2013 Playoffs - Round 2 Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: 2013 Playoffs - Round 2 Discussion

Post by Benjo »

Torey Krug - 4g 1a in 5 games in his first taste of playoffs. Where the hell did this guy come from.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Benjo wrote:Torey Krug - 4g 1a in 5 games in his first taste of playoffs. Where the hell did this guy come from.
Perhaps the same place as John Druce. :P
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Lancer wrote:
Benjo wrote:Torey Krug - 4g 1a in 5 games in his first taste of playoffs. Where the hell did this guy come from.
Perhaps the same place as John Druce. :P
Kesler & Modano town
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
Mëds wrote: Ummm who have the Canucks thrown huge money at to sign off of the UFA market?

The team we see here today has been built from within or via trade.

In a cap era it doesn't apply, but I still hate teams that have tried to do it before with their deeper pockets.
i.e. Hamhius, Garrison, Sundin, not to mention the fat contracts he gave the players he inherited. Don't matter...where are the Canucks amongst the rest of the league on spending? I will save you the trouble, 1st overall - http://capgeek.com/# Does that not somewhat equate to trying to buy a championship?

Boy, talk about a massive failure, the team with the biggest payroll gets knocked out of the first round of the NHL playoffs two years in a row.
As I said, in a cap system like this over half of the teams can easily afford to shell out the same in payroll. The precap era Rangers were simply stacked and the disparity between their payroll and many other teams was huge.

Hamhuis and Garrison both wanted to come to Vancouver and both of them signed below the market value they could have found elsewhere. Philly and Pittsburgh both burned draft picks acquiring Hamhuis' rights before the July 1st UFA deadline.

Yes he threw money at Sundin, but I don't think that was to buy a championship, it was to send a message that the Canucks were going to be major market players in this new salary cap world.

The contracts he gave to the players he inherited were all less than what those players would have gotten had they tested the free agency waters.

The NTCs are problematic now.

Regardless, your case is unmade by your own points.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Boy, talk about a massive failure, the team with the biggest payroll gets knocked out of the first round of the NHL playoffs two years in a row.
:shock:

What.The.Fuck. has happened to our team for fuck sakes...no wonder the entire hockey universe hates the Canucks

Exhibit A.

I mean for real? They made a fuckin hat for that shit????
Some folks must be retarded enough to buy one.

It's a business.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Mëds wrote: Ummm who have the Canucks thrown huge money at to sign off of the UFA market?

The team we see here today has been built from within or via trade.

In a cap era it doesn't apply, but I still hate teams that have tried to do it before with their deeper pockets.
i.e. Hamhius, Garrison, Sundin, not to mention the fat contracts he gave the players he inherited. Don't matter...where are the Canucks amongst the rest of the league on spending? I will save you the trouble, 1st overall - http://capgeek.com/# Does that not somewhat equate to trying to buy a championship?

As I said, in a cap system like this over half of the teams can easily afford to shell out the same in payroll. The precap era Rangers were simply stacked and the disparity between their payroll and many other teams was huge.
It is worth pointing out that the Canucks never PLAYED with the highest payroll in hockey. Kesler was out at the start of the season. Luongo spent a majority of the season as the backup. Ballard spent a lot of time in the pressbox. Manny was injured a good chunk of time. As was Booth.

This team PLAYED most games with the same on-ice payroll of the Nashville Predators or Florida Panthers. Gillis needs to be held accountable for the make-up of this team, but anyone saying AV (going on his 8th year here with a 1-8 playoff record last 2 seasons) should be here instead of MG is right the fuck out of er.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Rangers gone, wonder is this is the end of Torts as the coach.

Just like here the story gets old and time to move on with a different approach.

Ottawa is doing fine, their big issue this year was injuries.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Reefer2 wrote:
Ottawa is doing fine, their big issue this year was injuries.
Agreed, they are so damn young their future is looking bright. Cowen, Conacher, Turris, Pageau, Zibenadjdjad and Karlsson are a solid group of young guys.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Benjo wrote:
Reefer2 wrote: Ottawa is doing fine, their big issue this year was injuries.
Agreed, they are so damn young their future is looking bright. Cowen, Conacher, Turris, Pageau, Zibenadjdjad and Karlsson are a solid group of young guys.
Canucks should steal their scouts, out of all of our scouts I'd just keep Thomas Gradin, or at least just get better scouts for the WHL imo.
-
Penguins were smart though, they saved cap space this season iirc and were able to trade for veterans to surround their core with good, viable players.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

That Voynov from the kings is pretty good. Zubov 2.0...
If you need air...call it in
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Damn L.A.... in the end I was kinda hope'n the Sharks would pull it off just to get some fresh blood in the Final 4

Quick was Quicker...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Very happy to see the Sharks exit before the conference finals.

While there are a few players on the Kings that I really don't care for, and I really would rather not see Brown hoist another Cup, he's done it once and his name is already etched on there forever, so what the hell do I care. All I know for sure that I don't want to see Thornton, Boyle, Niemi, Burish, Wingels, or Pavelski, winning it (again in some of their cases).

Tortorella called out Jumbo Joe a couple of seasons ago saying he could go down as being one of the better players in this league to never win anything, so he (Thornton) should just shut up.

I've always considered Thornton to be a world class player, a premiere setup man, but a classless bum on the ice. I hate skilled players who throw the cheap hits, and disrespect their opponents the way Thornton does on the ice.

He's won an Art Ross and a Hart, but other than that I hope Joe wins absolutely jack shit in the NHL.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Island Nucklehead wrote: This team PLAYED most games with the same on-ice payroll of the Nashville Predators or Florida Panthers. Gillis needs to be held accountable for the make-up of this team, but anyone saying AV (going on his 8th year here with a 1-8 playoff record last 2 seasons) should be here instead of MG is right the fuck out of er.
Gillis absolutely needs to be held accountable.

In terms of their ability to perform, if you look at the bad contracts the Canucks had this year, it really is a lot of cap money not being put to good use.
- Ballard was a bad trade and it's even worse that he's still around. Abort. Pull the chute. Just get rid of him.
- Malhotra got permanently blinded on a fluke play. Not Gillis' fault he can't force guys to wear visors. I think a case could be made for Gillis not finding somebody to fill in for Manny, but at the end of the day they gave Manny one last shot and he couldn't perform. Too bad.
- Luongo may have been traded earlier if it weren't for the lockout, who knows. I think Gillis was banking, at least a bit, on the Luongo trade filling in the Malhotra void. Maybe he gambled a bit here and lost. We'll see what Gillis can get for Luo in the off season, but it may be the case that he should have just taken what he could get back in August.
- Booth got injured, twice, in like a three month season. To my recollection, Booth has not been known as an injury prone guy.

By my count this is over $16M in not well allocated cap money in 2013 ($4.2, 2.5, 5.33 and 4.25). Yikes.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Larry Goodenough wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 03430.html

Fun to watch.
L-O-F-L