Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Vader »

Is Tom part of the core Gillis likes so much?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

donlever wrote:It's 5 months until the season, as Topper says there is no coach, and GMMG feels the need to spend 3/4 of a mill from a shrinking cap on a player who will likely be around to sign later regardless.

Is his mandate and responsibility not to improve via examining all avenues first.

I mean I get what you are saying, in the grand scheme it is meh I suppose but its odd moves like this that make me wonder what the fuck GMMG is up to sometimes.
Yeah. It's fair to wonder why make a commitment to a plug like Sestito, no disagreement on that.

If I make an attempt to be charitable in thinking about it my guess would be that you could sign five contracts like the one they handed out today and odds are none of them would cause you any significant problems down the line. I would guess that the idea is that you're better signing a guy in May that you think should be worth $750k than it is to hope one hits waivers in February or March if you know what I mean.

Maybe there's better players at this price point (or not much more) later this summer, if the Canucks pass on an opportunity like the one they seized in 2010 getting Raffi Torres for $1m then I'd be pissed about them falling all over themselves to sign Sestito. But to continue the Hordichuk analogy, Darcy sure as shit didn't stop them from adding legitimate NHL players even though they eventually forced him off the roster..
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Aaronp18 wrote:But it would mean a 4th line playing for probably less than $3M.
I've done some number crunching out of curiousity, and having a 4th line for less than $3M is almost a certainty. In fact, I bet our fourth line and 13th forward will come in at just over $3M. As an example, Lain, Weise, Sestito and Pinizzotto come in at $3.1M.

I'm also getting a feeling that Lain may be our 4th line centre to start the season. Why not, I guess? Presumably somebody could get picked up to start the year at relatively low cost (Halpern was a waiver pick up this past year IIRC), and Lapierre is probably gonzo (and good riddance).

As far as Sestito goes, I don't mind him, just seems like a strange move with it being over one month to go until July 1st, and a two year deal, and a raise.

Will it materially affect Gillis' ability to ice an effective roster? Not likely, just seems a bit odd. If UFA Sestito is worth $750k. what is RFA Weise worth?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

dbr wrote:
....But to continue the Hordichuk analogy, Darcy sure as shit didn't stop them from adding legitimate NHL players even though they eventually forced him off the roster..
We have a somewhat different cap situation now though do we not?

Further are we not now married to this guy at this rate for two years so pushing him off the roster is moot?

So say a Dwight King or Jordan Nolan clone comes along (in August lets hypothesize) which would result in a big improvement we are now stuck with both contracts right?
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

herb wrote: I've done some number crunching out of curiousity, and having a 4th line for less than $3M is almost a certainty. In fact, I bet our fourth line and 13th forward will come in at just over $3M. As an example, Lain, Weise, Sestito and Pinizzotto come in at $3.1M.

Next year especially this is going to have to be a must.

Once the cap bounces back we can explore other options. I'm fine with having some rookies grind their way onto our 4th line. Maybe it'll bring some much needed energy to our lineup.

We just aren't going to be able to bury millions on the 4th line or the press-box. It's going to be squeezing every dollar for what it's worth with the cap dropping.

I was also listening to 1040 yesterday around 5:30 and they had someone on (can't recall who but not one of the usual suspects - Botch, Willes, etc.) and he said from what he understood buyouts were a non-starting point with the Aquilini's. It's not happening, if Gillis doesn't want someone on the team he's going to have to trade them.

It was also said that the AV firing was not a tough sell to ownership as they didn't approve of several of the coaching moves, especially this season. Gillis sold them on spending to pick-up Garrison much in part due to his PP prowess, which AV refused to utilize. They also did not like the handling of Kassian and thought he should have gotten a longer look as a top 6 player, or at least another look later in the season. Also have never been really happy about Ballard being a healthy scratch.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Sort of like the rest of us..hmm
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

donlever wrote:We have a somewhat different cap situation now though do we not?

Further are we not now married to this guy at this rate for two years so pushing him off the roster is moot?

So say a Dwight King or Jordan Nolan clone comes along (in August lets hypothesize) which would result in a big improvement we are now stuck with both contracts right?
We were over the cap all year long in 2010-11, many fans waiting for the other shoe to drop on a guy like Kevin Bieksa once we finally got healthy and could not longer tapdance our way around the cap ceiling.

We found a way to get Horny off the roster - he only had one year left at the time though, granted.

If a two year term ends up being the dealbreaker that stops this team from assigning Sestito to an AHL affiliate or dumping him on another team for a confirmed AHLer (a la Hordichuk for .. was it Andrew Peters?) then that is going to suck. I don't think the changes of that are all that great though personally.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

dbr wrote: I don't think the changes of that are all that great though personally.
lol, it's been so long since I've done this that I clearly can't take a proper position here.

I guess what I am trying to say is that yes, I see your point and agree that the move is minimalistic when compared to the larger cause.

But it seems to me GMMG need not have done this so early in the proceedings when other opportunities, potentially better ones, may arise over the next 20 weeks or so.

It is more of a concern with what exactly is this ex-player agent up to in those Orca Bay offices as opposed to being an indictment of Tom Sestito.
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Fair enough don.

Ex-corner poster Fred liked to accuse Mike Gillis of overthinking things, trying to be too clever, reinventing the wheel when the conventional approach would probably do just fine.

In this case I think your view is similar and pretty fair - it's hard to see the wisdom of this move right now and maybe those of us on the outside looking in never will.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

tantalum wrote:Canucks signed Dman Henrik Tommernes to a ELC.

Played with Frolunda in the SEL (16 points in 54 games). 179 games of SEL experience.

Round 7 (#210) pick from the 2011 draft. 6' Dman so perhaps a bit undersized.

From that draft the canucks have signed Jensen (Winger, 26th overall), Grenier (winger, 90th), Corrado (Dman, 150th), Blomstrand (winger, 120th) and Tommernes (D-man, 210th) to ELCs

edit: Also in this draft were Honzik (G) and LaBate (center). Labate is still in college and has not turned pro.
Tömmernes received a lot of praise this season. I doubt he's NHL ready, but he is a pretty good offensive D-man with a decent point shot, who actually seems to score more during the playoffs than the regular season. :o

Shoots left though. :(

I suppose he will need a year on the farm - wherever that will be - before he makes the lineup, but I do think in time he could be an asset to the team. Has been one of the better D-men in Frölunda and has been getting time on the national team as well, but not when it matters. Still, must mean those in charge of the national team think he has potential.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10018
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

donlever wrote:
dbr wrote:But it seems to me GMMG need not have done this so early in the proceedings when other opportunities, potentially better ones, may arise over the next 20 weeks or so.
Exactly.

There is the Luongo trade, where the return is still TBD (who knows, could be a Nolan or King as part of the return) and there are also Gillis pick-ups Archibald and Mallet that have been rising the ranks somewhat.

Anyway, ownership hasn't shown to be averse to eating one way contracts in the AHL. Heck, just this year Ebbett and Vandermeer got paid NHL salaries to toil with the Wolves.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Aaronp18 wrote:We just aren't going to be able to bury millions on the 4th line or the press-box. It's going to be squeezing every dollar for what it's worth with the cap dropping.
Gillis is definitely going to have to utilize his dollars a lot more wisely this year. Last year was a disaster with over $16M in players injured or sitting most games (Malhotra, Ballard, Luongo and Booth).
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:Anyway, ownership hasn't shown to be averse to eating one way contracts in the AHL. Heck, just this year Ebbett and Vandermeer got paid NHL salaries to toil with the Wolves.
In any case, at least or I hope we won't have to see MG shore up the ahl farm team, like he loved to do in years prior.

I remember in one early offseason all we seen were AHL fodder moves, stacked the Wolves with career farm team superstars.

imo it seems like the ownership group wants a more proactive Gillis this summer, to finally make some neccessary but difficult changes.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

dbr wrote:Fair enough don.

Ex-corner poster Fred liked to accuse Mike Gillis of overthinking things, trying to be too clever, reinventing the wheel when the conventional approach would probably do just fine.

In this case I think your view is similar and pretty fair - it's hard to see the wisdom of this move right now and maybe those of us on the outside looking in never will.
herb wrote: Anyway, ownership hasn't shown to be averse to eating one way contracts in the AHL. Heck, just this year Ebbett and Vandermeer got paid NHL salaries to toil with the Wolves.
Aside from the Sestito contract being a distraction from more important issues (wagging the dog), this seems to be a non-issue. His contract is under the max. 900k$ cap. space that a team can save by demoting a player to the minors.

PS - Hope Fred is doing OK.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Aaronp18 wrote: I was also listening to 1040 yesterday around 5:30 and he said from what he understood buyouts were a non-starting point with the Aquilini's. It's not happening, if Gillis doesn't want someone on the team he's going to have to trade them.
Going to be interesting to see how he can manage to trade Ballard then, thought for sure he would be a prime candidate for a compliance buyout.
Gillis best chance for all this work would be at the draft then.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.