.. but I am in Bangkok Thailand and my favorite bar/restaurant is owned
by a stanch AIK supporter ( he also sponsors a team here I help coach) If AIK wins its free beer for at least a
couple nights :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Per » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Tiger wrote:Go AIK:).. nothing personal Pers.. but I am in Bangkok Thailand and my favorite bar/restaurant is owned
by a stanch AIK supporter ( he also sponsors a team here I help coach) If AIK wins its free beer for at least a
couple nights :)

You may have to double check though... Is it AIK, from Stockholm, or Skellefteå AIK, from Skellefteå?
The two teams wear almost identical uniforms, but they're not the same team.
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Per » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:13 pm

Anyways, Skellefteå beat Luleå 4-0 tonight, which means they swept the final and won in four games.
Interestingly enough coached by former Canuck Bert Robertsson.
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Uncle dans leg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Per wrote:Anyways, Skellefteå beat Luleå 4-0 tonight, which means they swept the final and won in four games.
Interestingly enough coached by former Canuck Bert Robertsson.

Bert! Here I was thinking he was still in the minors :wow:
Where have all the years gone anyways?
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Boy thanks Pair, I was on the edge of my seat wondering how Skellefteå was doing this year.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Per » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:Boy thanks Pair, I was on the edge of my seat wondering how Skellefteå was doing this year.

Then I'm sure you're equally excited about Ässät becoming Finnish champions - also for the first time since 1978.

Hm... Makes me wonder... Who won Stanley Cup in 1978?
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Per » Wed May 29, 2013 3:14 pm

The Swedish Elite League has decided to scrap the rule allowing no more than two non-European players.
I expect to see a fair amount of AHLers take the ice in Sweden next winter.

Brynäs just signed Greg Scott of the Toronto Marlies.

Anyway, about time they scrapped the rule. Discrimination is a bad thing, and every team should attempt to ice the best team they can, regardless of what passport the players have.

Rumour says that Björklöven are trying to get Andrew Raycroft to sign on for them... :o
He spent last season in Italy, so, perhaps not completely inconceivable.
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Arachnid » Wed May 29, 2013 3:19 pm

Per wrote:The Swedish Elite League has decided to scrap the rule allowing no more than two non-European players.
I expect to see a fair amount of AHLers take the ice in Sweden next winter.

Brynäs just signed Greg Scott of the Toronto Marlies.

Anyway, about time they scrapped the rule. Discrimination is a bad thing, and every team should attempt to ice the best team they can, regardless of what passport the players have.

Rumour says that Björklöven are trying to get Andrew Raycroft to sign on for them... :o
He spent last season in Italy, so, perhaps not completely inconceivable.

It will be quite the riot in the Smorgasbord league next year...
Socks are dead puppets :(
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Orcasfan » Wed May 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks for the update, Per. I wish I could watch some of those Swedish teams (no way where I live, unfortunately...unless there were some internet service out of Europe?). Anyway, I assume you're referring to Viktor Arvidsson...he looks a bit small at 5' 9". and 170 lbs. Looks like he has skill, but his size will probably eliminate him as a possibility over here.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu May 30, 2013 12:58 pm

Orcasfan wrote:Thanks for the update, Per. I wish I could watch some of those Swedish teams (no way where I live, unfortunately...unless there were some internet service out of Europe?). Anyway, I assume you're referring to Viktor Arvidsson...he looks a bit small at 5' 9". and 170 lbs. Looks like he has skill, but his size will probably eliminate him as a possibility over here.

LOL, you actually want to watch internet-streamed second-tier Swedish league games?

:lol:
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Puck » Fri May 31, 2013 10:00 am

I dunno Rumsfeld, you bother to read and comment on issues you at least pretend to have complete disdain for, who's to say what Orcasfan might do with his time.
Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Uncle dans leg » Fri May 31, 2013 11:29 am

SEL games are pretty entertaining. During the lockout I caught quite a few(mostly AIK to follow Jensen) and was impressed.

The big ice is more skating and positioning but bodychecks are far and few between.
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Fri May 31, 2013 12:36 pm

Daniel summed up the Swedish game plan at the WC is a single word, "boring".
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Rumsfeld » Fri May 31, 2013 12:43 pm

Topper wrote:Daniel summed up the Swedish game plan at the WC is a single word, "boring".

Yeah, my experience with Swedes in general is that they are a very boring people. Just one of the many reasons nobody includes the shithole on their list of places to visit when they're touring Europe.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat