Which Free Agents Should Gillis Shoot For

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Which Free Agents Should Gillis Shoot For

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Burrows and Kesler likely prove this theory wrong.

Raymond being a feather who struggles in physical games is hardly the coaches fault. In fact, he gave MR way more top minutes than I ever wanted to see in big games. This failure isn't anything to do with coach Vinyo

Hansen has shown some skill from the 3rd line and is one of maybe 2 or 3 bottom 6 that will still be around after this summer.

Kassian, Hodgson, Schroeder,etc haven't earned top minutes. Period. I can't see how this is debatable
I am not so sure that AV should take all the credits for how Burrows and Kesler developed. On the other hand, one could also argue that Burrows' and Kesler's offense contributed a lot to AV 's success.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Brad Richards could sign for dirt cheap this summer.

:rofl:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote:Brad Richards could sign for dirt cheap this summer.

Wonder if Aquaman told Gillis "Get Richards or you're fired!" :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:
Vader wrote:FWIW Hodgson was fairly productive in sheltered minutes...
I'd bet money that if Cody wasn't being pumped for a dump, his lack of defensive awareness would have had him in suit and tie or a Wolves uniform.

AV never coddled a young forward he coddled Cody.
He would have been sent down quicker if not for Hodgson, with his awesome sheltered minutes playing with the likes of Bitz and Weise, with occasional snipers such as Hansen, Malhotra and if he was lucky Raymond, who kept putting up points.

Crap players or not Cody just kept playing good offensively, creating numerous scoring chances and getting some timely goals in some big games.

Anyways it was a badly timed move for Gillis who was too eager to get a big power forward to play vs likes of the big bad bruins and other teams who have big players, as the unplanned happened with Kesler getting injured and Manny wasn't the same after his eye injury, leaving our center depth in shambles, as it still is now.

Too bad Hodgson's dad Chris, a politician in Ontario, who was a Progressive Conservative member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario from 1994 to 2003, and a cabinet minister in the governments of Mike Harris and Ernie Eves, was a fuckin' dick and meddled too much in the Canucks business regarding his son Cody.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Strangelove wrote:
Wonder if Aquaman told Gillis "Get Richards or you're fired!" :D
LOL. honestly I'm sure that situation had far more to do with "do something to address the problems or your fired" rather than "get Richards or your fired". Perhaps it morphed into the latter when the hamburglar was asked who he thought would be the solution and he said "Richards". But really had he done something to make the team successful under his tenure it wouldn't have mattered if Richards was part of that success or not. Missing the playoffs 2 out of 3 years at the helm and failing to address the problems he pointed out two years running is what happened. Same might happen with Gillis, but no question nonis would have loved a couple of first round exits as the canucks GM.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah no, just joking Tant.

Didn't Nonis claim he was fired because he wouldn't make that trade?

Always figured Nonis pulled that outta his ass to save face. :wink:

EDIT: here's an old article on dat dere:

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=234470

So sorta, kinda, maybe not? :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Jovocop wrote: I am not so sure that AV should take all the credits for how Burrows and Kesler developed. On the other hand, one could also argue that Burrows' and Kesler's offense contributed a lot to AV 's success.
Much like one could say the only reason AV won the Jack Adams award was because of Luongo.

AV's had it so lucky in Vancouver with solid goaltending through his entire stint with the Canucks. It will be interesting to see how he fairs in another market with average goaltending.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I would have liked to see Nonis go for Richards, I would have been happy with moving Edler+ to get him. But according to Nonis the only counter-proposal was both Sedins for Richards, so a no-brainer there.

If Richards does get bought out, there will be a huge demand for his services, particularly from Toronto I would imagine. He would be the cream of the UFA crop in my opinion.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

ESQ wrote:He would be the cream of the UFA crop in my opinion.
Apparently, skim milk isn't his "thing"
If you need air...call it in
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

If he's not bought out, what about Lou for B.Richards? Lunqvist only has 1 more year on his deal, so they can trade him to get something for him. :P

I would luv to see our team strong down the middle again.
1) Hank
2) B.Richards
3) Kesler (make him a checker again)
4) Lapdawg (resign him. offer him a 2 year deal @ like 1.2 Mill)
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Jovocop wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: Burrows and Kesler likely prove this theory wrong.

Raymond being a feather who struggles in physical games is hardly the coaches fault. In fact, he gave MR way more top minutes than I ever wanted to see in big games. This failure isn't anything to do with coach Vinyo

Hansen has shown some skill from the 3rd line and is one of maybe 2 or 3 bottom 6 that will still be around after this summer.

Kassian, Hodgson, Schroeder,etc haven't earned top minutes. Period. I can't see how this is debatable
I am not so sure that AV should take all the credits for how Burrows and Kesler developed. On the other hand, one could also argue that Burrows' and Kesler's offense contributed a lot to AV 's success.
Plus one.

For the AV pundits out there every success was due to his skill at coaching and every failure fell solely on the shoulders of the respective player. I would argue the successes were despite rather than because of AV, but thankfully whether I am right or wrong, the argument is now moot. Here's to moving forward and seeing what a new coach can do.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Another HUGE reason why I am glad AV is gone, he is not a coach who can develop a player.
How many fucking times do you need it drilled into your head.

Bieksa
Kesler
Burrows
Raymond
Hansen
Edler
Wow - your right I am wrong. 5 players in 7 years is developing young guys.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:

If he's not bought out, what about Lou for B.Richards?
If you're going for high priced centers, I'd much rather have the playoff superstar Briere, small and slightly injury prone, but come playoffs this guy is money, a Conn Smythe trophy type.
And unlike Derek Roy, DB is a sniper!

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Another HUGE reason why I am glad AV is gone, he is not a coach who can develop a player.
How many fucking times do you need it drilled into your head.

Bieksa
Kesler
Burrows
Raymond
Hansen
Edler
Errrr.....Tops?

I'll give you Bieksa and Hansen without question, and even Burrows to a large degree.

Kesler was still skating with guards on when Sundin showed up. The scuttlebutt is that it was Sundin who brought Kesler along. Kesler did develop his checking and shutdown game under Vigneault though.....

Edler is a disaster, one or two good seasons, loads potential, loads of issues. Another coach might actually have hammered some sense into him by holding him accountable for his many mistakes.

Raymond learned how to be defensively responsible, but he has long been touted as a speed, shooting, scoring, winger. He never truly became that under Vigneault.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:If you're going for high priced centers, I'd much rather have the playoff superstar Briere, small and slightly injury prone, but come playoffs this guy is money, a Conn Smythe trophy type.
And unlike Derek Roy, DB is a sniper!
Yeah, briere does step up in the playoffs, but I think richards is a few years younger and hasn't really had any injury problems. He actually has a conn-smythe under his belt too.