Telus Optik vs Shaw Digital

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Telus Optik vs Shaw Digital

Post by ClamRussel »

Currently with Shaw for TV and Telus for internet & phone....thinking of consolidating w/ one for a package savings. Both companies are actively out there trying to get everyone to switch. To which one is the big question. From my research both have pros & cons and both have horror stories w/ customer service but I guess that depends on who you get when you call, luck of the draw.

Shaw may have better quality tv & download speeds but their interface is outdated & archaic plus they make you purchase or rent their PVR or digital box. Same with Telus although if you go on a 3 yr contract you get it for free. Telus seems to have better pricing and Shaw seems to have better customer service (at least they're based in the same country which helps).

Telus TV used to be horrible but their new Optik service is getting good reviews. I have heard they don't use true HD feeds but just upscale it so it looks HDish...not positive but a few people have made that claim. I must admit I am being seduced by their free XBox offer right now... Telus is being aggressive w/ pricing & special offers whereas Shaw seems to be offering pretty much nothing other than the usual cheaper for the first few months type deal.

Anyone out there that has experience w/ both especially the new Optik service?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
trouble

Re: Telus Optik vs Shaw Digital

Post by trouble »

Telus service has been on the CRTC radar for a long while now. Yes they are trying to turn it around but i have a friend who has been waiting 4 weeks for Telus to send out someone to setup his new telus service.

The bad news with Telus is you have to sign a contract for 3 years. What happens after one year and the service gets shity or Shaw or Bell or who ever else give Tv service gets better.. You're screwed. You gotta buy your way out of that contract.

Also when you have a few moments read their Contract.. Most contract have very small print and will renew to a one year deal as soon as the the old contract finishes.

My advice.. Stay away from long term contracts and read the small print. Also stay away from companys that give free give aways to get you to sign. There is always a catch.

By the way I'm with Bell and Enjoy their service very much.. HD is by far and away the best i've seen
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I'd probably go w/ Bell as well but I'm in a condo and dont want the hassle of dealing w/ strata to install a dish.

You don't have to sign a contract w/ Telus at all, just if you want the PVR for free and the gifts. Without a contract you just rent or buy your PVR like w/ Shaw.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Fuck the big guys Clamchops, go with the smaller ones if you can http://teksavvy.com/en/default.asp

Better deal all round and they just won a huge CRTC decision about Bell and Co. mofus having to share the wealth.

I know you waaaaaaaaaant it :mex:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Not sure if they're in my area...currently have both Telus & Shaw battling it out and will end up w/ a pretty good deal. Was leaning towards Telus but they were supposed to call yesterday and seal the deal. Guess they don't want it bad enough so I'll probably end up w/ Shaw if they don't get it together. After the research I've done it would seem Telus is definitely the more forward thinking of the 2 and have a great product right now....Shaw is stuck in the 80s like Pratt but they do offer superior customer service of the two.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

ClamRussel wrote:Not sure if they're in my area...currently have both Telus & Shaw battling it out and will end up w/ a pretty good deal. Was leaning towards Telus but they were supposed to call yesterday and seal the deal. Guess they don't want it bad enough so I'll probably end up w/ Shaw if they don't get it together. After the research I've done it would seem Telus is definitely the more forward thinking of the 2 and have a great product right now....Shaw is stuck in the 80s like Pratt but they do offer superior customer service of the two.
Teksavvy is only for phone and internet. They don't offer cable services from what I remember when living in Toronto. For your Canucks viewing pleasure, I say stick with Shaw. If you have the HD package, you'll get the RSN1 as part of it.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Didn't mean to bump an old thread, but does anyone have the contact # for the Shaw sales office in Kelowna (i think)??

Moving, Optik isn't wired and want the best deal.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Seems an odd request whilst one is on line.

However..

Shaw Cablesystems GP

Address: 2350 Hunter Rd, Kelowna, BC V1X 7H6

Phone:(250) 979-6550
DeLevering since 1999.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

donlever wrote:Seems an odd request whilst one is on line.

However..

Shaw Cablesystems GP

Thanks Leves, found that one - it's a fax.

Also called the VP of the Island, oh well -her number is listed. The sales guy cold called me a while back and was to email with more info, but never did. Guess he making his money elsewhere.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

CFP! wrote:
donlever wrote:Seems an odd request whilst one is on line.

However..

Shaw Cablesystems GP

Thanks Leves, found that one - it's a fax.

Also called the VP of the Island, oh well -her number is listed. The sales guy cold called me a while back and was to email with more info, but never did. Guess he making his money elsewhere.

Hmmm, hang on, I'll text my buddy up there...
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Contact Shaw TV Okanagan
Channel 11 Programming Feedback
Phone: (250) 979-6540

Fax: (250) 979-6550

Email: go_okanagan@shaw.ca

Address:
106-1223 Water St.
Kelowna, B.C. V1Y 9V1
DeLevering since 1999.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

donlever wrote:Contact Shaw TV Okanagan
Channel 11 Programming Feedback
Phone: (250) 979-6540

Fax: (250) 979-6550

Email: go_okanagan@shaw.ca

Address:
106-1223 Water St.
Kelowna, B.C. V1Y 9V1

The fucking man! Appreciate it bud! All three services including HD on 40 channels, free PVR/Free modem, plus $100 credit and family package (for the kiddos) and 250 LD for $59.99 for 6 mos. $94.90 after.....

:rockin:

Merci beacoup!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

CFP! wrote: Merci beacoup!
Leave this shit on the Island.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Aaronp18 wrote:
lol

I got the Optik 3yr contract with a free 40" tv for the kids ha, seems a bit much for a frickin' kids room though.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

SKYO wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
lol

I got the Optik 3yr contract with a free 40" tv for the kids ha, seems a bit much for a frickin' kids room though.

We got a free pvr at the time and a laptop w/3yr contract. Not a fan of Telus and their inconsistency.