2013 Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: 2013 Draft

Post by Arachnid »

Vader wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:I'd expect VCR to pick somewhere around 20-24.
I want VCR to draft 30th
You want a French Russian? :look:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

#24 Ryan Hartman was a damn good forechecker with a tenacious physical element for team USA in Ufa last xmas. I predict he goes earlier than 24, although 5'11" 185lb grinders don't typically transition well to the NHL.
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

New Avs coach/VP Patrick Roy just said on NHL Network, "It's possible that we move our 1st pick. This is something we've been talking about" :o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

SKYO wrote:New Avs coach/VP Patrick Roy just said on NHL Network, "It's possible that we move our 1st pick. This is something we've been talking about" :o
Hrrrrrmmmm...would they take Cory, Ryan and our 1st? Wait! Luo has to go!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Arachnid wrote:
SKYO wrote:New Avs coach/VP Patrick Roy just said on NHL Network, "It's possible that we move our 1st pick. This is something we've been talking about" :o
I doubt we can get the 1st overall, but I think we may have a shot at 3rd overall!

I can see the Avs trade down to 2nd overall and get a 2nd or a roster player from the Panthers.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
I doubt we can get the 1st overall, but I think we may have a shot at 3rd overall!

I can see the Avs trade down to 2nd overall and get a 2nd or a roster player from the Panthers.
I don't see that happening.

If the Avs trade down it will be out of the top 3, if not top 5.

Colorado has some very talented young forwards in their system, many of them just played a 48 game, shortened season at the NHL level. That kind of experience is invaluable.

The weakness, or need, on that team is their back end. You have to think that if they draft first overall they are taking Seth Jones. If they are willing to pass up on him then they are probably looking to add some skilled maturity to a group that was often called out for being apathetic and overly concerned with their summer holiday plans rather than the game they were scheduled to play that night.

The only reason for a team in the top 3 to move up to the first overall is because they want Jones desperately, however, if the Avs are willing to take a pass on Seth Jones, then maybe the team they are dealing with is looking at securing something else too. Take the Canucks for example, if Vancouver managed to make a crazy trade and snag the 1st overall, then, based on the Canucks' needs, Gillis would have to be a COMPLETE ASS HAT to pass up on MacKinnon or Drouin in order to pick up a defenseman when the glaring weakness has been the top 6 forwards group and future of our center position once Henrik no longer fills that top spot.

If the Avalanche trade that pick they will probably be looking to trade down and add somebody like Edler and parts.

Edler + VAN R1 + VAN R2 + _______

for

COL R1 + Cody McLeod

Gives us a hard hitting 4th line LW. Also takes $1M off their payroll and gives them more room in case they would be willing to take a chance on a guy like Booth or Ballard. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's unlikely. Maybe they'd be interested in Yann Sauve? :P
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Not in a million years the Lanche trade away the first pick. They got great young forwards, do not need one, but NEED a defenseman. Quality defenseman are impossible to find and acquire. You'd be nuts to pass up on Jones. Plus isn't Jones from the Colorado area or something like that? Jones presence might finally resurrect Eric Johnson's game as well.

This is a great draft in the top 15 IMO. I'd like to see Gillis move up into that category. Really like this Hovart but he is climbing the rankings like a Google IPO on first day of trading. I think Philly's pick at a 11 or 12 is it could be had for something like Edler or wishful thinking - Luongo if they buy out Bryz or some kind of multi-player trade with the Flyers. Who knows.

I predict Tallon drafts Drouin with the 2nd pick. Fellow french man in Huberdeau. Plus Drouin is a Patrick Kane clown and didn't Tallon draft Kane? Huberdeau and Drouin could be the next Kane/Toews duo in the league. Mckinnon will go to Tampa as Stamkos and McKinnon will lead the way for the Lightning for the next few years.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:Not in a million years the Lanche trade away the first pick. They got great young forwards, do not need one, but NEED a defenseman. Quality defenseman are impossible to find and acquire. You'd be nuts to pass up on Jones. Plus isn't Jones from the Colorado area or something like that? Jones presence might finally resurrect Eric Johnson's game as well.
Yeah, it's highly unlikely they trade down for anything other than a top dman and a solid 2 way forward with experience. Obviously there will also be a pick and maybe some parts going with that.
RD wrote: I predict Tallon drafts Drouin with the 2nd pick. Fellow french man in Huberdeau. Plus Drouin is a Patrick Kane clown and didn't Tallon draft Kane? Huberdeau and Drouin could be the next Kane/Toews duo in the league. Mckinnon will go to Tampa as Stamkos and McKinnon will lead the way for the Lightning for the next few years.
If Yzerman is smart, you're right, he takes MacKinnon. The Bolts will need a setup man to feed Stamkos once Marty retires.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Well, given that the Avs new coach is from the Q, I think they choose McKinnon because Roy has seen that kid dominate his league for a couple of years. And with Burnaby Joe as V-P you have someone who sees the value and attraction (to the fanbase) of offensive stars! The Avs really need a boost for their ticket sales and I think McKinnon gives them that straight away, as opposed to Jones either waiting a couple more years or going through a steep learning curve next year!
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

If Seth Jones is from Colorado then I could easily see the Aves selecting him. Local kid drafted to the local team will get some fans to come back and after a few seasons you'll likely see a huge jump in hockey enrollment in the state, which will further increase ticket sales. You can hear the crickets in that building these days, they need to get some asses in the seats.

That being said if their pick is available Edler isn't the veteran presence that will make their young guys smarten the fuck up.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:Not in a million years the Lanche trade away the first pick. They got great young forwards, do not need one, but NEED a defenseman. Quality defenseman are impossible to find and acquire. You'd be nuts to pass up on Jones. Plus isn't Jones from the Colorado area or something like that? Jones presence might finally resurrect Eric Johnson's game as well.
If Plano, Texas is in the Colorado area.....then yes. :P

He actually spent time in the Denver area, it's where he started playing hockey.

Interesting aside.....

Jones' father, Ronald "Popeye" Jones was an NBA player for the Denver Nuggets while Sakic was ripping it up for the Avalanche. Jones ran into Joe at the Pepsi center where their respective teams played, and as Seth and his brother had started getting into inline hockey and then ice hockey Popeye asked Sakic what he should do to set his kids up to have the best chance to excel at playing hockey. Sakic gave him some tips. Now Burnaby Joe is Executive VP of Colorado's hockey ops, he has the final say on matters regarding hockey personnel.....I guess this means that Joe might now be in a position to draft a kid that he helped put on a path to the NHL over a decade ago.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

If I were drafting top two I'd take MacKinnon first and Jones second. Both look like they'll turn out to be amazing but whenever I see a big young defenseman being heralded as the best player in the draft my brain goes all Victor Hedman on me.

Im sure Jones will turn out to be a stalwart for whichever team drafts him but I can't help but wonder if he hasn't just physically matured earlier than the other top prospects.

Mackinnon looks like the more talented player to me, but I haven't spent hours researching these kids either.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Me neither Rummy, but two thoughts.. one it's a bit early to be closing the book on Hedman (given the conventional wisdom that big men and defensemen take the longest to put it all together, and he's both) and two even if Seth Jones is done maturing physically he's still at a height where he's going to tower over virtually all of his opponents - but his dad is 6'8 and played at 240+ lbs so I'm guessing Seth can add some more strength before all is said and done.

Jones is also a righty, which is something most teams need desperately on their blueline.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Yeah, good points David.

MacKinnon looks like he could be an impact player in the league right out of the gate while Jones would surely have a longer developmental curve.

I think Mackinnon's obvious elite offensive skills make him less of a gamble. You KNOW this kid is going to be pretty special.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If you are going by best player available then the top 5 picks should be none other

Jones
McKinnon
Drouin
Barkov
Nichushkin

The next grouping is pretty much a coin flip

Nurse
Monahan
Lindholm
Horvat
Zadorov

The next grouping

Ristolainen
Lazar
Shinkaruk
Domi
Pulock
Wennberg
Gauthier

The Oilers and Flames may get lucky from the Russian factor and Nichushkin may drop to them, they should not hesitate drafting him as he very well may end up being the best player to come out of this draft.

The Oilers would be crazy not to draft Nurse if he is there and Nichushkin is gone, see no sense in drafting another smallish forward in Lindholm, Domi, Lazar, Shinkaruk.

The Flames should draft Monahan

Avalanche - Jones
Florida - McKinnon
Tampa - Drouin
Carolina - Nichushkin
Nashville - Barkov

I like these rumors that Bob Mackenzie is spilling that the Flyers may buy out Bryz and that Couturier, Schenn may be dangled for a defenseman. I might just be open to trading Edler/Luongo to the Flyers for Couturier or Schenn and Phillies 1st round with us maybe giving them our 1st round pick and or Schroeder. The Flyers 1st round pick is 11th I believe. This is a good draft if you are drafting in the top 15.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau